Elections 2023

Yes, not sure where I got plinth from!

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • Moz

Oh wow.

I am really impressed with how B looks in Election mode on BBC One tonight.

It looks superb being lit up in purple. The lighting in B is absolutely perfect for it.

The catwalk with the curved screen looks great when it gives the viewers a look what look forward to the councils being determined for the seats.

I think it's going to be really difficult to beat the BBC when it's going against rival coverage when it's being provided by Sky News.
[-] The following 2 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Sky News's Vote 2023 is from Millbank with Jonathan Samuels with Tom Cheal in the Glass Box from the video wall. Looks like they have a steadycam operator in Osterley as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

@ALV beat me to it, but here's a few other snaps from the first 20 mins of BBC Elections 2023.

Intro from the tower: 

Rita on the catwalk, with glimpses of (fake!) activity on the upper level:

Updated graphics style with new BBC News logo:

Guests around the megadesk with election-branded faux newsroom design in the background: 

Back to the tower for a wider look at the whole studio:

[-] The following 2 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, Josh

(Got to do this as three separate posts, due to the seemingly arbitrary limit of attaching five images per post...)

From the title sequence: 

Title card: 

Wide view of megadesk:

Kuenssberg at the desk, with updated faux newsroom decoration, and full lower-thirds: 

Nice to see the return of the second 'description' line below the story title AND a fully operating flipper, showing both election results and general headlines. So these features apparently are useful after all, and the flipper definitely isn't too small to read on a mobile phone -- but these things are only true on election nights, obviously.

Focus on 'results tower': 

More presentation of information:

...and pushback with local results/data:

[-] The following 5 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, Jayesyn, Jeff, Josh, Quantum+83

Seems BBC One Wales crashed into the coverage half way through the opening which is odd - noticed that Wales was scheduled to start the coverage 5 minutes later than the other regions for some reason.

Besides this, I do enjoy how this is showing off the flexibility of Studio B. The tower showing the results is a nice touch, alongside the utilisation of the curved screen on the catwalk which has already been my favourite part so far - especially for showing data, graphs and info. Most sceptical about the background on the balcony, looks a bit cluttered in my opinion, though only a minor criticism. Otherwise, it's looking pretty good so far.
[-] The following 3 users Like newsdesk's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff

'Latest results' pushback:

Studio / location split-screen:

Camera position showing half of megadesk, overlooking faux newsroom: 

More data presentation:

...and close-up:

• bkman1990, Quantum+83

Guest positions at megadesk: 

Alternative angle:

Wide view across megadesk towards Reeta... 

...at the touchscreen... 

...where she's not actually touching the screen at all (note the clicker in her right hand)... 

...as you can also see in the GIF below:
ibb.co 

A few more GIFs. First, a quick look at the graphics used for data presentation, in action:
ibb.co 

Transition animation featuring the Elexagon:
ibb.co 

And a long, slow zoom to the results tower:
ibb.co 
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83

Multi-split-screen configuration, with presenter/guest split on left, and location on right:

First news bulletin of the night. As is tradition, after endless election coverage, the first story of the news bulletin is the election.

...because in the middle of an election programme, we need to be reminded that there's been an election, and we need more footage of polling centres and people counting votes. That's definitely a worthwhile use of the precious few minutes given to covering everything else that's happening around the entire world

Colour-coded results on the flipper -- this one for No Overall Control: 

GIF below: 
ibb.co  

...and here's the Labour version:
ibb.co 

...the Liberal Democrat version:
ibb.co 

...and the Conservative version, along with a view of how the graphics animate on the results tower: 
ibb.co 

The hexagon graphics on and around the tower, subtly pulsing with colour, look very pretty. It would have been nice to see more of this dark-but-colourful style across the rest of the election graphics, instead of so much dependence on plain white backgrounds.

The Steadicam came out to play during the 0200 hour, with a wide shot... 

...gradually zooming into tighter framing on Reeta at the Touchscreen That Must Not Be Touched:

GIF below: 
ibb.co 

Another look at the results tower -- but also at the faux newsroom on the Studio B upper level: 
ibb.co 

Even in this corner of the studio alone, I have to admire the attention to detail in the design of the upper level. Look, for example, at how naturally the screen is scrolling (in the top left) as the fake employee works on their computer. Or the changes in lighting on the fake people as they walk through the office. Or seeing someone appear to walk out of an office, and then appear from behind a server rack along the next wall, like they were walking down a corridor (the timing isn't quite perfect there, but it's still beautifully done). 

I'm very impressed -- not just by the design and the lovely details it contains, but also by how convincingly the illusion, of a whole extra floor filled with busy people, works from all angles of the lower level.

A few more GIFs. 

Steadicam pan from the monolith to the megadesk, including cameos from the studio cameras. (Do they have names? I feel like I need to name them.)
ibb.co 

'Who won in your area?' website/app promo:
ibb.co 

...and a smaller, more minimal L3 promo:
ibb.co 
[-] The following 7 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Hadrien, matthew, oscillon, UTVLifer, wontorra

(04-05-2023, 11:50 PM)ALV Wrote:  The color theme of this year's election is purple and white~
I think with the general demise of UKIP, it's fairly safe to use purple now without indicating any preference to a party. The elexagon has every political colour anyway, but it's nice to have the rest of the set showing what they can do aside from the white for bulletins or light blue for Sunday with LK.

I think it looks great in election mode. I confess I did a double take of the moving figures on the mezzanine before realising they weren't real. It's a nice touch. It shows the versatility of the set.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, thePineapple