BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Surely the plan isn't to leave the ticker/flipper permanently just showing bbc.co.uk/news?

That's the one element that can have a focus on domestic news..... and it's not being used
[-] The following 8 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bkman1990, Juicy Joe, LDN, oscillon, Reith85, UTVLifer

I’ve just arrived in Pune, India and flicked the TV on and the World feed also has that ugly ‘BBC WORLD NEWS’ right across the lower thirds.

Surely no one at the BBC thinks that’s acceptable to broadcast?

The Opt Outs are absolutely shocking as well. It’s a mixture of old BBC World News idents and then cutting into the World feed weather.

Even the adverts for other shows are still showing the BBC World News box.

I think they definitely need to revisit this one from top to bottom.
[-] The following 7 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Ittr, oscillon, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(04-04-2023, 11:00 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  
(04-04-2023, 09:58 AM)TheJarv Wrote:  Its a mess of a channel isnt it, only watching out of curiosity

No, it really isn't.

When Sky news switched to a new system (I think in 2015/16) it was very buggy and prone to failure. Sky News ironed it out, and so will the BBC. It's broadcasting providing the news, that is what it is meant to do and it is meeting that objective. Most people will have their needs as a viewer met.

Thats maybe fair for actual technical issues, but a lot of the issues are failures to put the right graphics into the system. The system can only do what it can with the data provided. It's either an oversight, lack of staff time to do it, or lazyiness.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aaron_scotland's post:
  • chrisherald

So it wasn't a dream... the car-crash branding continues today.

We discussed this in my office today. Someone who works with me was involved in the original Channel 5 brand roll out when it launched.

She summed it up quite well - if you haemorrhage back room staff and continually have a culture of cutting corners and papering over cracks, the cracks eventually grow larger and it becomes difficult to find away back and frankly, from a branding perspective, you have to start again.

She did point out that BBC News' brand has been watered down, pretty much from around 2013 when they started to mess about with things.

I'm in Amsterdam for a week. Is there a way i can view this 'new' service on the alternate BBC.com website?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Newsroom

(04-04-2023, 01:55 PM)JasonB Wrote:  I'm in Amsterdam for a week. Is there a way i can view this 'new' service on the alternate BBC.com website?

Google is your best friend here. It's not like it was way back with streams taken down the minute they went up. 

www.freeintertv.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • JasonB, oscillon

(04-04-2023, 01:55 PM)JasonB Wrote:  I'm in Amsterdam for a week. Is there a way i can view this 'new' service on the alternate BBC.com website?

It should be on Ziggo or KPN in the news channel list somewhere. Was definitely in the EPG when I was in Amsterdam a few months ago.

That “slide to refresh” effects of the blocks can’t be shown as they still choose to use fade-in between the blip and trailers…

[Image: 1680613478_747863260.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Frances's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

One thing that has occurred to me today is last week it was said that only Lucy Hockings shift would see the launch of a new programme initially. We all thought that would be a programme specific name, but was it actually meant that would be the only programme to use the new style titles and set up in the studio initially?
[-] The following 7 users Like South's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bkman1990, Frances, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(04-04-2023, 01:31 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(04-04-2023, 11:00 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  No, it really isn't.

When Sky news switched to a new system (I think in 2015/16) it was very buggy and prone to failure. Sky News ironed it out, and so will the BBC. It's broadcasting providing the news, that is what it is meant to do and it is meeting that objective. Most people will have their needs as a viewer met.

Thats maybe fair for actual technical issues, but a lot of the issues are failures to put the right graphics into the system. The system can only do what it can with the data provided. It's either an oversight, lack of staff time to do it, or lazyiness.

You are making a lot of assumptions there, how do you know there are not any tech issues at the moment......

Regardless, even people putting the things in the right place is a new process. There has been no fundamental failure, it will be ironed out. The way some people talk on here, you'd think they have been broadcasting static for hours.
[-] The following 6 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • Apples, chrisherald, ginnyfan, Jeff, Quantum+83, Rxtx