BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(17-04-2023, 04:48 PM)all new phil Wrote:  If the point of the Nicky Campbell simulcast is to increase UK content on the news channel, why don’t they show the World bulletins on BBC2?

Is BBC Two paying towards it Nicky on 5 LIVE, like the Victoria Derbyshire set up?

I thought the Nicky Campbell programme worked - it's a really engaging programme, with a really engaging presenter and was visualised in a decent way for a radio show - though it took slightly too long, the cut to the video of the Prime Minister speaking was a good illustration I suspect of how it'll work if there's breaking news.

It's very different what went before, but we're not going to be going backwards - the days of 24/7 news in a traditional sense are numbered if not over. I also suspect the Campbell programme will get bigger and stronger guests as a result of it being on a national radio network and a national linear television network, and so may well generate stories too.
[-] The following 8 users Like steve's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, Frances, Jeff, LargelyALurker, Quantum+83, Reith85, Stockland Hillman

But it’s not numbered for global viewers why is it numbered for Uk viewers paying a license fee.

Why Is this Nicky show on a television news channel when it’s on radio where it’s meant to be and bbc two where’s the choice for Uk viewers?
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • interestednovice, woodnorton

Tired of talking about the EPG renames but this week they renamed BBC One bulletins again - both the One and Six have become BBC News.

Why do they rename the bulletins so frequently?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frances's post:
  • interestednovice

(17-04-2023, 05:17 PM)harshy Wrote:  But it’s not numbered for global viewers why is it numbered for Uk viewers paying a license fee.

It is!

Look at The Context - that’s a big chunk of the prime time schedule dedicated to analysis and commentary rather than rolling news. The difference being it’s professional commentators than members of the public.

With the majority of people receiving their news online or from fixed bulletins, traditional rolling news just isn’t worth the cost. This isn’t 1997 anymore.

I’ve yet to see anyone actually came up with any legitimate reasons against the phone in other than it’s a phone in instead of rolling news. Nicky Campbell is a class act, the BBC’s radio coverage covers the news just as well as the NC would’ve done (minus the fluff to fill an hour), and it’s not GB News dungeon style broadcasting.

Phone ins are also a genuinely better way to get public opinion on the subject - they’re far better than vox pops, as those phoning in tend to have a modicum of understanding about what they’re talking about. I would hope moving forward that these start to be used in packages throughout the day instead of shoving a camera in front of someone’s face.
[-] The following 4 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, chaose, Jeff, UTVLifer

I'm just watching back some of Nicky Campbell's programme. He's clearly a good choice to simulcast because he has worked on radio and TV. 

A slight problem is the studios are designed for radio so when setting up the programme or a story he is clearly more heavily reliant on looking off camera to the computer. 

Presumably the programme does require some additional resource to output the TV element as well as the radio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • chrisherald

Genuinely thought Nicky Campbell’s show was pretty slick. They’ve adapted it for telly fairly well.
[-] The following 4 users Like Connews's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Jeff, Reith85, UTVLifer

I don’t see the point personally if I wanted to listen to Nicky Campbell I’d get the radio out, anyway I’ll just switch my dish to 19.2e where I am guaranteed the news from the bbc.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • interestednovice, Roger Darthwell

Like Victoria Derbyshire, it's a BBC Two show which has been stuck on the NC. Like others have said, there's no major issue with the radio studio and some effort has gone into making visuals of the existing 5 Live imaging.

However as I said earlier, the lack of news on the flipper is concerning and the content wasn't great. If I was putting on the NC for some news and hearing Campbell discussing low traffic neighbourhoods in the second hour which works well for radio, but this was pretty dull stuff for tv viewers.

While another member praised Campbell's show visually for being like Franceinfo, editorially it's nothing like the 8.30 Franceinfo interview show or Les Informés which have been adapted well for television while keeping the content suitable for radio listeners.

French broadcasters are masters of making audio adapt for television which is why channels have been able to adapt live radio shows not just on Franceinfo, but also RMC Story, BFMTV and M6. I wish the BBC had looked towards France to see how they've made a success of it.
[-] The following 9 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, Kojak, matthieu1221, Nige, Roger Darthwell

(17-04-2023, 04:56 PM)steve Wrote:  I thought the Nicky Campbell programme worked - it's a really engaging programme, with a really engaging presenter and was visualised in a decent way for a radio show - though it took slightly too long, the cut to the video of the Prime Minister speaking was a good illustration I suspect of how it'll work if there's breaking news.

It's very different what went before, but we're not going to be going backwards - the days of 24/7 news in a traditional sense are numbered if not over. I also suspect the Campbell programme will get bigger and stronger guests as a result of it being on a national radio network and a national linear television network, and so may well generate stories too.
Content is king.

A great presenter and production team that know what they are trying to achieve with editorial choices and tone can cut through regardless of medium. 

If this was done Talk Radio TV style, with ear pieces rather than over ear headphones,  better sight lines on cameras; invison news bulletins it could easily expand to drive time as well.

Imagine the 'breaking'  team supplementing 5Live content with visuals and lives; less world news and perhaps a new 5Live/TV post 2230 show  that looks at tomorrow's news -like top rating the papers slot.  That would make more sense to me for UK broadcasting than the frankenstein channel  we have now
[-] The following 5 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • BBI45, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, PatrZDZ