Red Nose Day

(06-03-2023, 10:18 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Tried to find out the official single for this year. Apparently, this has been done away with. Yes, not been once since 2017 but still content for the night lost.

And an avenue for raising money - but if they scrapped it, I guess it wasn't selling much anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • DE88

(06-03-2023, 12:03 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 10:18 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Tried to find out the official single for this year. Apparently, this has been done away with. Yes, not been once since 2017 but still content for the night lost.

And an avenue for raising money - but if they scrapped it, I guess it wasn't selling much anyway.

Also changing habits - as most people stream music these days, the revenue will be a lot lower than when people went out and bought physical media. The number of streams needed to bring in even minor amounts is pretty staggering. 

Long gone are the days when you'd see Andi Peters live from a CD factory.  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Earlie37's post:
  • DE88

Yes - probably cost more to produce than it would raise now, though if they get a decent name and a decent track it is at least publicity everytime it's played beforehand.

As with the Christmas schedules though the problem RND has now is there isn't really much to pick from - or indeed anything that springs to mind - when looking towards BBC comedies to supply special sketches during the night. I can't think of any comedy on air at the moment that I'm thinking would be a great hook for the night.

Comedy really does seem to be a genre that's died a death over the last decade to 15 years or so, especially the sort of comedy that would normally prop up Comic Relief.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

I guess in the absence of situation comedy then you could look to other formats like panel shows and entertainment formats.

McIntyre is the BBC's biggest comedy performer how come he's not involved?

I have not watched a Comic Relief show in years now, but I used to watch the show every other year when it came on. As a kid, what I liked about it was seeing the normal TV with its bum out. It felt a little rude, a little crass, but it raised money, and the show was very entertaining. I don't watch it now, because it just isn't any of that now. It still raises money, but my interest in the show is pretty low now.

If I were working at the BBC, or for Comic Relief, I would be pushing for a complete revamp of Comic Relief. Give it a bit of grit and edginess that has been lacking, and I would do that by getting new comedians, for starters. Have Lenny Henry still, but definitely pass the baton to some younger people. I'd also avoid making Comic relief versions of non comedic shows. Make Comic Relief be about the comedy again.

Make the first hour about CBeebies and CBBC comedy shows, then from 8pm, go for the prime time stuff, with music and sitcoms, and then 9-10 can be the edgier stuff. I would revamp the red noses too. Get some nostalgic impulse buys for retro noses. Have, say, the 1991 nose, the 2003 nose, and one of the more recent foam noses with the faces. That will raise a lot more charity money. And for subsequent years, make one unique nose again per year.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 9 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, Jeff, Kojak, Ma76, Nemesis Nick, RhysJR, rick, thePineapple

metro.co.uk 

It would be good if this was part of the main coverage but I expect it will be CBBC only. It's a heritage brand that older people are familiar with, but sadly there would be cries of "what's this doing on?!" from the audience who have been over-represented on BBC1 for so long.

(07-03-2023, 12:14 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  metro.co.uk 

It would be good if this was part of the main coverage but I expect it will be CBBC only. It's a heritage brand that older people are familiar with, but sadly there would be cries of "what's this doing on?!" from the audience who have been over-represented on BBC1 for so long.

"Blue Peter is set to undergo a huge change for Comic Relief, as for the first time in its 65-year history, it will be renamed and change colour."

How quickly we forget. Or maybe I'm just old.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 8 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, DE88, Happy2001, Ma76, RhysJR, TVFan, UTVLifer

A line from the Metro article

Quote:Jack and fellow housemates – broadcaster Vanessa Feltz, actress Claire Sweeney, Boyzone singer Keith Duffy and presenter Anthea Turner – will reflect on their eight days on Celebrity Big Brother.

Well I guess that solves the "will they show footage of Jack" then.
[-] The following 2 users Like TIGHazard's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay

Jack Dee appeared as a guest on Graham Norton a few years back and did discuss Celebrity Big Brother then. I think it was fairly clear that he allowed clips for that show because the entire programme was related to Comic Relief but wouldn't for any non charity clip show.

m.youtube.com