BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(05-04-2023, 06:29 AM)DAL1189 Wrote:  I’d love to know who the BBC Breakfast simulcast is supposed to be serving. If I wanted to watch breakfast, couldn’t I just turn on BBC One? I’d rather have the option to watch something different, personally.
An official response would give you the usual justification of network simulcasts about duplicating resources and so on, and there is obviously the period of BSL signing (though this is actually just a signing of what is on the News channel, e.g., a few times in 2019 the NC signed Impact rather than the News at One when it opted away for live news coverage). While such justifications are possibly a bit lessened now than previously, the concerns about maximising UK-only content outweigh concerns for providing choice.

Plus, given that Sunday Breakfast when it finishes early on BBC One is consistently the best performing slot on the BBC News channel by a clear margin (with a clear coattails effect for the next few hours), I wouldn't be surprised if that alone is enough to justify a continued simulcasting of Breakfast. Of course, you could say just keep the Sunday simulcasts, but that might look a little odd.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

Why have the lost the ability to use any other camera shot with it either of the screens on the left of right. They used to start the hour on the catwalk to introduce stories but that has all gone too.

Have they got rid of everyone who knew how to run the news channel and world news in one big swoop?
[-] The following 9 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Ittr, oscillon, Reith85, Universal_r, UTVLifer

Someone must be a fan of this bus story, is it the new Guide dogs?
[-] The following 7 users Like TheJarv's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, Newsroom, Stuart, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(05-04-2023, 10:07 AM)Daveuk Wrote:  Have they got rid of everyone who knew how to run the news channel and world news in one big swoop?
I'm sure those who are left are doing the best they can with reduced resouces. I don't think any of our comments are intended to criticise them.
[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, thePineapple, Worzel

Just wondering how long its going to take them to get a domestic Political Correspondent on air?

Half an hour since the news broke and we haven't seen anyone from the Political team. Understand it's Easter, but previously we'd see someone like Nick Eardley, Ione Wells, Vicki Young etc appear.

They've also been covering other stories since 10:10.
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

During the 2am hour ad break UK feed used a silent recap of the events of the day, "No comment"-style.
[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, LDN, Ste, xlalonce

Putting my tin foil hat on here - and I know the new channel has only been on air for two days - but I have to wonder if some of the people running it are deliberately making it look as amateurish and ramshackle as possible, in order to force some sort of climbdown (i.e. extra funding!) from the top of the BBC?
[-] The following 9 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, James2001, MasterOogway_24, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer

(05-04-2023, 11:04 AM)Kojak Wrote:  Putting my tin foil hat on here - and I know the new channel has only been on air for two days - but I have to wonder if some of the people running it are deliberately making it look as amateurish and ramshackle as possible, in order to force some sort of climbdown (i.e. extra funding!) from the top of the BBC?
I suspect the Easter holidays are a significant factor. It's quite likely that some of the staff who'd normally be involved with the channel (and relevant third-parties) are current taking annual leave, particularly if they have children. It's for that reason you wouldn't normally implement major changes due to operating with reduced staff, when normally you might need additional staff on-hand. However, it seems the new financial year and the need to save money has taken priority.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 9 users Like Keith's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, Kojak, matthieu1221, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

I'm outside the UK atm so I've only been watching the "world" version.

But it seems like there's glitches where the sound and audio repeats, almost like they've switched between two media paths where one has a greater delay than the other, eg. just now where they flipped from the story about teenage vaping back to the studio and the first few seconds of the newsreader glitched

I am currently in a hotel with a slightly iffy TV so it might be that, but from what people are saying it could very well be a glitch in London
[-] The following 4 users Like i.h's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, JamesWorldNews, UTVLifer

YouTube TV in the US have updated the channel name. Through yesterday it was still called BBC World News