BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned before - The Context now ends at 2150, followed by a sport update on the UK feed.

So the previews of the Ten and Newsnight are gone.
[-] The following 6 users Like Frances's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, oscillon, xlalonce

That makes sense to have some sport before the ten of its not coming after. The throw a heads were good tho

Shows they are testing trying and refining tho at least

Which region wasn't ready for the Celebrity Squares?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83

(24-04-2023, 10:39 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Which region wasn't ready for the Celebrity Squares?

Possibly Midlands. Elise Chamberlain on EMT welcomed viewers from the West Midlands at the start of the bulletin.
[-] The following 5 users Like JLav25's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, Steve in Pudsey, UTVLifer

(24-04-2023, 09:54 PM)Frances Wrote:  Don’t know if it’s been mentioned before - The Context now ends at 2150, followed by a sport update on the UK feed.
Tidying up the timings of Sport and Business segments is one of those small, easy changes they could make that would improve things a bit (or at least make things make more sense/be more useable). At the minute, some hours have Business updates, some have Sport bulletins, some have both and some have neither; sometimes the Business and Sport segments are branded and listed, sometimes they aren't; and the times within the hours that such segments appear varies significantly - Sport, for instance, could be at half-past, quarter-to or gone ten-to.

Given the supposed focus of the new channel on live news, it is arguably a little surprising for them to continue with such fixed updates. But if they are to persist with them, surely it would make more sense for them to be regular or, at the very least, signposted for those interested. One solution would be to use the 16:00 hour/old-WNT format across the schedule - i.e., have a roughly 10-minute segment at xx:40, with this alternating between business and sport. This would also allow World to opt-out after the segment for their weird 5-minute features, giving some more space for UK news.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83

(24-04-2023, 07:46 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 12:29 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Most of the desk shots during the 10 remain, although the table extension now occupies the front part of them

Wonder if a closer shot with just Huw and the monolith remains possible...
The position of the camera tracks haven't changed, so there is no reason why that shot can't still be achieved.  The dais for the desk is still the same size.

Indeed, they repeated it.

[Image: image.png]

Speaking of big desk alterations, it was BBC London that had a subtle change - presenter is now standing not in front of but behind the desk.

[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

(24-04-2023, 08:03 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 07:40 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Plus, there was a tweet that it will be used during the Elections coverage.
Given the tweet included a photo of B as well as E, I suspect it might have been a case of mix-up/typo as we know B will be used for the main body of the election night programme. I suppose they could be using it for next day coverage, but seems both unnecessary, as local elections coverage will be done by 16:30 on Friday, and next-day coverage is branded as a Politics Live special so would presumably come from Millbank (if not B).

Only other possibilities would be using it as a secondary studio (though seems over-the-top for local election coverage, especially in a 'lesser' year) or as a fallback studio (though I doubt they would use a studio in the same building for resilience as Millbank a) typically serves that function and b) would make more sense). But, as I say, typo seems likely.

Surely the most likely use of E during the election programme is for news bulletins?

Having a spare studio in the same building can be useful as a contingency against issues which only affect one studio. You don't want to be schlepping over to Millbank every time the automation misbehaves in C.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • chrisherald

(25-04-2023, 04:07 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(24-04-2023, 08:03 PM)DTV Wrote:  Given the tweet included a photo of B as well as E, I suspect it might have been a case of mix-up/typo as we know B will be used for the main body of the election night programme. I suppose they could be using it for next day coverage, but seems both unnecessary, as local elections coverage will be done by 16:30 on Friday, and next-day coverage is branded as a Politics Live special so would presumably come from Millbank (if not B).

Only other possibilities would be using it as a secondary studio (though seems over-the-top for local election coverage, especially in a 'lesser' year) or as a fallback studio (though I doubt they would use a studio in the same building for resilience as Millbank a) typically serves that function and b) would make more sense). But, as I say, typo seems likely.

Surely the most likely use of E during the election programme is for news bulletins?

Having a spare studio in the same building can be useful as a contingency against issues which only affect one studio. You don't want to be schlepping over to Millbank every time the automation misbehaves in C.

Random question, how long would it take on average to get from say The World's Newsroom to the BBC's Millbank studios?
[-] The following 3 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, xlalonce

(25-04-2023, 04:21 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Random question, how long would it take on average to get from say The World's Newsroom to the BBC's Millbank studios?
The following for the journey:

[*]Car - 7 minutes (if you're very lucky with not much traffic)
[*]Tube - around 15 minutes
[*]Walking - 28 minutes
[*]Cycle - 7 minutes
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, bkman1990, UTVLifer

(25-04-2023, 05:07 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(25-04-2023, 04:21 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Random question, how long would it take on average to get from say The World's Newsroom to the BBC's Millbank studios?
The following for the journey:

[*]Car - 7 minutes (if you're very lucky with not much traffic)
[*]Tube - around 15 minutes
[*]Walking - 28 minutes
[*]Cycle - 7 minutes

Thanks, just that since over on the Blue & Purple Places it has always been in the back of one's mind. Especially, since the move of the news operations to NBH.
[-] The following 4 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, Stuart