BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I’m really not a fan of the single line lower third.

In its previous look there was so much more information and context given before. It was useful to give you a quick overview so you quickly got the key points of the story. Now you have effectively a title for the package.

That breaking news lower third was just useless. All it did was flip between breaking and the title. No other information.

One thing that’s always made me wonder is why they don’t have an LATEST lower thirds instead of using the breaking news one all the time. That way the breaking news on could be used more sparingly and then as they get further updates on a story use the LATEST one

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 5 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Stuart

(03-04-2023, 09:35 AM)ALV Wrote:  Also, it seems the UK feed is not yet integrated into Red Bee. The continuity including weather, promos, countdown are still handled by the active galleries in NBH... Not sure if they'll integrate into Red Bee in long term...

It will be coming from Red Bee but I've heard conflicting things about exactly when - everything from later today to a lot further down the line (so, who knows!).

Although it's not yet the case on a technical level, the UK became an opt of what was World News at 9am this morning as far as scheduling goes.
[-] The following 4 users Like Transmission's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon

(03-04-2023, 09:38 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  The newsroom looks super busy, as you would expect on a day like this!

[Image: vlcsnap-00015.jpg]

[Image: vlcsnap-00040.jpg]

That’ll be the remainder of the bbc news staff all bunched together now.
[-] The following 10 users Like damian's post:
  • Alf Stewart, AndrewP, bakamann, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, Ittr, Kojak, Newsroom, UTVLifer

Some World News feeds show this. Wonder why?
[attachment=2600]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like TextilesReality's post:
  • bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, thevaran

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this but Ben Thompson fronting this first hour of the "new" merged channel - as someone who isn't one of the named 5 chief presenters on the channel - gives me hope that we'll still see the likes of Martine Croxall and Ben Brown around.

(03-04-2023, 09:40 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 09:30 AM)Mattrt Wrote:  Does anyone know why they’re not showing the flagship shows like Breakfast, 1, 6, 10 & Newsnight on the World Feed?

As an Aussie watching BBC News, I expect UK centric content. So frustrating we don’t get those programmes. Loved watching them when I was in the UK.
They’re not really relevant to most World viewers. It is (or was) BBC World News, after all. Newsnight has been shown on there in the past, though, typically as a weekly ‘best-of’ compilation.
I suppose that’s fair. Guess I’m just jealous of UK viewers getting content from Studio J and the likes of Huw Edwards.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mattrt's post:
  • bkman1990, thevaran

(03-04-2023, 09:38 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  The newsroom looks super busy, as you would expect on a day like this!

[Image: vlcsnap-00015.jpg]

[Image: vlcsnap-00040.jpg]
They're too busy reading our reactions!

(03-04-2023, 09:12 AM)ALV Wrote:  And here's the debut of the newsroom touchscreen area... a bit... underwhelming:
[Image: 12a8d5966f18c1073ca6ea32e24443b0-png.jpg]

Looks like a hostage video
[-] The following 13 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • ALV, AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, damian, ginnyfan, Ittr, matthieu1221, Stuart, thevaran, Universal_r, UTVLifer

(03-04-2023, 09:43 AM)kookaburra Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 09:12 AM)ALV Wrote:  And here's the debut of the newsroom touchscreen area... a bit... underwhelming:
[Image: 12a8d5966f18c1073ca6ea32e24443b0-png.jpg]

Looks like a hostage video
“Please help me. The BBC have said if you don’t give them the extra money, they’re going to subject viewers to the guide dogs film every night until the end of time. Please have mercy on the British viewers. They don’t deserve that.”
[-] The following 14 users Like Kojak's post:
  • ALV, AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, CocuGrimshaw2001, Frances, James2001, Josh, kookaburra, matthieu1221, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer, what

(03-04-2023, 09:35 AM)bakamann Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 09:30 AM)Mattrt Wrote:  Does anyone know why they’re not showing the flagship shows like Breakfast, 1, 6, 10 & Newsnight on the World Feed?

As an Aussie watching BBC News, I expect UK centric content. So frustrating we don’t get those programmes. Loved watching them when I was in the UK.
I think this was discussed on the previous thread, where some would argue that airing the domestic bulletins globally would be a waste of licence fee money.
It wasn't about licence money, it's about the fact that a) domestic programmes don't fit with World timings (meaning either you'd have to restructure domestic bulletins or lose out on ad breaks); b) domestic bulletins have a strong presumption of familiarity with domestic terms, which, without explanation, would be unduly alienating to world viewers; c) there's no need considering World can easily produce a bulletin that better serves the international audience; and d) all sports segments would have to be removed for rights reasons. Ultimately, no real commercial or editorial justification.

Also, I know people love to do the whole 'World is for ex-pats' schtick, so I'll just quote a BBC submission to a Select Committee from 2006 I came across the other day: "Ex-patriot British are a constituent part of the BBC World audience. However, they are not the primary focus of the channel, and make up a very small proportion of the channel's total audience." They'd be an even smaller proportion today.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, matthieu1221, TVFan