BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Maybe they need to take the weather out of the 10 again, or at least out of the simulcast - but frankly they'd still make a mess of it. Just stick Sportsday back at 10.30 where it belongs with either filler at 10.45 or Newsnight on a delay scheduled to finish at 11.30.

Ultimately though this "new" channel is just never going to work in this butchered incarnation. Would actually be better off switching to a news wheel format with an hour of content taped at key points of the day then played in an appropriate running order for both services with live inserts and updates for both as required.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, PatrZDZ

(04-05-2023, 07:26 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  Given that Newsnight (Mon-Thurs) has the awkward duration of 40 minutes, does that mean that the NC (UK feed) now crashes into the already-underway 23:00 (World) output circa 10 minutes late (presumably meaning that there are currently messy NC junctions at *both* ends of Newsnight)?

Mon-Thurs editions of Newsnight have already been reduced from their longstanding 50-min slot to 40-mins in recent years. And the Friday edition has only had a 30 minute slot for many years, due to when it used to be followed by a weekly arts programme (e.g. Late Review / Newsnight Review) on BBC Two.

It would surely be wise to tidy things up by having it reduced to a 30-min slot five days a week, so that the NC simulcast can end cleanly in time for the NC's own 23:00 output.
Arguably a case of the tail wagging the dog - Newsnight has been on BBC2 for literally decades. If the News Channel wants to take it, they should work around the schedule. 

I suspect the reality is that there’s just not the combination of budget and audience at that time to justify anyone caring. In many ways, I think crashing into Newsday 10 minutes into the programme is worse than crashing out of the 10 during its last few minutes, but both suggest that what goes out on the News Channel after 10pm just isn’t a priority. 

It’s almost like you’re watching someone’s Sky box who just flicks over to whatever news is most appropriate for U.K. audiences from a choice of BBC (World) News, BBC1 and BBC2. From 10pm, stick on BBC1, flick over to BBC2 and pre-empt with Newsnight when it starts, then back to BBC (World) News when there’s nothing on BBC1 or 2.
[-] The following 9 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • all new phil, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, Jeff, Ma76, PatrZDZ, UTVLifer

Honestly I enjoy newsnight on the NC. I’d never tune in to BBC2 for it, so it’s having the desired effect.

I just don’t know why they can’t just play it on a slight delay. I’m no insider - would that be easy to do?

And probably shouldn’t go to news say. Just a 20mins countdown instead (jokes).
[-] The following 1 user Likes GraemeT88's post:
  • chrisherald

They'd arguably be better off looping the 10 from 10-12 each night than the mess they current have.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

(04-05-2023, 07:41 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Maybe they need to take the weather out of the 10 again, or at least out of the simulcast - but frankly they'd still make a mess of it.  Just stick Sportsday back at 10.30 where it belongs with either filler at 10.45 or Newsnight on a delay scheduled to finish at 11.30.

Ultimately though this "new" channel is just never going to work in this butchered incarnation.  Would actually be better off switching to a news wheel format with an hour of content taped at key points of the day then played in an appropriate running order for both services with live inserts and updates for both as required.
I don't see why they just couldn't take WNA at 10. (I suspect BBC politics are at play.) Anyone who wants to watch the Ten can do so on BBC One, as indeed most do. Unless there were sign language on the NC simulcast of the Ten - which there isn't - there is no point duplicating the output of BBC One, especially when there is already something else available to broadcast.
[-] The following 8 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, ilsondan15, Jeff, LargelyALurker, Ma76, Newsroom

Must be politics at play as WNA dosent consistitute the premium hours for Uk broadcast as the editor put it, it’s premium all right it’s just a word for we don’t have any money so we will just play out content from other outlets to suit the Uk audience and only if required wheel out a presenter in front of a tv, they might as well not bother.

Signing both the 10 and then Newsnight would be good PSB.

I think if WNA was at any other time it would play out - it may be a simulcast but it would be odd not to show the BBC's flagship news bulletin on their flagship news channel.

Ideally they'd restore the hour long format that played out on the news channel in the early days of digital TV but sharing studios with London now makes that a non-starter. Three points in the day with an hour of UK focused content rather than half an hour would instantly add value though.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, Ma76, xlalonce

The opt out didn't go quite to plan. 😀

twitter.com 

(04-05-2023, 07:41 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Maybe they need to take the weather out of the 10 again, or at least out of the simulcast - but frankly they'd still make a mess of it.  Just stick Sportsday back at 10.30 where it belongs with either filler at 10.45 or Newsnight on a delay scheduled to finish at 11.30.

Ultimately though this "new" channel is just never going to work in this butchered incarnation.  Would actually be better off switching to a news wheel format with an hour of content taped at key points of the day then played in an appropriate running order for both services with live inserts and updates for both as required.

BBC News could learn a few things from what ITN did with the first incarnation of their news channel. It was run on a shoestring budget and staffing but I always thought it punched well above its weight on air.

Short sharp headlines, and into the top story within 30 seconds! The branding was also very good and has actually aged quite well.

Granted the presentation side of the channel was quite lifeless (no standing pres/very few studio guest contributions until the initial 2002 and then 2005 ITV News rebrand) but as a basic news wheel service, it was delivered very well. Watching the BBC News channel these days, its basically static camera/presenter at desk shots with little creativity in how studio C is utilised.

ITN also proved you can put out a reasonable product with consistent branding that doesn't look butchered on a tight budget.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 15 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chevron, Former Member 406, Frances, harshy, justinh, LargelyALurker, LDN, Ma76, matthieu1221, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(04-05-2023, 02:40 PM)Worzel Wrote:  

BBC News could learn a few things from what ITN did with the first incarnation of their news channel. It was run on a shoestring budget and staffing but I always thought it punched well above its weight on air.

Short sharp headlines, and into the top story within 30 seconds! The branding was also very good and has actually aged quite well.

Granted the presentation side of the channel was quite lifeless (no standing pres/very few studio guest contributions until the initial 2002 and then 2005 ITV News rebrand) but as a basic news wheel service, it was delivered very well. Watching the BBC News channel these days, its basically static camera/presenter at desk shots with little creativity in how studio C is utilised.

ITN also proved you can put out a reasonable product with consistent branding that doesn't look butchered.

youtu.be 
So good it closed down and was a massive loss maker and sacked numerous on the eve of Christmas