BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, LDN

(03-04-2023, 12:07 PM)DTV Wrote:  I suspect those butchered titles aren't permanent, but even then it doesn't look great. The centred globe seen in the World stings would work, but that just doesn't - looks particularly unbalanced with the huge white space on one side.

On the other hand, the Studio B backdrop in C is undoubtedly an improvement on the old one (though not a high barrier, I know).
Or (and yes, I know it doesn't match with chameleon) the title card seen on the screens in the studio.

(03-04-2023, 11:47 AM)Stuart Wrote:  My first thoughts:

[*]The countdown should go back to fps, not hundredths of seconds
[*]The countdowns weren't made with the intention of having a white logo at the top, so it often just disappears into the background
[*]Either fix that hoop or don't show it, because it makes it look like a local cable news channel broadcasting from Walnut Grove, Minnesota
[*]The one-line lower thirds are just a waste of on-screen real estate space
[*]I don't need to see the description throughout the package, I don't have short-term memory retention issues
[*]Either have a flipper or not. Don't waste space just showing the URL.

I can't say I'm a 'happy (Easter) bunny' from what I've seen so far. Dodgy

White logo on white background is fine so long as milliseconds later you have it over a dark background. It doesn't need to permanently be on view, the brain is clever enough to fill in the gaps.

I like the description being on throughout the package - people turn on all the time so it gives a useful indicator of what they're covering.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, JosiahStuart

(03-04-2023, 12:14 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 11:47 AM)Stuart Wrote:  My first thoughts:

[*]The countdown should go back to fps, not hundredths of seconds
[*]The countdowns weren't made with the intention of having a white logo at the top, so it often just disappears into the background
[*]Either fix that hoop or don't show it, because it makes it look like a local cable news channel broadcasting from Walnut Grove, Minnesota
[*]The one-line lower thirds are just a waste of on-screen real estate space
[*]I don't need to see the description throughout the package, I don't have short-term memory retention issues
[*]Either have a flipper or not. Don't waste space just showing the URL.

I can't say I'm a 'happy (Easter) bunny' from what I've seen so far. Dodgy

White logo on white background is fine so long as milliseconds later you have it over a dark background. It doesn't need to permanently be on view, the brain is clever enough to fill in the gaps.

I like the description being on throughout the package - people turn on all the time so it gives a useful indicator of what they're covering.
A lot of continental channels (particularly the French ones) do that, and have done for some years. Agreed that the countdown should be fps. Really I think we should go back to a graphical countdown if we must have the BBC logo at the top.

Radio_man
(03-04-2023, 11:45 AM)Charles Wrote:  What's up with those "behind the scenes" promos with the main presenters? They seem to be put haphazardly into the middle of the bulletin. Before one rolled, Ben said "This is BBC News," and then after it ran, there was no acknowledgment. No "welcome back" or anything. Am I missing something?

It's a break filler for UK viewers when World goes to adverts, as are the "Across the UK" clips

In that case, I hope this is a first day thing and the UK viewers get something else. Markets etc. It just feels weird to jump into a presenter like that. A nice bit of music and financial markets etc would look better.

(03-04-2023, 12:10 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 12:07 PM)DTV Wrote:  I suspect those butchered titles aren't permanent, but even then it doesn't look great. The centred globe seen in the World stings would work, but that just doesn't - looks particularly unbalanced with the huge white space on one side.

On the other hand, the Studio B backdrop in C is undoubtedly an improvement on the old one (though not a high barrier, I know).
Or (and yes, I know it doesn't match with chameleon) the title card seen on the screens in the studio.
Yeah, that would work much better as well - particularly in terms of a balanced image. But the current situation is the problem with uniformity - you have to ensure that your set-up works for all, much harder when you block out two separate parts of the screen.

Just a bit of a mess frankly. No one can suggest that striking teachers in England is a global news story. The sentencing of Olivia Pratt-Korbel’s killer later on (for example) is easier to justify.

More widely though will anyone care- the ratings for these channels were already minimal.
[-] The following 6 users Like Pips2022's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, SomeRandomStuff, Stuart, UTVLifer

Kind of wish they'd gone with serif for the countdown.
[Image: BBCNewsCountSerif2.jpg]
[-] The following 7 users Like AxG's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Moz, Quantum+83, SirBiscuit45, Stuart

(03-04-2023, 12:09 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  www.youtube.com 

It’s great the sequence is shorter and all but she is saying way too much for each story. 

Tragic intro though… the end card? Pathetic.

Definitely feels like I’m watching World News now, largely dictated by the news agenda but there’s obviously a conflict with the teacher strikes arguably being more newsworthy to a majority of UK viewers, but a way down the running order.

New background looks much better and overall it feels a bit closer to the updated studio B style.

The news agenda, Lucy Hockings presenting, and the format of live contributors - it feels a higher-brow product than NC viewers have had, but I suspect they’ll see a drop-off of viewers who are less interested in international news. They’ve had a heavy US/international focus in evenings for a while now, so they no doubt know what rates and what doesn’t and this feels an extension of that.
[-] The following 4 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bkman1990, leewilliams, Quantum+83, UTVLifer