BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(07-05-2024, 09:28 PM)oscillon Wrote:  I think the lower thirds and astons are still 4:3-safe, as seen from the cropped-to-4:3 screencap below.

The only thing that seems to somewhat fail is the split screen, with too much being cropped out in the 4:3 frame.
It’s 14:9-safe indeed - those texts will be outside the 4:3 safe zone if the picture is over scanned.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frances's post:
  • oscillon

(07-05-2024, 08:01 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Exactly. They ARE hard posts (technically, I think, soft posts, as in they don't need to be to the second but within about 15 seconds or so). WS radio when I was there - possibly still the case - had 13 hard posts most hours. And you had to hit them as your studio got cut off from the network as part of an automatic switch whether you liked it or not.
This is really insightful, thank you! They do make it sound very seamless, I always knew they had to stop speaking at :29 and :59 past, but when I found out about the hard posts in other programmes, and of course the illustrated bulletin, I was surprised how I never noticed they always seemed to have a little pause or end a segment at the same time!
I think in all my time listening I've only ever heard three cock-ups with the hard posts, which is pretty good going.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 4 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • bbctvtechop, bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(07-05-2024, 11:43 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  Mishal's voiceover has gone, leaving the titles feeling a bit sparse and feels like the 'ending' happens too early.
www.youtube.com 

That’s a shame, I was hoping they wouldn’t change up Newsday but it was inevitable.

Would look nicer if the end card had hints of orange, as pure red seems a bit dull considering the time zone it’s aimed at.
[-] The following 4 users Like damian's post:
  • bkman1990, thePineapple, UTVLifer, xlalonce

For some reason, the 0:00 GMT edition of Newsday used the transparent lower thirds (without the red background).

(08-05-2024, 01:33 AM)Lec_Ver16 Wrote:  For some reason, the 0:00 GMT edition of Newsday used the transparent lower thirds (without the red background).
It's always this way at 01:00 UKT post-merger as it is the only edition of Newsday with lower 3rds produced by Singapore, not by London. Singapore didn't change its lower 3rds when the rest of the channel went red.

See, for example, yesterday's edition: archive.org 

Or a week ago: archive.org 
[-] The following 3 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Lec_Ver16

Sad to lose the voice over and orange on Newsday. It was always a nice point of difference that went some way of making SG output and the region as a whole not feel like the neglected child. It was also nice that the orange matched up to Impact (Asia) before they ruined it with the face titles. All gone now.

Would be nice if we saw some of KL, Sydney, Bangkok in the titles too.
[-] The following 3 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • bkman1990, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Just disappointing really with the new titles nice to see studio E in action but it seems dimmer then Studio C not helped that the background is in news at ten mode permanently with the purple mood lighting.

(07-05-2024, 05:32 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Well I'm not sure why it's taken them so long (11 months?) to install a vertical screen & a touchscreen, when I could have done it in one afternoon.

Not sure about the vertical display and I thought the three catwalk monitors on the other side would have been upgraded to one continuous video wall. However, it is good to see Studio E back in action!

The project to refresh Studio E hasn’t been happening for 11 months.  Remember the old Studio E was in occasional use once the merger had happened for weekend BBC 1 Bulletins and weekly overnights when Studio C had maintenance (and before output moved to Washington).  It was only once all BBC 1 bulletins moved to B and Washington/Singapore took full technical responsibility for their output that E was free to have its refresh.
As well as the touchscreen and tower tweaks, the studio has been relit, with worn out lighting fixtures being replaced.  The floor has been repainted.  Meanwhile the biggest change, is under the bonnet stuff, with new coding for the running order automation, a new vision mixer and re-training of staff.  That whole project has taken weeks not months.

x.com 
[-] The following 9 users Like Deejay's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, ginnyfan, Independent, ivlm001, RhysJR

And completing the ensemble, Business Today from Singapore:
www.youtube.com 

(07-05-2024, 12:40 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  And last Asia Business Report from Singapore a few hours ago - "a new look and feel" tomorrow:
www.youtube.com 
Versus the old one (the quoted vid became private):
www.youtube.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 2 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • chrisherald, RhysJR

(08-05-2024, 12:01 AM)DTV Wrote:  My understanding was always that Sport has a more limited gallery and have been doing autocue self-operation for a long time. But the dynamism differential is certainly marked - ever since they've moved to Salford, sports news has always gone a lot further pres-wise than they ever needed to.

On a side note, I've always wondered why they don't give Sportsday an airing on network BBC. Not just is there an increasing amount of spare time in the schedule, particularly on BBC Two, that could easily be filled by a daily 30' bulletin, but there's an absence of general sports news on the big five outside of breakfast and weekend bulletins and it could probably get quite a decent audience. It just seems like, considering the amount of effort the team clearly go to, it deserves a bigger profile than being a secondary function of the News channel.
It would fit well on BBC3 in the 7pm hour or perhaps once Newsnight is cut air a 15 minute bulletin at 11pm on BBC2.

The cuts to Sportsday is one of the sad things about the merger and I do think keeping it as an hourly feature could have helped by using it in such a way that when world gets sport there's team cover UK stories and vice versa.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, UTVLifer