BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(08-05-2024, 08:21 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  Here's an example of the touch screen to the left being used
youtu.be 

God wasn’t she dull. No recognition of Annita or handover to or from Annita even when she really tried. Just find it rude to be honest.
[-] The following 4 users Like harryb's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, DeMarkay, Moz

(08-05-2024, 08:21 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  Here's an example of the touch screen to the left being used
youtu.be 

I’m going to sound really negative, did presenting on a touch screen add anything to that piece if she had done it on the cat walk or one of the old screens. If it had been outside source style then yeah you can kind of justify it. This was someone moving one slide at a time through a PowerPoint effectively. Id say it hindered the as she had to pause and turn to the screen to press the button.

Came across this on twitter:
x.com 

He mentions bolder branding but just being able to see the poor PowerPoint style graphics every where doesn’t make them bolder it highlights just how poor it looks. Whilst I’m glad they mostly left E be, I think it’s a shame they removed the two screens either side of the desk. The tower doesn’t look right and the touch screen is too small. It now leaves those two areas looking very empty and the set unbalanced.

We’ve also gone from having a similar style across all sets and most regions we now are starting to get groups of sets. You’ve got studio b with lots of straight lines, very white, huge warehouse but at the same time very cramped. You’ve got C old style. D which I think looks the best and E which is now a strange hybrid. It’s a shame they didn’t give E a bigger revamp and gone along the breakfast style studio. Then you’ve got all regional studios which tech wise is great but have lost the warmth. Again a version of the breakfast studio would have looked good.

Then the branding is a total mess and it’s severely weakening the brand. You’ve got the butchered 16 yr old titles. The super short cut is awful. The regions titles work. We’ve even seen finally updated versions for the nations. Then you go to the new channel and it’s totally different and not in a good way. Whilst lovely to hear the old music but it doesn’t fit with the graphics and the graphics are truly awful. There is no other way to describe them. If they’d have been mocks posted in a forum they’d have been ripped to shreds. The names are just poor knock offs of the old names.

I watch TDLR news and watching thwir intro it feels like someone at the bbc has seen it and thought that attracts a younger audience lets make our output look like that.

I know it’s really negative but it’s so sad to watch. BBC sports has managed simple but well made intros which stand out and are eye catching and looks good around the sports department. When you then go back to bbc news it’s a bit like have Poundland next to the apple store.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

I think the touchscreen presentation looks absolutely awful. The correspondent’s constant turning away from the camera to progress the sequence to the next screen is excruciating to watch. Even a basic hand-held clicker like those found in every company boardroom in the country would be an improvement.

Why is every refresh in TV news accompanied by a token, pointless touchscreen these days? I’d have thought given how infrequently Studio B’s touchscreen is used these days, they’d realise they’re an unnecessary gimmick, and add nothing but awkwardness to news presentation.
[-] The following 16 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, DeMarkay, DTV, Independent, Jayesyn, JJJJ, Juicy Joe, LDN, Quantum+83, Rolling News, Stuart, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(08-05-2024, 09:50 PM)harryb Wrote:  God wasn’t she dull. No recognition of Annita or handover to or from Annita even when she really tried. Just find it rude to be honest.

Probably so it can be clipped up and shown again in other hours
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • harryb, kookaburra, Steve in Pudsey

(08-05-2024, 10:09 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I think the touchscreen presentation looks absolutely awful.
I couldn't agree more, Spencer.

It adds nothing to the presentational style, and someone has to go and wipe all those grubby finger marks off the screen afterwards. Confused
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Independent, Spencer, UTVLifer

Someone else will be better placed to confirm this, but I wonder if the content on the touchscreen can be prepared by the presenter themselves, rather than the studio screens which need to be done by the gallery? i.e. this isn't about presentation, this is about cost saving...

(09-05-2024, 04:01 AM)FactorFiles Wrote:  Someone else will be better placed to confirm this, but I wonder if the content on the touchscreen can be prepared by the presenter themselves, rather than the studio screens which need to be done by the gallery?

The touchscreen you saw will have been researched, written, produced, uploaded and presented by Meghan the reporter - just as the touchscreens in the newsroom are. The one in E can also have gallery driven graphics if needed.
[-] The following 14 users Like NickyS's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, bax, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, IanJRedman, Jayesyn, Keith, matthieu1221, thePineapple, TVHead, UTVLifer

(08-05-2024, 10:32 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Probably so it can be clipped up and shown again in other hours

I noticed something similar between Sophie Raworth and Marianna Spring on the Six (I.e. no recognition of Sophie from Marianna and no handover back). But then this does make sense if the report is going to be shown in other hours and bulletins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald

(09-05-2024, 08:05 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  I noticed something similar between Sophie Raworth and Marianna Spring on the Six (I.e. no recognition of Sophie from Marianna and no handover back). But then this does make sense if the report is going to be shown in other hours and bulletins.

It probably is the reason why there's no handover to and from the reporter. But i'm sure just a pause between saying "Thank you Sophie / Back to you Sophie" and starting/finishing your piece and i'm sure it can be edited enough to cut it out.
[-] The following 7 users Like harryb's post:
  • bkman1990, chaose, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Rolling News, TJTSW, xlalonce

From what I've seen over the past couple days I assume the introduction of Core3 is what's enabled the News channel to do more with the current staffing levels. For example presentation from the catwalk, a guest in the studio (requiring more than one camera angle), and the in-studio touchscreen position.

Out of interest does anyone know the typical number of gallery staff required (per programme/shift) pre-merger versus today? I'm aware that there's no longer someone dedicated to remotely controlling the autocue, but didn't know if there were other reductions.

I assume that any future news studio/gallery upgrades will see Core3 rolled out. It would be nice if whichever gallery (and ideally a proper studio) was used for UK opts received this equipment, particularly with an election looming.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • chrisherald