Elections 2023

I think Laura K has been pretty good on the overnight show and Studio B looks lovely in elections mode

Bit of a slightly messy ending to the overnight program

Now on with Breakfast - Alex Forsyth is in the studio with an otherwise lonely Charlie, as Naga is at Westminster Abbey
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

BBC Breakfast studio in Elections 2023 mode:
[Image: bbc-election-2023-31.jpg]

Weirdly, BBC Breakfast used these minimal lower-thirds for the first few minutes of the programme. 
[Image: bbc-election-2023-30.jpg]

You can see them in action here... 
ibb.co 

...and here:
ibb.co 

Normal service was restored at 0609, when the regular Breakfast L3s returned:
ibb.co 

This isn't the first time we've seen the 'alternate' ultra-minimal L3s in action - they were previously seen (with an appropriately customised design) during the BBC Breakfast anniversary celebrations (see: pres.cafe ); and I think they were also seen (again, with relevant logo/customisation) during the BBC's Jubilee coverage. 

I haven't previously seen the version that appeared this morning on Breakfast (with a vertical grey bar and downward white wipe). Is this perhaps the BBC News 'sombre' graphics set -- entirely unbranded and monochromatic?

I know the Tories did badly, but I'm not sure it calls for a period of mourning!  Big Grin

Also on Breakfast, an appearance from the BBC News broom cupboard, showing 'London Newsroom' as the location: 
[Image: bbc-election-2023-32.jpg]

As always from this delightful new newsroom spot, the camera angle is typically dreadful, with a near focus on the least useful information on the screen, while the information we're supposed to see is so small as to be virtually illegible -- especially on mobile screens. You remember -- don't you, BBC News? -- those screens you were so terribly worried about when you were talking about people not being able to read the flipper? 

Why exactly is the setup here so sh*tty? Why did the BBC choose to make this new flagship newsroom location -- which appears across BBC News outlets -- look like the cramped display stand of a failing company at a trade show?
[-] The following 5 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Kojak, oscillon, UTVLifer

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • chrisherald

(05-05-2023, 07:02 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  twitter.com 

*throws coffee mug at screen*
[-] The following 1 user Likes LDN's post:
  • UTVLifer

(05-05-2023, 06:34 AM)LDN Wrote:  Weirdly, BBC Breakfast used these minimal lower-thirds for the first few minutes of the programme. 
[Image: bbc-election-2023-30.jpg]

Those have come back for the coronation coverage in the programme, this time with a crown to the left of the line.

Similar (but not quite the same) lower thirds are used on the news channel for recorded programmes whose captions can't interact with the ticker. I did wonder if they might have started the programme with these because there could have been some expectation that the election ticker would be continuing on during the programme, which would cover the normal lower thirds. But perhaps not.
[-] The following 5 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, JosiahStuart, UTVLifer

(03-05-2023, 09:08 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  The BBC have no money... utterly pointless to change it.

A lazy response, especially on a presentation format.   The BBC seem to put more effort into keeping the visual identity of their radio brands fresh nowadays than they do with TV, and especially news.   It's not money holding them back - it's a lack of creativity, ambition and vision.

Whilst I wasn't expecting change this year considering they've had yet another BBC News "refresh" which kept the tired old dated Lambie Nairn/David Lowe branding for what it's worth I don't think freshening things up for the next general election is an unreasonable request given it is basically the World Cup of News and each tournament gets it's own identity.

TBH it's not even the case of requiring revolution - the problem with the BBC Election branding since the introduction of the Elexagon and BBC News in general over the last 15 years is there hasn't even even any evolution.

(05-05-2023, 10:56 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(03-05-2023, 09:08 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  The BBC have no money... utterly pointless to change it.

A lazy response, especially on a presentation format.   The BBC seem to put more effort into keeping the visual identity of their radio brands fresh nowadays than they do with TV, and especially news.   It's not money jholding them back - it's a lack of creativity, ambition and vision.

Whilst I wasn't expecting change this year considering they've had yet another BBC News "refresh" which kept the tired old dated Lambie Nairn/David Lowe branding it's worth I don't think freshening things up for the next general election is an unreasonable request given it is basically the World Cup of News and each tournament gets it's own identity.

TBH it's not even the case of requiring revolution - the problem with the BBC Election branding since the introduction of the Elexagon and BBC News in general over the last 15 years is there hasn't even even any evolution.
What’s the point in changing something that works  well?

News and the Election branding are something the BBC has actually got right. There’s no point changing it for changes sake.

And the point about no evolution is just a tad off. The entire L3 has changed for a start…
[-] The following 12 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, DTV, Earlie37, Jayesyn, JosiahStuart, LDN, London Lite, Quantum+83, seenee, Stuart, UTVLifer

(05-05-2023, 10:56 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  A lazy response, especially on a presentation format. The BBC seem to put more effort into keeping the visual identity of their radio brands fresh nowadays than they do with TV, and especially news. It's not money jholding them back - it's a lack of creativity, ambition and vision.

Whilst I wasn't expecting change this year considering they've had yet another BBC News "refresh" which kept the tired old dated Lambie Nairn/David Lowe branding it's worth I don't think freshening things up for the next general election is an unreasonable request given it is basically the World Cup of News and each tournament gets it's own identity.

I'm not really sure you can dismiss other's points as 'lazy' when you resort to the same old unelaborated-upon clichés of things being 'tired' and 'dated' - especially as one of those charges is contestable and the other untrue.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, JosiahStuart, Quantum+83

It was clearly a televised rehearsal for the general election considering the only time the election studio was on air was from just before Midnight to 6am

Only a small number of hardcore would stay up all night for the local election results, so few will have seen it in action

The daytime coverage has been pretty poor really, basically a 5 hour debate between the host and a revolving set of guests, with the actual bulk of the results being mostly sidelined.
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Halo, LDN, UTVLifer