Challenge Anneka

Yeh too late and wrong day.

It needs a weeknight with maybe a teatime Sunday repeat.

(28-03-2023, 03:56 PM)Whataday Wrote:  It's definitely the right decision though.  The series so far has been really well received and it's being wasted in the Saturday night slot.

If it had fallen to 0.6m, it would stayed. It's funny that Channel 5 get criticised for removing underperforming shows but Channel 4 who do the same thing from time to time don't.

(28-03-2023, 04:37 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Yeh too late and wrong day.

Maybe just wrong time of year? As in, it might be fine if it was on an hour earlier, and not up against Takeaway (which seems to have been the reason for the late timeslot, they were trying to avoid that clash)?

(28-03-2023, 05:43 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 04:37 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Yeh too late and wrong day.

Maybe just wrong time of year? As in, it might be fine if it was on an hour earlier, and not up against Takeaway (which seems to have been the reason for the late timeslot, they were trying to avoid that clash)?

Yes but depending on the time of year an earlier Saturday slot it’d be up against either The Masked Singer, Michael McIntyre’s Big Show, Takeaway, BGT, Strictly or dumped in the middle of summer

Pretty poor treatment of a show to be honest, talent will be wondering why work with Channel 5 when they are so ruthless. Other channels like ITV stick with flops like Next Level Chef all the way to the end
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • DeMarkay, VMPhil

(28-03-2023, 06:20 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 05:43 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Maybe just wrong time of year? As in, it might be fine if it was on an hour earlier, and not up against Takeaway (which seems to have been the reason for the late timeslot, they were trying to avoid that clash)?

Yes but depending on the time of year an earlier Saturday slot it’d be up against either The Masked Singer, Michael McIntyre’s Big Show, Takeaway, BGT, Strictly or dumped in the middle of summer

Pretty poor treatment of a show to be honest, talent will be wondering why work with Channel 5 when they are so ruthless. Other channels like ITV stick with flops like Next Level Chef all the way to the end

Production companies can't afford to be picky and TBH Channel 5 aren't the only ones who pull underperforming shows, Channel 4 do it from time to time. In the case of ITV, they want to be the business of Ramsay and it was a fairly lengthy series at 8 episodes. ITV can suck up a failing series, Channel 5 can't.

CA lost half its audience week on week, that suggests the trajectory was only going one way.

No surprise with Channel 5 doing that. Very temperamental all round.

While C5 have a track record for pulling shows I actually think they are doing this for the benefit of the show and will bring it back (maybe in a shorter 60 min form) in a more appropriate timeslot. The show got too much press and rated well in the first ep for them to completely drop it so I think it will be back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gottago's post:
  • XIII

(28-03-2023, 07:16 PM)gottago Wrote:  While C5 have a track record for pulling shows I actually think they are doing this for the benefit of the show and will bring it back (maybe in a shorter 60 min form) in a more appropriate timeslot. The show got too much press and rated well in the first ep for them to completely drop it so I think it will be back.

I think this is them realising that the scheduling was a mistake.

I do laugh when people say why bother working for Channel 5 if they do this? Surely they would told upfront that if a show underperforms to that level, it'll get pulled. It's not something they do lightly.

Could it be that the show was punching well above its weight in the ratings to start with it being a reboot of a once popular show and what it got in its second week was about right for that type of show in the timeslot?

(28-03-2023, 07:39 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Could it be that the show was punching well above its weight in the ratings to start with it being a reboot of a once popular show and what it got in its second week was about right for that type of show in the timeslot?
Hopefully Channel 5’s two episode commission of totally original format Anneka Rice: The Challenge Will fair a bit better in a different time slot.
[-] The following 12 users Like Jon's post:
  • Andrew, Ash101, Brekkie, Juicy Joe, Larry the Loafer, London Lite, News Engineer, nwtv2003, radiorebel, SB678, SunburntRock89, VMPhil