BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

😬😬😬 sorry… I’m on holiday abroad!!

(01-04-2024, 10:05 AM)Chud Wrote:  I’m not a fan of the black background like they used in the clam shell years. I think the current white looks better on screen. The globe is a much more iconic BBC News symbol than those blocks, but it does look more modern and simple. A look that a lot of brands are going for.

I agree. The globe should remain. I don´t understand the idea of the "circles". Plus, it is already the symbol of BBC One.
[-] The following 5 users Like Lec_Ver16's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Rolling News, Stuart, UTVLifer

The font appears to have been updated on the pushbacks.

ibb.co 
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Moz, oscillon, Reith85

I've noticed that the BBC English region's Twitter profiles have all adopted new purple logos and ditched the 'News' suffix from their names (i.e. BBC London News is now simply BBC London). Several of the logos look very botched as they have strange proportions. This is particularly apparent in the regions with longer names.

I wonder if this is part of an effort to unify the TV and radio offerings from the regions under one brand? Over time I could see them closing down the smaller accounts for the Local Radio stations and just using the larger accounts for the wider regions.

I realise that many stations have already dropped having 'Radio' in their name, but it seems as if more have now followed suit.

Here's BBC London's profile as an example up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[-] The following 7 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, RhysJR, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(31-03-2024, 07:15 AM)Frances Wrote:  And on news channel I guess running packages indeed costs less than DTL with correspondents. Mostly those packages are from Breakfast, One, Six and Ten - for example on the day after Steve Wright’s passing was announced, they run a Ten package, which was from 15 hours ago.

I’m fine with the DTL or some people might call it “talking” format but only if it’s with the reporters or someone who can provide proper analyses. After the merger there’re mainly discussions and reactions.

Kind of depends on the type of package and the type of guest and location, I suppose.

If you have a full time correspondent in a full BBC bureau, the production cost is essentially zero - the line connectivity is always on, they are already being paid, they just need to sit in front of a camera and talk. This would be different if the same correspondent is in the field or a smaller BBC office, or one hired from a third party, as you then have hire/travel/connectivity costs. And guests (non BBC staff) often are paid per contribution. Once the interview is over it can be replayed in the same way a package can be.

Depending on the complexity of a package, you might need to allocate three or four people to work on it - researcher to get permissions, correspondent and technician to record, and a picture editor to edit. May even need additional techs or a producer to be involved. You might need to pay for rights to use footage included in it, or guests to appear in it. You might need to involve other people in NBH to record extra material or interviews.
[-] The following 10 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chris, chrisherald, DTV, Frances, interestednovice, lepeterrr, Omnipresent, Stuart

(05-04-2024, 11:05 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  I realise that many stations have already dropped having 'Radio' in their name, but it seems as if more have now followed suit.

I thought several actually added ‘Radio’ to their names a few years ago such as Tees, CWR and Hereford & Worcester. Or have the changed again?

(06-04-2024, 08:15 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I thought several actually added ‘Radio’ to their names a few years ago such as Tees, CWR and Hereford & Worcester. Or have the changed again?

I'm not sure what the thinking is behind dropping 'Radio' from the names and logos on social media - maybe because they are 'online' and not 'radio'? - but the radio stations themselves have certainly not dropped the word 'Radio' from their names and remain unchanged.

There is now the rather odd situation that South East Today and BBC Radio Kent have both renamed their Facebook accounts to 'BBC Kent', leaving Kent with two Facebook pages, both of which are active and being updated.

www.facebook.com 

www.facebook.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Robert Williams's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, LargelyALurker

(06-04-2024, 08:35 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  There is now the rather odd situation that South East Today and BBC Radio Kent have both renamed their Facebook accounts to 'BBC Kent', leaving Kent with two Facebook pages, both of which are active and being updated.

There was a similar situation in the South West. BBC Spotlight and BBC Radio Devon rebranded their Facebook pages to 'BBC Devon', so there were two for a while, both being updated with identical posts. Seems they have either been merged now, or one deleted.

BBC Radio Cornwall's page was also rebranded to BBC Cornwall.

It does seem slightly unfair that the BBC Spotlight page, with a larger following (across Devon AND Cornwall) was rebranded to BBC Devon, giving the Devon page an unfair advantage over the Cornwall one.

The local rebrands in general do seem like a backwards step in my opinion. The pages are mostly posting news, so to move away from the red BBC News colour scheme and naming is quite strange. I think BBC News Devon, BBC News Cornwall etc. would make sense, and also tie in with the local news sections on the BBC News website.
[-] The following 5 users Like James's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, LDN, Stuart, TJTSW

A classic of the genre. Maybe they should move in Studio E when it reopens to be right next to people from BBC News?? Big Grin

twitter.com 
[-] The following 10 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, Bungo Bill, chaose, chrisherald, interestednovice, Michael Wotton, Reith85

There’s definitely some home made stuff going on. This was on the news channel. Old Logo with new purple background.
[-] The following 5 users Like Chud's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, LargelyALurker