BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I guess as this test was a planned event that they had prior knowledge of, it meant that they were able to pull together an opt for this afternoon
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • chrisherald

Maybe I’m becoming one of those cynical people nowadays but have to say i felt the coverage of the emergency test was a bit overkill, especially interviewing members of the public.

Good idea to do an opt out bit it just felt like they were trying to make it this big dramatic event. All they really needed was an explainer about what the alert system is, brief explanation about how it works and what will happen/expect to happen. Then a guest from somewhere the system is already used and the bit from the bbc disinformation guy although that could have been turn into a you questions type set up.

I know the bbc said no phones on the studio but he could have had an iPad so that he could show it instead of the cutting to cameras from across the uk as it was only 10 seconds

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 6 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, GMc, leewilliams, UTVLifer

(23-04-2023, 03:11 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Maybe I’m becoming one of those cynical people nowadays but  have to say i felt the coverage of the emergency test was a bit overkill, especially interviewing members of the public.

Funny enough the international feed has been covering actual UK breaking news of domestic interest - the Sudan extraction of British diplomats for 15+ minutes now; while the UK feed is still stuck on rolling coverage of reaction and analysis of this planned emergency alert test... 
[Image: 45a36a7063a5b60f4d2d31eaf696d764.png]
Which story is worth more air time? It's up to anyone's debate here...

As someone who has access to both feeds, I've muted the UK feed once they started rolling interviews with guests on "the reaction from the streets", "the political implications of the alert system", "the conspiracy theorists on the internet", "how other countries handled emergency alert systems"...
[-] The following 9 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, LDN, Roger Darthwell, thevaran, UTVLifer

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, as I don't regularly keep track of this thread. But why are there opt-outs for UK viewers after they made a point of having one unified news channel?

Well it was a bit overkill on coverage, i didnt even get the alert so dont see what the big fuss was about, but i guess it was good to hear other people get it,

(23-04-2023, 03:23 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Forgive me if this is common knowledge, as I don't regularly keep track of this thread. But why are there opt-outs for UK viewers after they made a point of having one unified news channel?

To fulfill BBC's narrative that despite they've combined both channels:

"We are still serving the UK audience first and forefront by offering 7 hours of premium UK programming on weekdays"
"We are offering a better service by providing more choice and flexiblility to the UK audience"
"We are still covering important UK breaking news"

Paul Royall's interview with Newswatch a few weeks ago has a good summary:
youtu.be 

The UK opt ended at 1530, crossing over to the BOTH headlines and then a pre-record...
Here's a nice shot of Gallery A - the new dedicated gallery for UK opt outs~ Sadly they didn't put up any camera shots of the currently closed Studio A on the multiviewers so we couldn't see it's current state.
[Image: 9af9142cecd94af7990ca6a75a9db6b1-png.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ALV's post:
  • chrisherald

The end of the UK opt-out just now finished on a shot from the gallery. Not entirely sure if that was intentional or not.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN

(23-04-2023, 03:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  The end of the UK opt-out just now finished on a shot from the gallery. Not entirely sure if that was intentional or not.

It was a recording from just before 3pm when the alert went off, nice touch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aaron_scotland's post:
  • chrisherald

(23-04-2023, 03:46 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(23-04-2023, 03:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  The end of the UK opt-out just now finished on a shot from the gallery. Not entirely sure if that was intentional or not.

It was a recording from just before 3pm when the alert went off, nice touch.

[Image: IMG-4278.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, LDN

(23-04-2023, 02:51 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(23-04-2023, 02:35 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I don't understand

I didn't see the clip but it reads to me this person read the autocue terribly.

A perfect example of what the guest on Newswatch was referring to. Lesser known and inexperienced presenters bumbling through bulletins. Substandard rubbish.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Kojak, Radio_man, woodnorton