BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The preliminary legal hearing of Martine Croxall, Karin Giannone, Kasia Madera, and Annita McVeigh begun this morning. Geeta Guru-Murthy has withdrawn from the process. Quite a few strong claims from the women, with Tim Davie implicated for the first time.

And get well soon Karin with what looks like a bad leg injury!

deadline.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald

(18-04-2024, 05:41 PM)LDN Wrote:  The Deadline article has been updated, and now reports that all five of the 'exiled' female presenters are taking part in the aforementioned employment tribunal against the BBC.

Full article here: deadline.com 
A small update worthy of note is that the presenters employment tribunal commenced today. It appears that Geeta Guru-Murthy has withdrawn from the legal action, meaning it's only four presenters involved. It's also been noted that director general Tim Davie was embroiled over alleged comments he made back in Oct 2022 to Kasia Madera.

There's an article at deadline.com  and it's covered on a few other newspaper websites.

It looks like they're hoping for a full hearing "potentially later this year", so there's probably not much to add until then. Hopefully the legal action won't result in them being kept off screen until its resolved. One assumes that this particular subject won't get reported on the News Channel when any of these presenters are on air.

(EDIT: Looks like RhysJR beat me to posting this.)

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, RhysJR

(01-05-2024, 01:25 PM)Keith Wrote:  A small update worthy of note is that the presenters employment tribunal commenced today. It appears that Geeta Guru-Murthy has withdrawn from the legal action, meaning it's only four presenters involved. It's also been noted that director general Tim Davie was embroiled over alleged comments he made back in Oct 2022 to Kasia Madera.

There's an article at deadline.com  and it's covered on a few other newspaper websites.

It looks like they're hoping for a full hearing "potentially later this year", so there's probably not much to add until then. Hopefully the legal action won't result in them being kept off screen until its resolved. One assumes that this particular subject won't get reported on the News Channel when any of these presenters are on air.

(EDIT: Looks like RhysJR beat me to posting this.)

They are currently covering this story just now on the news channel.
[-] The following 3 users Like Universal_r's post:
  • chrisherald, oscillon, TVFan

Nothing more the BBC love than reporting on the BBC, even though nobody from the BBC is ever willing to speak to the BBC about the BBC.

On a similar theme of how the BBC covers stories about itself, I was intrigued by this article

www.bbc.co.uk 

Why is the BBC getting a photo of BH Belfast from the PA?
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, IanJRedman

I am not sure myself. Vincent Kearney has worked as the Northern Editor for RTÉ News for a number of years. The same photo of Vincent Kearney is also seen on the RTÉ News app as well.

If paramilitary groups were looking up on his movements while he made the documentary for BBC Spotlight NI in 2011.

Other NI based journalists also have to look up their movements too since this story came out to light yesterday.

It is a really important one to highlight as journalists are meant to have freedom to be working on significant stories that require investigative journalism that is about NI's past or within NI itself in the present day.

(01-05-2024, 01:15 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The preliminary legal hearing of Martine Croxall, Karin Giannone, Kasia Madera, and Annita McVeigh begun this morning. Geeta Guru-Murthy has withdrawn from the process. Quite a few strong claims from the women, with Tim Davie implicated for the first time.

And get well soon Karin with what looks like a bad leg injury!

deadline.com 

The case of Martine Croxall, Karin Giannone, Kasia Madera, and Annita McVeigh will go to a full tribunal on counts of age and sex discrimination, but not on the grounds of equal pay. There will be a three week hearing in March 2025, but one would hope they should be on air before then.

twitter.com 

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite

(02-05-2024, 04:48 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The case of Martine Croxall, Karin Giannone, Kasia Madera, and Annita McVeigh will go to a full tribunal on counts of age and sex discrimination, but not on the grounds of equal pay. There will be a three week hearing in March 2025, but one would hope they should be on air before then.

twitter.com 

www.bbc.co.uk 

I wonder why Geeta Guru-Murthy pulled out? Seems strange as one thought they were "all in it together"

I hope no hate heads in her direction in view of her no longer in solidarity with her colleagues.

Maryam Moshiri will be leading the BBC News team in Malmö for coverage surrounding Eurovision.

I remember from when I was on holiday during the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Lucy Hocking hosted her slot as normal from Moscow, so I guess this will be a similar type of thing.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

Great move by the NC to have Maryam report from Malmo. She's obviously more known among younger audiences thanks to her viral gaffes and fun segments like bending a spoon on-air.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • UTVLifer