Alastair Stewart to retire

(22-03-2023, 08:11 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  At a national level, the only person I can think  of who’s been on our screens regularly since the 1980’s and still on is Kay Burley.
Kirsty Wark is the only other presenter I can think off. If you expand out to correspondents, or presenters turned correspondents then the likes of Nicholas Witchell and John Simpson come to mind
[-] The following 1 user Likes excel99's post:
  • Pips2022

(22-03-2023, 05:34 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Although he showed himself up to be a bit of a tit in more recent years (subjective opinion)
The irony is for some time his Twitter bio has proclaimed his “love of balance” when his feed was anything but balanced for many months when he started at GBN.
[-] The following 8 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • Alf Stewart, bkman1990, Brekkie, GMc, Larry the Loafer, Ma76, orange, Pips2022

Shame after all these years his retirement is now so low key.

He left ITV News under a cloud and now the very fact he was at GB News means he is under a cloud

There would have been a big fuss if he’d retired after a few more years at ITV News
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Rijowhi

(22-03-2023, 09:20 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Shame after all these years his retirement is now so low key.

He left ITV News under a cloud and now the very fact he was at GB News means he is under a cloud

There would have been a big fuss if he’d retired after a few more years at ITV News
Yes, you can imagine he would have presented one last News at Ten, where they would have gone all out at the end, and maybe even a special tribute programme afterwards.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Rijowhi

(22-03-2023, 09:05 PM)excel99 Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 08:11 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  At a national level, the only person I can think  of who’s been on our screens regularly since the 1980’s and still on is Kay Burley.
Kirsty Wark is the only other presenter I can think off. If you expand out to correspondents, or presenters turned correspondents then the likes of Nicholas Witchell and John Simpson come to mind
Lorraine Kelly? Perhaps she strays too far towards entertainment to count.

(23-03-2023, 08:56 AM)chris Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 09:05 PM)excel99 Wrote:  Kirsty Wark is the only other presenter I can think off. If you expand out to correspondents, or presenters turned correspondents then the likes of Nicholas Witchell and John Simpson come to mind
Lorraine Kelly? Perhaps she strays too far towards entertainment to count.

Lorraine is entertainment/actress - remember she is for the purposes of tax playing the role of Lorraine
[-] The following 4 users Like mccanmat's post:
  • DavidV, James, Pips2022, Rijowhi

Yeah, Lorraine's not a newsreader, and she's far from the only TV presenter from the 80s still active.

(22-03-2023, 08:39 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Interesting that he retweeted this extremely critical take of GB News just a few days ago. A retweet doesn’t mean an endorsement of course, but it’s so scathing I can’t help wonder if it predicated Alastair not even getting a goodbye on-air

https://twitter.com/jmpsimor/status/1637393152230211584?s=46&t=VuE1pzJfIpHLDYD1boxSPw

I assume he was reTweeting Booker's reply with Simor's Tweet left in for context.   If he was agreeing with Simor, wouldn't he have just reTweeted her?

Alastair was up there alongside the greats of ITN, presenting alongside Burnet, Gall and Parkin.

It’s quite an achievement that someone from that era is still regularly on British television news today!
[-] The following 6 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, Kojak, Ma76, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell

When you worked alongside the greats, it's no surprise Alastair perfected his craft as a broadcaster.

While it can be said he was controversial on socials when he was still at ITN, he was very supportive of the up and coming broadcasters on ITV News.
[-] The following 7 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, JamesWorldNews, Jeff, Ma76, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell, Stockland Hillman