Paul O’Grady Has Died

ITV1 just aired an old episode For The Love of Dogs instead of The Chase (presumably). It ended with silent credits, no voiceover and a tribute slide to Paul before going to an ITV1 ident into a break.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bennyboy84's post:
  • bkman1990, Toby brown

Could I politely ask other users to please read the whole thread first in future, the news that The Chase was being replaced by For the Love of Dogs was posted on page 2

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 5 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • bkman1990, eyeTV, JamesWorldNews, London Lite, Ma76

For The Love of Dogs replaced this evening’s edition of The Chase, apparently………

“Put the tape in, Bert”.
[-] The following 4 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite, Ma76, VMPhil

I remember seeing his series in the Orient a long time ago and was struck by how strong his emotions were. There was an episode where he had a bit too much to drink and was bitter about something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • bkman1990

Because it was a long time ago now I think sometimes it’s hard to remember that in the post-merger Charles Allen era, ITV1 was seen as a downmarket channel with not many programmes of high quality.

Initially the Paul O’Grady Show seemed like another forgettable daytime show that wouldn’t last very long, but it very quickly became a big hit.

I think a lot of it owed to the warm and including nature of the show, Paul used to speak to regular audience members and crew off screen, and it came across like you were part of this cosy little family.

The fact that ITV then quickly lost one of their few hits from this era shows how poorly managed the company was at the time. As mentioned previously, their ludicrous showing of old episodes at the same time against the new episodes on Channel 4 must be one of ITV’s lowest points.

I also really enjoyed the prime time version of the show after he moved back to ITV which I was always sorry wasn’t a bigger success.

And of course his wonderful Radio 2 show which was the perfect accompaniment to Sunday roast.

A natural broadcaster who will be much missed.

[-] The following 9 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AMM, chevron, Happy2001, Kojak, LargelyALurker, London Lite, Ma76, nwtv2003, Roger Darthwell

Does anyone remember the old Channel 4 Paul Ogrady show promo which was remake of NBC promo from 1991 ; "The Place to be" youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • fanoftv

It was a pleasant surprise to see Gavin Scott from round here (and previous forums) paying tribute on BBC Reporting Scotland last night and on the BBC News website:

www.bbc.co.uk  

Must be an unusual feeling having watched a performance so recently, but I'm sure it will be a great memory to have.
[-] The following 3 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • Gavin Scott, GMc, TVFan

I remember a few years before he came out as a cis-man named Paul O’Grady, seeing an outtake on something like It’ll be Alright on Night. It was a gameshow and instantly thought the host was actor behind Lilly Savage, I’ve no knowledge of him doing anything as the Paul O’Grady character prior to this broadcast which must have been showing a clip from quite a few years before. So my guess is I was either mistaken or it was from a pilot that he did out of character. Anyone got any ideas what it might have been?

First ever episode of the Paul O'Grady Show:

www.youtube.com 

[-] The following 6 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • bilky asko, DeMarkay, fanoftv, London Lite, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

It's been confirmed that tomorrow's episode of Bradley Walsh's Blankety Blank on BBC One at 7pm has been replaced by an episode of Lily Savage's Blankety Blank.

A great call there by the BBC.
[-] The following 9 users Like RDJ's post:
  • DeMarkay, DJ Dave, fanoftv, Happy2001, Jon, Juicy Joe, Larry the Loafer, London Lite, Ma76