BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Did a live mic at the end of Sportsday (13:45 BST) pick up Lukwesa irritably saying  “…oody useless” out of vision before she started her UK opt out from the balcony?
If so, she describes the situation well!  Smile
[-] The following 7 users Like JamieD's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, SuperSajuuk, Universal_r, whistlerpro, xlalonce

To be fair, there was a period when time lapse imagery was used in the countdown sequences but I've always thought they looked a bit abstract. The countdowns featuring reporters followed on from a BBC World Service motif which used to be used at the TOTH and captured reporters saying, 'this is the BBC in *insert capital*'. I've always thought that would be a nice development (albeit in a format of 60/90 seconds could be a bit repetitive). Either way, the countdowns are quite a distinctive way to shout 'this is BBC News' and a pres feature which has arguably been quite pioneering.
[-] The following 6 users Like Matrix's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, Jeff, Kojak, Quantum+83

(14-04-2023, 02:15 PM)JamieD Wrote:  Did a live mic at the end of Sportsday (13:45 BST) pick up Lukwesa irritably saying  “…oody useless” out of vision before she started her UK opt out from the balcony?
If so, she describes the situation well!  Smile

I’ve listened to it  a couple of times and it really does sound like she did. I have to say it looked like she wasn’t too pleased about something when she came into vision. Admittedly it wasn’t a story you’d be sitting there grinning but it definitely looked more annoyed about something than a “serious news story” face if you get my meaning.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 4 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • bkman1990, cando, chrisherald, JamieD

(14-04-2023, 01:58 PM)harshy Wrote:  I think the international feed has done a better job with the chameleon package.

I don't know if it has been asked but given how the international feeds are managed in playout terms by Red Bee. Would it be safe to say that if it ever does happen for Red Bee take over the managing of the UK feed it would be for the better. As then it would leave the channel's various news production teams to concentrate on making the news instead of trying make it and then play it out leading to the various missteps that are more apparent on the UK feed.

Also would it be feasible for Red Bee to take on the distribution of the UK version of the channel anyway thinking on.
[-] The following 7 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, harshy, Jeff, whistlerpro, xlalonce

(14-04-2023, 09:24 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(14-04-2023, 08:43 AM)South Wrote:  Probably a stupid question but weren't the titles previously re created in 2012 for the move to Broadcasting House and the transition to HD as standard?
I believe they were reedited from the originals - which, in typical Lambie-Nairn fashion, had already been designed and produced in HD anticipating the shift. Aside from the recolourings that mdta mentions, some shots were also slowed down.

As I recall, the original 2008 titles got their only HD outing during the 2012 London Olympics when the national news came from a studio near the Olympic Park and was broadcast in HD for the first time. See here on The Ident Gallery: The Ident Gallery

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 7 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Kojak, Mixdown, oscillon, TVFan, UTVLifer

Yikes, the graphics mess-up is happening again, this time with BBC News global feed.

Focus on Africa is airing right now on the global feed, but the control room forgot to opt-out and the lower thirds showed up on top of the Focus on Africa L3s for six minutes.

I assume the affiliate broadcasters would probably have no problem since they are getting the program through another feed or platform?
[-] The following 3 users Like bakamann's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(13-04-2023, 05:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Watching this channel at the moment (UK) and wondering what feed they are taking? There's a harp in the top left corner and an Irish speaking reporter?

Any clues - not seen a chyron.

Edit: Sarah Campbell just referred to a 'Chris' so I'm assuming it's Chris Page.

That is Oireachtas TV - the Ireland Parliamrntary channel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990

(14-04-2023, 04:58 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  
(14-04-2023, 09:24 AM)DTV Wrote:  I believe they were reedited from the originals - which, in typical Lambie-Nairn fashion, had already been designed and produced in HD anticipating the shift. Aside from the recolourings that mdta mentions, some shots were also slowed down.

As I recall, the original 2008 titles got their only HD outing during the 2012 London Olympics when the national news came from a studio near the Olympic Park and was broadcast in HD for the first time. See here on The Ident Gallery: The Ident Gallery

Really is much better than what we have now. The long buildup, the longer overall playtime and the audio swoosh you hear around the 15 second mark when a continent flies past the camera is a great touch.
[-] The following 7 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chris, Former Member 406, Ittr, Kojak, Mixdown

Tonight's Newswatch will be interesting!
[-] The following 7 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Jimbo2022, Juicy Joe, Newsroom, thomalex, UTVLifer

And it really does get worse-how on earth do they expect the channel to function without these people.

twitter.com 

And re Newswatch it will propably be the same response we got in the previous episode if that's anything to go by unfortunately.
[-] The following 6 users Like News76's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, UTVLifer, Worzel