Challenge Anneka

Let's hope it reappears soon before it loses more viewers and momentum from where it was and is fair on the good causes to have it pulled in such a rushed haphazard way - where do people think it should be broadcast then

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • LargelyALurker, UTVLifer, VMPhil

(28-03-2023, 08:43 PM)Torpido Wrote:  where do people think it should be broadcast then

Challenge Ben Frew.

I think most people questioned the scheduling. Too late. On a Saturday night where people are unlikely to look to Channel 5 for entertainment programming like this.

So in agreement with many, needed to be a weeknight or I think Sunday at 6.30 slot wouldn't be bad.

But at times like this I think who the hell is responsible for scheduling it in the first place? Surely a level of incompetence?!
[-] The following 3 users Like Belmont's post:
  • chrisdafur, Former Member 406, UTVLifer

(28-03-2023, 08:42 PM)XIII Wrote:  Anneka Rice mentioned that Challenge Anneka was on a floating schedule so it seems that talent and indies are aware that a show might get pulled if it doesn't perform.

Aren't pretty much all programmes on "floating schedules" to an extent?
If they don't get enough bums on seats they'll get replaced with something that does gets bums on seats in that slot, and the original non-bummer will get put somewhere else in the schedule - until probably about the third or fourth failure of attracting bums and then it'll get burnt off at some ungodly hour of the night where bums are less important to a degree and the show is never seen or mentioned again...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • UTVLifer

(28-03-2023, 10:32 PM)Belmont Wrote:  I think most people questioned the scheduling. Too late. On a Saturday night where people are unlikely to look to Channel 5 for entertainment programming like this.

So in agreement with many, needed to be a weeknight or I think Sunday at 6.30 slot wouldn't be bad.

But at times like this I think who the hell is responsible for scheduling it in the first place? Surely a level of incompetence?!

It's a bit unfair to say schedulers are incompetent, it's not an easy job at all. 

Because the programme is 90 minutes with ads, it can't air before 9pm on the weekdays and 1830 on Sunday means facing Countryfile and AR which probably is worse. I do wonder if they might reedit it into 60 minute episodes so it can air at 7pm or 8pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • chrisdafur

Ultimately what Anneka proved is that C5 have a higher share when they're sticking on historical Royal docs on a Saturday night than a new commission, which is sad, but C5 need all the audience they can get to keep advertisers happy.

(28-03-2023, 07:39 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Could it be that the show was punching well above its weight in the ratings to start with it being a reboot of a once popular show and what it got in its second week was about right for that type of show in the timeslot?

I mean it wasn’t just the trajectory….but its rating last Saturday was rather pitiful for that slot

I think it's safe to say Channel 5 wanted this to work. I am not sure the last show they made special ident/break bumpers for, plus Anneka has been on quite the promotional push for it.

But ultimately there were 2 big mistakes: day/time & show length.

It just isn't a Saturday night show, especially in a month where ITV1 have Takeaway and BBC One have The Wheel. It feels like it'd really suit them one evening at 8pm in a 60 minute format. Maybe it'd work at 9pm for 90 minutes, maybe it'd work in a Sunday night.

Probably didn't help that it got a pretty awful review on Gogglebox last Friday too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • UTVLifer

(29-03-2023, 12:02 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 07:39 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Could it be that the show was punching well above its weight in the ratings to start with it being a reboot of a once popular show and what it got in its second week was about right for that type of show in the timeslot?

I mean it wasn’t just the trajectory….but its rating last Saturday was rather pitiful for that slot

It will be when it's something totally different from what viewers expect.

It reminds me of the situation with Watercolour Challenge, another Channel 5 reboot. Scheduled at 4pm weekdays when nowadays that type of show is much later and another problem is there are already plenty of others shows like that. Similar to Challenge Anneka and DIY SOS etc. The TV landscape has changed.