Paul O’Grady Has Died

(05-04-2023, 11:25 AM)Tola Wrote:  The article itself confirming the move to 4:
www.digitalspy.com 
Also references what would become BGT at the end.   I don't think Paul O'Grady did any primetime work for ITV whilst he did his C4 show.

(05-04-2023, 09:22 AM)Tola Wrote:  Around December 2005 is when his last edition aired on ITV; his chat show then moved to Channel 4 (as VMPhill said) in March of the following year.

Anyway, not wanting to turn this thread into a debate, an episode of Lily Savage's Blankety Blank (the final series Paul did for the BBC):
youtu.be 

There was also "The Lily Savage Show" from the previous year which wasn't well received and was even hated by Paul himself from memory.

Noteable how the first series went out as Blankety Blank then the second as Lily Savage's Blankety Blank.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Tola

I think it helped that by the time Paul returned to ITV, the team and management who let him go to Channel 4 were long gone.

(30-03-2023, 12:53 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  It was a pleasant surprise to see Gavin Scott from round here (and previous forums) paying tribute on BBC Reporting Scotland last night and on the BBC News website:

www.bbc.co.uk  

Must be an unusual feeling having watched a performance so recently, but I'm sure it will be a great memory to have.

Thanks for saying that. I ended up doing the live radio news at 12:30 too - they certainly got me as a gob-on-a-stick.

Yes, it was very peculiar to see the show and hear about this news. I saw he was trending on twitter in the morning and assumed many more people has seen him on stage.
[-] The following 3 users Like Gavin Scott's post:
  • Isonstine, Kojak, scottishtv

Paul actually wanted to lead a campaign to get a formal apology from London's Metropolitan Police when they raided the gay nightclub in where Paul had a residency for Lily Savage in the 1980's.

If Paul lead that campaign when he was still with us; I would imagine, considering all of the scandals that are ongoing with the London Metropolitan Police at the moment, that story would have a huge liklihood that it would hit the front pages instantly right across the UK.

It's just sad to know that he won't be one of the main faces of that campaign to actually express those words from now on. Although there would have to be other faces who now have to face up to that particular job in the near future.

(07-04-2023, 08:13 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Paul actually wanted to lead a campaign to get a formal apology from London's Metropolitan Police when they raided the gay nightclub in where Paul had a residency for Lily Savage in the 1980's.

If Paul lead that campaign when he was still with us; I would imagine, considering all of the scandals that are ongoing with the London Metropolitan Police at the moment, that story would have a huge  liklihood that it would hit the front pages instantly right across the UK.

Of all the things that don’t generally matter to the public, how gay people were demonised at the height of the AIDS crisis by the Met would place near the top the list. That’s not a judgement call,  just the reality that it didn’t impact 90% of the population despite being so world-ending to gay people and intravenous drug users. 

A Met apology on the front page of the tabloids? No. They could resurrect Kenny Everett and it wouldn’t place higher than page 7. 

Having lived through it in Edinburgh (dubbed “the AIDS capital of Europe”) phrases like “gay plague” were common in all press stories. Bars and clubs referred to as “sleazy haunts” ‘til well into the new millennium. The public didn’t like it or care about it then. Things have moved on but societal acceptance behaves like a pendulum. Inclusivity and empathy of ‘others’  vacillates between extreme positions.  

Sincere apologies for taking this down a rabbit hole, it’s just that my friend and I actually chatted about this the night we saw Paul’s show. 

His demands for an apology were earnest and sincere and lots of old geezers like me were glad of it, but there would be no grandeur. Paul just did it because it was the right thing to do. 

Peace out. x
[-] The following 12 users Like Gavin Scott's post:
  • Alessi, DeMarkay, dvboy, Gary Baldy, Kojak, Larry the Loafer, London Lite, Spencer, Steve in Pudsey, Tim G, Tola, TVFan

Nice tribute programme tonight

It was also good that they actually went into the archives and sourced proper quality clips of all the old programmes, rather than just using incredibly poor quality clips ripped off YouTube like a certain channel two buttons down would do
[-] The following 8 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay, fanoftv, Gary Baldy, GMc, London Lite, Ma76, tvwatcher

(10-04-2023, 01:13 AM)Andrew Wrote:  Nice tribute programme tonight

It was also good that they actually went into the archives and sourced proper quality clips of all the old programmes, rather than just using incredibly poor quality clips ripped off YouTube like a certain channel two buttons down would do

Yes, though that Chatty Man clip seemed to be sourced from YouTube- it appeared very laggy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary Baldy's post:
  • Reith85

(10-04-2023, 01:35 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(10-04-2023, 01:13 AM)Andrew Wrote:  Nice tribute programme tonight

Yes, though that Chatty Man clip seemed to be sourced from YouTube- it appeared very laggy.
Some of the clips that are only ever seen in blurry vision like the one where Lily was taking part in the wine tasting session on This Morning were much better quality than is usually seen

Agree, I was shocked at how good quality the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross clip was, considering it was 2010 at the latest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • bilky asko

(10-04-2023, 10:19 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  Agree, I was shocked at how good quality the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross clip was, considering it was 2010 at the latest.
Friday Night was produced in HD from late 2008 onwards. The clip was probably from one of the HD episodes.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bilky asko, London Lite, Ma76, Nige