BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I'll admit I don't watch the channel very often but it sounds like the channel doesn't cover more than 2-3 stories in an hour!

When there are more stories+packages on a 6 minute WS bulletin or even 2min R4 summary surely there's something that's gone wrong.

I think over on the World Service, Newshour manages to cover at least around 7 or 8 stories in 45mins with a mixture of packages and interviews, whilst The Newsroom covers around 4/5 in 20 minutes.
WS has harder "hard posts" than NC too! If presenters overrun they just get cut off on all feeds - it happened today to the veteran Julian Marshall.

Especially now that there aren't radio-specific reporters anymore I imagine nearly all packages have visual footage attached to them. What's stopping them from showing these rather than putting out what sounds like continual inane, inconsequential pontification.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 7 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald, DTV, Frances, Independent, LargelyALurker, PatrZDZ, scottishtv

(11-04-2024, 05:07 PM)Lec_Ver16 Wrote:  The globes that are shown on studio B and C. They were clearly re-rendered (practically there aren`t shades of orange anymore) and the new logo fits them well. For some reason, the intro wasn`t changed to this version. Even some regions (like Scotland) re-rendered the globe on their intros.

Ahhh. Just looked at them more closely and you’re right. No orange at all. They look much better so as you say it’s odd they’re not used for the main titles.

I just hope that the reason is - together with the temporary nature of the circle titles of the specific programmes - this points to proper new titles soon.

But if they’re doing that why did they create new graphics for the screens?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • thePineapple

(12-04-2024, 11:04 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  I'll admit I don't watch the channel very often but it sounds like the channel doesn't cover more than 2-3 stories in an hour!

When there are more stories+packages on a 6 minute WS bulletin or even 2min R4 summary surely there's something that's gone wrong.

I think over on the World Service, Newshour manages to cover at least around 7 or 8 stories in 45mins with a mixture of packages and interviews, whilst The Newsroom covers around 4/5 in 20 minutes.
WS has harder "hard posts" than NC too! If presenters overrun they just get cut off on all feeds - it happened today to the veteran Julian Marshall.

Especially now that there aren't radio-specific reporters anymore I imagine nearly all packages have visual footage attached to them. What's stopping them from showing these rather than putting out what sounds like continual inane, inconsequential pontification.
One day I saw the news channel devoted almost a full bulletin to Gaza, then briefly talked about the 1994 Rwandan genocide, and the news ended. It’s not more informative than a hourly radio bulletin, even than a shorter Newsbeat update.

I’m fine with formats other than packages but I don’t get why they talk that much especially when there aren’t so many significant developments. 5 Live also doesn’t run packages but they do much better.
[-] The following 3 users Like Frances's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(12-04-2024, 01:08 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  Martine hints at a May return being on air

twitter.com 

A return in May at the same time as the News at One moves to Salford? Could Martine finally get a role she deserves? Ben Brown is back on the News Channel ane Jane Hill is more often on the Six and Ten now so it could leave a space for Martine if she’s willing to go to Salford.
[-] The following 5 users Like graemedsheridan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, markhamblett, Rolling News, UTVLifer

Hasn’t it been said the One’s move to Salford is still a few months away. The extension to 60 minutes doesn’t fully work until Doctors ends in December.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • UTVLifer

The ad for chief presenter in Salford went out last week. Think it also states they may be on the news channel for 3 hours.

I guess the election may affect the plans for the One - I think sometimes it's extended during election periods anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

With the move to Salford, Studio B will be used for just 2 hours a day + sundays with Kuenssberg.
I think that the studio should be used again (like the first days at NBH) for some new branded programmes on BBC News Channel. And i mean real programmes and not generic newscasts like News Now or Verfied Live.
The rest of the day (minus the Salford slot and overnights) could be from Studio E with opt-outs from the UK feed from Studio C. That would be the best scenario.
[-] The following 7 users Like Lec_Ver16's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, James, janewaysbun, kookaburra, MLehon, Stuart

BBC News (UK Feed) sticking with the World Feed through Breakfast to cover the Israel-Iran story.
[-] The following 2 users Like AntandDec_Fan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

I assume Matthew Amroliwala has been brought in due to the Israel-Iran story, rather than he was originally scheduled to host the lunchtime BBC One bulletin on a Sunday?
[-] The following 7 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, News76, UTVLifer

(14-04-2024, 01:07 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I assume Matthew Amroliwala has been brought in due to the Israel-Iran story, rather than he was originally scheduled to host the lunchtime BBC One bulletin on a Sunday?

That’s very likely. Geeta Guru-Murthy and Maryam Moshiri presented the two morning slots today on the NC who I imagine were brought in due to the Israel-Iran story, and I guess Matthew will also be on the NC this afternoon.
[-] The following 8 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, News76, oscillon, RhysJR, UTVLifer