BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(17-04-2023, 06:19 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Imagine the 'breaking'  team supplementing 5Live content with visuals and lives; less world news and perhaps a new 5Live/TV post 2230 show  that looks at tomorrow's news -like top rating the papers slot.  That would make more sense to me for UK broadcasting than the frankenstein channel  we have now

A 2230 5live simulcast is genius — that’s exactly what should happen.
[-] The following 4 users Like Connews's post:
  • BBI45, chrisherald, Stockland Hillman, woodnorton

Washington team making a group photo:
twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(17-04-2023, 11:17 PM)DTV Wrote:  [Image: BBCNewsTitlesShotforShot.jpg]

I actually think that a lot of the changes between the 2008 and 2013 versions are more as a result of moving from SD to HD, including some of the detail and the colours. However the change of Antartica to orange is a sure sign that it is a different render.
But I think the differences in the dark greys and oranges is subtle enough that it can be explained just by being re-rendered out to a different colourspace (Rec. 709 rather than 601)
[-] The following 1 user Likes FactorFiles's post:
  • interestednovice

(18-04-2023, 12:53 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Washington team making a group photo:
twitter.com 

I struggle to believe this saves money.

Media salaries across the board from tech to production and journalists in the US are far higher than the UK

Wonder what the former team who output the News channel's from London think of this merry crowd
[-] The following 5 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell

(18-04-2023, 01:05 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(18-04-2023, 12:53 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Washington team making a group photo:
twitter.com 

I struggle to believe this saves money.

Media salaries across the board from tech to production and journalists in the US are far higher than the UK

Wonder what the former team who output the News channel's from London think of this merry crowd

It’s paid for by the (profitable) World operation.
[-] The following 4 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Marcos, thevaran

(18-04-2023, 01:20 AM)agentsquash Wrote:  
(18-04-2023, 01:05 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  I struggle to believe this saves money.

It’s paid for by the (profitable) World operation.
Who would also pay for London based staff.  Paying less and returning more profit to the BBC to fund its operations.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • Brekkie, interestednovice

(18-04-2023, 01:27 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(18-04-2023, 01:20 AM)agentsquash Wrote:  It’s paid for by the (profitable) World operation.
Who would also pay for London based staff.  Paying less and returning more profit to the BBC to fund its operations.

Staff on overnights in the UK need to be paid more anyway. 

Plus, by having dedicated US coverage, it allows the BBC to leverage their biggest market for more ad revenue. Which is what makes it able to pay for itself!

For a world news channel, it makes sense that the channel "chase the sun" and ensure they have the ability to switch to day shifts in important parts of the world so they have relevant content when audiences are most likely to tune in.
[-] The following 4 users Like mdta's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Jeff, Moz

The international feed is still airing "Across the UK" segments during quarter breaks, despite the UK feed is taking Nicky Campbell...
[Image: 6c954cec731a523313b9f9aacfd2637d.png]
[-] The following 8 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Marcos, oscillon, thevaran, xlalonce

(18-04-2023, 01:02 AM)FactorFiles Wrote:  I actually think that a lot of the changes between the 2008 and 2013 versions are more as a result of moving from SD to HD, including some of the detail and the colours. However the change of Antartica to orange is a sure sign that it is a different render.
I'm not necessarily sure that this is the case. As was mentioned the other day, the original 2008 edits got a HD airing during the 2012 Olympics when network news was coming from just outside the Olympic Park - and that featured the original colouring. And, in terms of colour differences, there's probably as much (if not more) between the two 2013 versions than between them and their respective 2008 versions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • interestednovice