BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(23-04-2024, 03:59 PM)Globaltraffic24 Wrote:  Don’t get me started on the written test. This whole process is an example of weak leadership allowing HR to run the show. NEVER allow your people team to run these processes.

This has been a problem in the Beeb for a long while but supercharged under chief people officer Uzair Qadeer whose job description alone is a completely meaningless word salad:

Quote:He oversees the full spectrum of global human resources capabilities across the BBC Group and is responsible for driving the BBC’s short- and long-term employee experience, cultural transformation, and organisational change through the people agenda.

For clarity, the NUJ forced a long-time ban on many roles being advertised externally but that’s now ended. I’ve said it before here but all the people I know at the BBC are either clamouring to get out or staying put only because there are so few alternative journalism jobs around at the moment - there are very few permanent jobs being handed out pending the next licence fee settlement, so instead people are scrapping over short-term contracts and very poor recruitment decisions being made. A couple of employees I’m friends with are plotting new careers outside media because they’re so miserable at New Broadcasting House.

This thread has already touched on the complete Horlicks made of the most recent pol ed recruitment (where Chris Mason was effectively ruled out before management did a reverse ferret and begged him to apply); the chief pol corr farce (where Nick Eardley who stepped up to the role was bizarrely overlooked in favour of a journalist from The Times with no broadcast experience and demoted to occasional spots on the BBC Verify screen before his recent return to Millbank) and now this royal editor farce. It’s as if they’re deliberately trying to rile up their most trusted and talented faces and voices and drive them out.

That leaves the BBC in a situation where long-standing journalists end up with understandable chips on their shoulders while under-qualified (and most definitely underpaid) newbies try to keep the machine running to a much lower standard than 10 or 15 years ago, creating mass disillusionment not just with HR and poor management but the product as a whole.

The whole thing stinks and I have no idea what the solution is.
[-] The following 7 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Bungo Bill, chrisherald, DTV, interestednovice, MLehon

(24-04-2024, 07:42 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  That might depend on how much Sarah is going to be presenting Breakfast and for how long. If she is now the third presenter i.e. primary cover for both Sally and Naga that might be preferable to being an on screen editor that may not actually be on air much.

Sarah isn't "the third (female) presenter", Nina Warhurst is the next cab off the rank in that respect. Sarah does Sundays on an ad hoc basis, but a lot of her appearances in the latter half of last year was down to Nina being on maternity leave.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, MLehon

Is the next change that we are gonna see studio E instead and some new branded shows in May?
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

Are there any more shows left to brand, and any more ways to create basic circle animations for their opening titles?
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chaose, chrisherald, interestednovice, JJJJ, LDN, UTVLifer

The News at One is coming from Studio D today.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, Chud, interestednovice

(25-04-2024, 01:00 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  The News at One is coming from Studio D today.

They played in the numberless generic titles rather than the '1's' titles instead.

Doesn't BBC London's lunchtime bulliten usually come from that studio?
[-] The following 2 users Like TVfan23's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

Jane stood next to a screen to allow the London presenter to sit at the desk.
[-] The following 3 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

(25-04-2024, 01:00 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  The News at One is coming from Studio D today.
I thought it looked rather nice. Actually much better than the 'abandoned warehouse of news', with all its gadgets and gizmos,
[-] The following 10 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jayesyn, MLehon, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer

I imagine the upgraded E will eventually look quite similar to how D now looks, with a tower screen but keeping the circular desk look. I do like that style, and find it more “friendly”, if that makes sense, than Studio B. I do think B suffers from the stark graphics quite a bit - I much prefer it with Laura K’s backdrop instead, and that programme really shows off the studio.
[-] The following 7 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, janewaysbun, Michael Wotton, Stuart, UTVLifer

(25-04-2024, 02:30 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I imagine the upgraded E will eventually look quite similar to how D now looks, with a tower screen but keeping the circular desk look. I do like that style, and find it more “friendly”, if that makes sense, than Studio B. I do think B suffers from the stark graphics quite a bit - I much prefer it with Laura K’s backdrop instead, and that programme really shows off the studio.

I couldn’t agree more with you. They could have given E a similar look as the new breakfast studio except having the newsroom view instead of the screen they have in Salford. It would have been scalable for the regions too. B just looks too big but then that desk area is all hemmed in. It’s also like a show room of all then different things you could have in a news studio.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 3 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald