BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

This overnight in DC it is Erin Delmore presenting - I don't think I've seen her in that role before, so it must be a first for her!

[-] The following 3 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice

(30-03-2024, 12:42 PM)newsjunkie Wrote:  On the cost bit here, while it may be cheaper than commissioning a full 'from the field' report, those 'wall' graphic sequences are very time consuming and pretty resource intensive. And they would probably cost about the same as the normal news package (which often includes agency picture or material filmed by the wider newsroom along with some bespoke content) when it gets to the end of the day. I would imagine it is more of a decision to diversify from the main news bulletins on other channels which would usually have covered that story with a traditional news package.

And on news channel I guess running packages indeed costs less than DTL with correspondents. Mostly those packages are from Breakfast, One, Six and Ten - for example on the day after Steve Wright’s passing was announced, they run a Ten package, which was from 15 hours ago.

I’m fine with the DTL or some people might call it “talking” format but only if it’s with the reporters or someone who can provide proper analyses. After the merger there’re mainly discussions and reactions.
[-] The following 4 users Like Frances's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, thePineapple

(31-03-2024, 03:37 AM)oscillon Wrote:  This overnight in DC it is Erin Delmore presenting - I don't think I've seen her in that role before, so it must be a first for her!

I think she’s popped up in that slot a couple of times so far this year. From what I have seen she seems quite good!
[-] The following 5 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, oscillon, UTVLifer

(29-03-2024, 02:36 PM)DTV Wrote:  Not entirely caught up with things the last few months, so apologies if this has been mentioned before, but not seen the aston style in this clip before. Can definitely see how you could adapt it for TV, though odd that the animation ends with a blinking colon when it'd surely be possible to work in the BBC News icon.
www.bbc.co.uk 

Well the current Aston’s graphics package is 5 years old dosent really work with the chameleon look, they should relook at it really.

(29-03-2024, 02:36 PM)DTV Wrote:  Not entirely caught up with things the last few months, so apologies if this has been mentioned before, but not seen the aston style in this clip before. Can definitely see how you could adapt it for TV, though odd that the animation ends with a blinking colon when it'd surely be possible to work in the BBC News icon.
www.bbc.co.uk 

I presume they have been designed to work best with web video, leaving space for both the translated subtitles, and the subtitles generated on the user's end.
[-] The following 3 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice

www.bbc.co.uk 

100% think they need to expand on this concept for broadcast and bring in the 3 block service identifier for the titles instead of the current globes.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 3 users Like Moz's post:
  • Brekkie, harshy, Imaginativename

Chris Cook confirming this is the way they’re going….!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • interestednovice

(01-04-2024, 09:49 AM)Moz Wrote:  Chris Cook confirming this is the way they’re going….!

I’m not a fan of the black background like they used in the clam shell years. I think the current white looks better on screen. The globe is a much more iconic BBC News symbol than those blocks, but it does look more modern and simple. A look that a lot of brands are going for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chud's post:
  • interestednovice

And he’s just confirmed to me that it is indeed an April fool, seems it’s a little tongue-in-cheek dig at consistency…or lack of!!
[-] The following 5 users Like markhamblett's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, peter, Stuart

(01-04-2024, 10:07 AM)markhamblett Wrote:  And he’s just confirmed to me that it is indeed an April fool, seems it’s a little tongue-in-cheek dig at consistency…or lack of!!

Well that’s spoilt that! Perhaps leave it until noon as is the tradition?