Elections 2023

(20-04-2023, 08:26 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Oh and I really hope that they don't try to chameleon the lovely elections hexagon titles and graphics
Or, to give it its proper name, the elexagon.
[-] The following 11 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, JamieD, Jayesyn, Josh, PJamo, Quantum+83, RhysJR, Stuart, UTVLifer, xlalonce

Our first look at the new MegaDesk in Studio B, complete with elexagon

[Image: t8uV3HGG_o.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • oscillon

Here we go:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

(03-05-2023, 07:40 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Here we go:

twitter.com 

Kind of disappointed the Elections logo hasn't changed.

Makes more sense to do that when it's a general election?

(03-05-2023, 07:49 PM)GeeTeeKay474 Wrote:  

twitter.com 

Kind of disappointed the Elections logo hasn't changed.

It serves its purpose very well. 

Why change it? Because a handful of people on a TV pres forum think it's "tired"?
[-] The following 10 users Like LDN's post:
  • aaron_scotland, Adam Till, bkman1990, Hadrien, Jayesyn, Jeff, London Lite, Rxtx, Stuart, UTVLifer

The BBC have no money... utterly pointless to change it.
[-] The following 3 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(03-05-2023, 09:08 PM)LDN Wrote:  
(03-05-2023, 07:49 PM)GeeTeeKay474 Wrote:  Kind of disappointed the Elections logo hasn't changed.
It serves its purpose very well. 

Why change it? Because a handful of people on a TV pres forum think it's "tired"?
Indeed, it's quite inspired and was converted appropriately for the EU referendum.

From my perspective (I must have weak eyes) it's a nice 3D image of a ballot box containing just about every flavour of political colour you can imagine. I don't see any reason why they would change it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, LDN

I can see why people want a change, but frankly, its not that important in the grand scheme of things. Is it using Reith though?

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • bkman1990

twitter.com 

The Elexagon is staying -- but are those new election graphics in the faux newsroom background? 

Perhaps... just maybe, there might be a new title sequence in the hexagonal style? 

Surely, anything's got to be better than the lazy, sh*tty Houses-of-Parliament-from-every-b*stard-angle title sequence we got in 2019? 

www.youtube.com 

And WTF is that dreadful music about? It's like a goddamn funeral dirge. Who died? 

Compare with the BBC Elections 2010 coverage: 

www.youtube.com 

A stirring introduction - and literally an open-arms "Welcome to election night on the BBC!" from Dimbleby. 

Neatly animated visuals in the title sequence. 

Soaring theme music building to a compelling climax (oi, behave). 

...which leads into a lovely extended bed and rolling sequence, breathlessly summing up the breadth of coverage and the pool of knowledge that will expertly guide us, the viewers, through everything that's happening. Mmmmmm.... feel that warm embrace of the BBC.

Compare and contrast with the god-awful 2019 intro, in which the music and visuals set me up for the announcement of an upcoming Royal funeral, and everyone sounds like they're already there. If that's the intro to election night that the BBC wants to feed me, I'm already switching over to Gogglebox. 

I don't think there's any reason at all to replace the Elexagon. It's a simple (perhaps slightly obvious, and maybe even a little basic) design element that quite nicely does the job it's supposed to, while being almost completely inoffensive to almost everybody. It may not be brand new, but it still does the job it's supposed to quite well. 

The title sequence and soundtrack to BBC election coverage, on the other hand, is absolutely begging for attention. There's a stark contrast between Dimbleby's warm welcome and romping, pomp-filled, pageantry-evoking music of 2010; and the flat, damp, miserable, flaccid intro of 2019 -- and in my opinion at least, that side of BBC election pres certainly needs a good kick in the clunge.
[-] The following 8 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Jeff, Kojak, msim, Quantum+83, UTVLifer