Paul O’Grady Has Died

That was a very strong afternoon line up in that era. From memory Richard & Judy and Paul O’Grady took the 5-6 slot for 3 months each, which was an arrangement that worked out well for all parties, as all 3 were looking to reduce their workload if memory serves me well, and it didn’t do Channel 4 any harm in the ratings.

When Paul left Channel 4, how long did they keep his show/format on for without him? As it really wasn’t the same.
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • AJB39, fanoftv

I thought the press narrative at the time was that Richard & Judy were basically pushed aside to fit Paul in, and indeed their I’ll-fated move to watch happened before The POG Show ended. That said in some respects it was probably in their interests as POG on ITV was beating R&J at the time and the friendship between Paul and Richard & Judy didn’t seem to diminish with Paul appearing on their last show for example.

The strange 5 O’Clock show that replaced it, which was weird as it was The POG Show in all but name and host made by the same company but it didn’t last very long at all.

I do recall watching some of ITV’s “5 O’Clock Show with Richard Hammond” which they tried out while Paul was off air (very shortly before he defected to C4 so he never came back). But I can’t remember much other than Hammond seemed uncomfortable hosting it and that he clearly wouldn’t be doing it long term.

C4’s replacement when Paul’s show originally ended in 2009 was also called The 5 O’Clock Show which had rotating hosts each week (I recall watching Peter Andre hosting).

Fern Britton’s show in 2011 seemed to be C4’s biggest try at replacing Paul’s show in the schedule but it didn’t last very long at all.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Fern’s show was probably more similar to Richard & Judy in format also made by Cactus, however it did have a small audience.

The problem I had with rotating Richard & Judy with Paul O’Grady was they were very different shows, with the former being something that suited being on all year round as they’d have a discussion of topical events.

Im sure Peter Andre was supose to do all 8 weeks but wasnt able to so Channel 4 had to bring in guest hosts for other 6 weeks, However Fern Britton got the last 2 weeks.

The silent tribute slide to Paul after the jolly Blankety Blank credits hit me right in the knackers just then Sad
[-] The following 3 users Like Johnr's post:
  • Ma76, Nige, UTVLifer

Dale Winton on the panel too, also much missed. Must have been one of the first terrestrial appearances of Davina McCall as well.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • Kojak, Ma76, Nige, Roger Darthwell

Curious that the tribute slide was edited in *before* the original endboard.

(01-04-2023, 08:35 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Curious that the tribute slide was edited in *before* the original endboard.

Same thing happened with the Love of Dogs episode earlier in the week
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • IanJRedman, Ma76

EPG had it listed as HD and the picture quality was good.
Did the BBC produce HD programs in HD at 4:3 ?
Odd it wasn’t widescreen using new tech for that period.