BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(19-04-2023, 11:53 AM)strollfan Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 11:19 AM)ALV Wrote:  The Politics Live simulcasts are back ever since the merger. At the quarter break at 1115 the UK feed faded to a filler, then switched to Politics Live.

So am I right in saying this means this morning's schedule on BBC News (UK) now resembles this?

06:00-09:00: BBC Breakfast (simulcast of One)
09:00-11:00: Nicky Campbell (simulcast of Two and R5L)
11:00-11:15: BBC News
11:15-13:00: Politics Live (simulcast of Two)

In 7 hours of content on the news channel thus far today, only 15 minutes of original, exclusive programming? That's reaching new lows of poor.

Isn't Politics Live only on the News Channel on Wednesdays for PMQs? Although, I wouldn't be against a daily simulcast with added news summaries (worth noting that Politics Live runs from 12:15-13:00 Monday, Tuesday and Thursday).

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 6 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, oscillon, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(19-04-2023, 11:56 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 11:53 AM)strollfan Wrote:  So am I right in saying this means this morning's schedule on BBC News (UK) now resembles this?

In 7 hours of content on the news channel thus far today, only 15 minutes of original, exclusive programming? That's reaching new lows of poor.

Isn't Politics Live only on the News Channel on Wednesdays for PMQs? Although, I wouldn't be against a daily simulcast with added news summaries (worth noting that Politics Live runs from 12:15-13:00 Monday, Tuesday and Thursday).

Politics Live is a very obvious simulcast. It was bonkers that PMQs was covered by the News Channel and BBC Two but with different teams.
[-] The following 6 users Like chris's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, freeaxe, Jeff, Pips2022, Quantum+83

(19-04-2023, 12:03 PM)chris Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 11:56 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Isn't Politics Live only on the News Channel on Wednesdays for PMQs? Although, I wouldn't be against a daily simulcast with added news summaries (worth noting that Politics Live runs from 12:15-13:00 Monday, Tuesday and Thursday).

Politics Live is a very obvious simulcast. It was bonkers that PMQs was covered by the News Channel and BBC Two but with different teams.

Exactly, it always seemed bizarre that they were using double the resources for two different programmes. Also, with regards to wider Politics Live simulcasting - the target audience of the News Channel and Politics Live is pretty much the same so it would make sense (to me at least). I can really see this new UK feed being a home of the best news programming across the BBC without viewers having to switch channels at exactly the right moment. Yes, it could be a bit smoother - especially after the Ten and Newsnight and yes, there should be a UK headlines sequence whilst World are on a break - but apart from that I really don't have any problem with the new service.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 2 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • Joe, Pips2022

PMQs on BBC News cut to the Politics Live studio for about 30 seconds while audio from the Commons continued.

[Image: 20230419-121214.jpg]

Visit the Internet Commentator Database  - www.icdb.tv 
[-] The following 2 users Like Ste's post:
  • chrisherald, Roger Darthwell

(19-04-2023, 11:56 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 11:53 AM)strollfan Wrote:  So am I right in saying this means this morning's schedule on BBC News (UK) now resembles this?

Agreed that Politics Live makes by far the most sense as a simulcast, was more just a comment on the lack of original programming today on the whole.
[-] The following 1 user Likes strollfan's post:
  • woodnorton

(19-04-2023, 12:15 PM)Ste Wrote:  PMQs on BBC News cut to the Politics Live studio for about 30 seconds while audio from the Commons continued.

[Image: 20230419-121214.jpg]
Also occurred on BBC Two.

They should just simulcast the snooker too. Would rather watch that than these obscure presenters shouting from their dimly-lit broom cupboard.
[-] The following 4 users Like Pips2022's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, thomalex, woodnorton

(19-04-2023, 12:03 PM)chris Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 11:56 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Isn't Politics Live only on the News Channel on Wednesdays for PMQs? Although, I wouldn't be against a daily simulcast with added news summaries (worth noting that Politics Live runs from 12:15-13:00 Monday, Tuesday and Thursday).

It's bonkers the BBC are using two channels to show the same thing to the same audience, especially when the news operation is happening anyway
[-] The following 7 users Like thomalex's post:
  • bkman1990, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Roger Darthwell, thevaran, UTVLifer

It seems the implications of the merger are starting to filter through to 'ordinary' people. A work colleague of mine mentioned how BBC News has effectively given up and moves to Singapore at night. It led to an office chat that included moans about there being no stories from the UK anymore and that it's all foreign news. I explained the rationale behind the merger (i.e. protecting BBC World News output/audiences) which was met with "why do we pay for this rubbish?"

Granted, it's only one office but I'm sure there are more people thinking the same across the UK. And these are not 'pres fans' - just regular people.

I tried the new news channel in its first couple of weeks but have given up completely now. I dipped in at the weekend only to find foreign stories that had no interest or relevance to me, so I switched over. In fact, the only BBC News output I ever see now is Breakfast as the BBC1 bulletins are not really at suitable times for me. That's why I liked the old BBC News Channel as you could get a good dose of UK news at strange times like 7/8pm. Or 9/10am if on a late shift. Now, I just go between the ITV Evening News and Sky News. And I flick around between Breakfast, GMB and Sky News at breakfast time to miss the adverts.
[-] The following 6 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Newsroom, UTVLifer, woodnorton

I've given up as well, switched to SKY News in the office during the day. I'm actually impressed with it tbh
[-] The following 3 users Like TheJarv's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Ste