Challenge Anneka

(18-03-2023, 11:42 PM)HTVbest Wrote:  That was just too long a show!
The 90-minute broadcast slot did indeed make it feel very dragged-out, agreed.

Given that typically about 25% of each programme slot on commercial channels is the ad breaks, I suppose that the defacto episode length must actually be around 67.5 minutes?

I don't recall for sure how long the original BBC One era episodes were back-in-the-day, but I presume that they were in a 1-hour slot (and therefore 58-59 minutes, on the ad-free Beeb)?

To give a younger perspective, with me not been born when the original run was broadcast, and having recently gone through a rewatch of Treasure Hunt and Interceptor, I thought I'd give the old episodes of Challenge Anneka a go for the first time, seeing as I knew the show was being revived so I could have some comparison.

I certainly agree that it felt a bit dragged out for 90 minutes, even just reducing it by one part would have made a difference I think. Though I do think the charm of the original was present, even if the gap meant it felt a little 'Series 1' esque in the few examples of younger people not knowing about the concept or Anneka.

The in programme graphics were a bit poor, featuring a standard san-serif set out in small caps, though trying to subtly reference the original layout, despite not carrying over the flashing numbers when displaying the time left to complete the challenge. A nice update to the titles though...
youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • Former Member 406

(19-03-2023, 12:02 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
The 90-minute broadcast slot did indeed make it feel very dragged-out, agreed.

Given that typically about 25% of each programme slot on commercial channels is the ad breaks, I suppose that the defacto episode length must actually be around 67.5 minutes?

I don't recall for sure how long the original BBC One era episodes were back-in-the-day, but I presume that they were in a 1-hour slot (and therefore 58-59 minutes, on the ad-free Beeb)?

First series seems to be a 40 minute slot, and then it became 50 minutes when it ended up on Saturday night. According to Genome it started on a Friday, moved to Saturday, back to Friday, back to Saturday and then ended up on Sunday for its final series.

By the time it had been dumped on Sundays its lead-in was Songs of Praise and it led into Birds of a Feather according to this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Former Member 406

(18-03-2023, 11:43 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Also, I doubt they'd get away with hanging out the side of a helicopter, driving around with the presenter and crew being tossed from side to side in the back of an open pick up truck or some of the other antics they got up to on Treasure Hunt or Interceptor these days because of health and safety legislation.
Health & Safety ruins everything.  There was no health and safety back in the 80's & 90's. I'm not sure why they invented it.
To stop people dying and have life changing injuries I imagine.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bai4943, Former Member 406, London Lite, msim, News Engineer, Pips2022, Spencer, Stooky Bill

(18-03-2023, 11:43 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Health & Safety ruins everything.  There was no health and safety back in the 80's & 90's. I'm not sure why they invented it.

Stupid comment of the week award goes to  Rolleyes

Yes I was surprised when I looked at the EPG 50 minutes in and noticed we were only just over half way through.

The original series when viewed now is a tough slow watch, it feels dated by what's come since. This version has modernised its style and pace but by stretching it to 90 minutes they've counteracted that
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie, Pips2022

I think Juicy Joe was probably being sarcastic.
[-] The following 5 users Like James2001's post:
  • Alf Stewart, Brekkie, Juicy Joe, orange, thePineapple

(18-03-2023, 11:43 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Also, I doubt they'd get away with hanging out the side of a helicopter, driving around with the presenter and crew being tossed from side to side in the back of an open pick up truck or some of the other antics they got up to on Treasure Hunt or Interceptor these days because of health and safety legislation.
Health & Safety ruins everything.  There was no health and safety back in the 80's & 90's. I'm not sure why they invented it.
A sentiment I’m sure that if he was alive today that the late Michael Lush would have agreed with.

While some people complained about the pace and length of the programme, it fits in well to Channel 5's factual entertainment portfolio.

The relaunch reminded me of how much I enjoyed the old BBC show and having more time to show how the challenge is going gives more emphasis on how hard it is for the volunteers to get it ready in the time frame.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Juicy Joe

(19-03-2023, 12:47 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(18-03-2023, 11:43 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Health & Safety ruins everything.  There was no health and safety back in the 80's & 90's. I'm not sure why they invented it.
To stop people dying and have life changing injuries I imagine.
Yes, I am not disputing certain activities are dangerous and there should be obvious rules to prevent accidents, I was on about the more mundane ridiculous health and safety guidelines/rules that are abound these days that spoil the enjoyment of day to day life and how they are overly enforced, not just specifically in TV. 

H&S was around in the 80's but it was watered down. Possibly 1st about in 1833 but properly in 1974. I would have thought you would get away with dangling out of a helicopter on TV now - Gordon Ramsay by himself jumped out of a helicopter into water from height last year on Future Food Stars on the opening show which I thought was a bit risky but it was done. I'm sure there would be an easy way around it, like closing the helicopter door - I'm sure H&S hasn't changed that much since the noughties when Suzy Perry was the skyrunner and they managed to knock out 2 series. By comparison, I wouldn't expect to see anything like Michael Crawford rollerskating down steps and grabbing onto the back of a bus or driving a car into the sea at speed by himself risking his life, these days. I'd be interested to see what the TV specific Health and Safety rules would be for outdoor television events nowadays.

Anyway, this is a Programme Presentation thread so back to the discussion Heart :-

Considering you can pay money to go on helicopters with the doors off these days, the whole point being to either stick your legs out the side or wave a camera around to film something, its obviously not a problem to do that. Yes you'll probably have to be harnessed up to the heavens and back and maybe wear earplugs and probably generally sign a waiver agreeing you won't be an idiot while up there...
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • DE88, Juicy Joe