BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Baffling to go with live coverage for the Harry testimony considering they can't broadcast it live so need to package it up into reports or live recaps anyway, which surely come later in the day.

But yes - 9-12 is arguably prime time for UK breaking news and even if no other slots were retained this one should have been, and could probably have been funded by rejigging World so they have one less slot across the day.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(05-06-2023, 10:09 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  twitter.com 
The problem here is that even if BBC management finally realise this new joint channel is not working, it's too late to bring back two separate news channels, as all of the experienced journalists, editors, producers & technical staff who were running the separate UK news channel (and many long term experienced staff from World News as well) have left for new employment or retired. 

It's not as simple as just bringing back the on-air talent from the UK channel (who are apparently still on the BBC payroll but have been put on 'gardening leave') firing studio E back up, and starting a UK news channel again next week. So we are stuck with the current arrangement for the foreseeable future.
[-] The following 2 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

Let's be clear here. The BBC don't want to bring what they used to have back. If the current arrangement isn't working, they will likely just carry on until ratings plunge and then the BBC has an excuse to close down the channels. The BBC need to make changes to save money, but when there's outcries no matter what they do, the BBC will just have to act recklessly like they've done with the News channels.

I honestly can say that I do not watch BBC News anymore. It doesn't work for a UK audience and it doesn't work for a World audience. Sky News I used to think was terrible but now is really the only option to get a British rolling news service.
[-] The following 8 users Like RDJ's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, seenee, UTVLifer

(26-04-2023, 11:17 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  That really doesn’t make sense - the ‘in the next 60 minutes’ part doesn’t work for the non-U.K. audience that only get the first half hour of the programme (unless a different intro is somehow not going out on the world feed?). 

It’s also just really clunky and unnecessary in general. Why not ‘Live from London, this is BBC News’ as I thought it was to be?

(06-06-2023, 11:16 AM)RDJ Wrote:  Let's be clear here. The BBC don't want to bring what they used to have back. If the current arrangement isn't working, they will likely just carry on until ratings plunge and then the BBC has an excuse to close down the channels. The BBC need to make changes to save money, but when there's outcries no matter what they do, the BBC will just have to act recklessly like they've done with the News channels.

I honestly can say that I do not watch BBC News anymore. It doesn't work for a UK audience and it doesn't work for a World audience. Sky News I used to think was terrible but now is really the only option to get a British rolling news service.
I have been impressed with SKY's coverage this morning

(06-06-2023, 11:16 AM)RDJ Wrote:  Let's be clear here. The BBC don't want to bring what they used to have back. If the current arrangement isn't working, they will likely just carry on until ratings plunge and then the BBC has an excuse to close down the channels. The BBC need to make changes to save money, but when there's outcries no matter what they do, the BBC will just have to act recklessly like they've done with the News channels.

If any channel is to go, it will be the UK feed of the new channel. Many, including myself, wondered why on earth this compromise fudge of a channel was put together in the first place, when it made much more sense to put 24/7 BBC World News out in the UK, even if just on iPlayer with the World breakfillers ('On this day in history'), so there was no ambiguity about what kind of news service UK viewers were getting.

If the BBC doesn't want to or doesn't have the means to provide a UK TV news channel anymore they just need to be upfront about it. The news channel is not plugged on the BBC 1 domestic bulletins anymore, for more 'news & analysis' BBC 1 viewers are directed to the website or iPlayer. 
Why not just admit that the BBC website and iPlayer are there for more news & analysis as well as domestic BBC 1 bulletins, and UK viewers can also now watch our international news channel, BBC World News, 24/7, without adverts, on iPlayer?
[-] The following 7 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, ilsondan15, LargelyALurker, Quantum+83, Stuart, SuperSajuuk

(06-06-2023, 11:37 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  If any channel is to go, it will be the UK feed of the new channel. Many, including myself, wondered why on earth this compromise fudge of a channel was put together in the first place, when it made much more sense to put 24/7 BBC World News out in the UK, even if just on iPlayer with the World breakfillers ('On this day in history'), so there was no ambiguity about what kind of news service UK viewers were getting.

If the BBC doesn't want to or doesn't have the means to provide a UK TV news channel anymore they just need to be upfront about it. The news channel is not plugged on the BBC 1 domestic bulletins anymore, for more 'news & analysis' BBC 1 viewers are directed to the website or iPlayer. 
Why not just admit that the BBC website and iPlayer are there for more news & analysis as well as domestic BBC 1 bulletins, and UK viewers can also now watch our international news channel, BBC World News, 24/7, without adverts, on iPlayer?

That would make much more logical sense, the Uk part of the service looks terrible, it’s so bad they can’t even play titles and they just have any old presenters in front of a tv screen, the Uk service needs to go.
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • Newsroom, Radio_man, Stuart

As an aside, I hadn’t checked in a long time, but Virgin Media cable in Ireland is still carrying both feeds - U.K. feed on 201 (labelled, I kid you not, “BBC News 24”!) and international feed on 206 (labelled “BBC News”). This is on the legacy Mediabox platform (but likely to be same for Horizon 3), the newer TV360 platform has a different EPG numbering system so can’t speak for that.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, LargelyALurker

Off-topic, but I noticed they had Joshua Rozenberg on earlier in the One, commenting on the Prince Harry story. All I could think about was this from one of his previous appearances on BBC News...

youtu.be 

(06-06-2023, 10:14 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  But yes - 9-12 is arguably prime time for UK breaking news and even if no other slots were retained this one should have been, and could probably have been funded by rejigging World so they have one less slot across the day.
The thing, though, about slots and costs is not so much about whether they exist, but the level of content you want from them. Purely in terms of presenters, gallery, duty editor and studio costs, six hours of separate UK content per weekday would cost no more than about £2-3m a year, a tiny fraction of the overall cost of the current news channel.

But to not cost more, such output would have to be almost entirely reliant on content that already existed - VT reports and graphics that would be produced anyway, DtL reports that would be in place anyway and the occasional utilisation of spare reporters already in the building. It wouldn't be terrible, but it would be lesser even than the output that you got in the last days of separation. Extra reporters for extra content, unique location reporting - all that sort of stuff is where the cost really is. Even something as seemingly minor as external contributors can rack up £100ks over the year.

I agree that some degree of separated weekday daytimes would probably have been a more acceptable and sensible compromise, even if likely presentationally duller. But now it's gone and in the current circumstances, I wouldn't bet on such a reversal. - even though relatively low, such levels of expenditure just aren't commensurate to the level of public outcry that has been exhibited so far.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

Rdd Wrote:As an aside, I hadn’t checked in a long time, but Virgin Media cable in Ireland is still carrying both feeds - U.K. feed on 201 (labelled, I kid you not, “BBC News 24”!) and international feed on 206 (labelled “BBC News”). This is on the legacy Mediabox platform (but likely to be same for Horizon 3), the newer TV360 platform has a different EPG numbering system so can’t speak for that.

The channel numbers are the same on the newer TV360 platform and the UK feed is now called BBC News on it.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, Rdd