BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(05-05-2023, 04:40 PM)cando Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 01:49 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Looks like they had a hard time urging presenters from London to move to DC...

[Image: image.png]

It was openly advertised. This is a commercial BBC World hire.
None of the dropped presenters have any of the Washington experience she has and none have been the permanent host of a main evening news programme. She has interviewed every US president since Clinton and has many contacts there. Basically she is in a different league.
I would think that job was highly prized by many in London. After all look at Kathy Kay and her career after anchoring on the BBC World News America. In fact, if you add together all the PBS Stations that take that Bulletin as well as the World News Channel itself you've an huge audience. The fact is that she is top notch at anchoring, She has a contacts book that would be second to none. She also has a detailed knowledge of Irish and UK politics, which would rule out a lot of possible American talent  and yes she's Irish which tends to be a plus when dealing with Americans.
[-] The following 9 users Like chinamug's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, cando, chrisherald, London Lite, Ma76, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain

Tbh I'm still speechless that Catriona took this job with BBC News when I read about it yesterday. Her profile is just going to explode in popularity with her hosting the bulletins in Washington.

It is just a great boost to add to the Irish journalism talent that already have been featured on BBC World for over 4 decades.

When you talk about names like Fergal Keane, Orla Guerin and Tadhg Enright that work currently for the BBC along with Olivia O'Leary on Newsnight in the past. They are all former employees of RTÉ that now have great profiles in their respective fields while working for the BBC.

And Catriona Perry being added to the list makes it a very strong line up when they are now working for the one of the biggest broadcasters in the UK and around the world.
[-] The following 8 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff, Ma76, Quantum+83, Superman1986, whistlerpro

(05-05-2023, 08:44 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Tbh I'm still speechless that Catriona took this job with BBC News when I read about it yesterday. Her profile is just going to explode in popularity with her hosting the bulletins in Washington.

It is just a great boost to add to the Irish journalism talent that already have been featured on BBC World for over 4 decades.

When you talk about names like Fergal Keane, Orla Guerin and Tadhg Enright that work currently for the BBC along with Olivia O'Leary on Newsnight in the past. They are all former employees of RTÉ that now have great profiles in their respective fields while working for the BBC.

And Catriona Perry being added to the list makes it a very strong line up when they are now working for the one of the biggest broadcasters in the UK and around the world.
You left out Nuala McGovern?
[-] The following 4 users Like Superman1986's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83

(05-05-2023, 08:46 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 08:44 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Tbh I'm still speechless that Catriona took this job with BBC News when I read about it yesterday. Her profile is just going to explode in popularity with her hosting the bulletins in Washington.

You left out Nuala McGovern?
Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me about Nuala. Another great name to add to that list.
[-] The following 5 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, cando, Quantum+83, Superman1986

Nice to see Jane Hill holding a clipboard backed with a logo that was retired four years ago.
[-] The following 5 users Like chris's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Ma76, Quantum+83, TJTSW

(05-05-2023, 10:26 PM)chris Wrote:  Nice to see Jane Hill holding a clipboard backed with a logo that was retired four years ago.

That's nothing! I was watching a BBC Look East report the other week with a reporter wearing a high vis jacket, sporting the pre-1997 Michael Peters and Partners logo on.
[-] The following 4 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Ma76, Quantum+83

Catriona Perry has just appeared as a guest on The Late Late Show on RTÉ One in the last few minutes. She got a nice applause from the audience when she made her announcement on the show.
[-] The following 4 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • AJB39, cando, Quantum+83, Superman1986

Nice to see dual headline presentation tonight.

[-] The following 10 users Like koyahyellow's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Chud, Ma76, oscillon, Quantum+83, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(05-05-2023, 04:40 PM)cando Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 01:49 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Looks like they had a hard time urging presenters from London to move to DC...

[Image: image.png]

It was openly advertised. This is a commercial BBC World hire.
None of the dropped presenters have any of the Washington experience she has and none have been the permanent host of a main evening news programme. She has interviewed every US president since Clinton and has many contacts there. Basically she is in a different league.
That’s not what Naja Nielsen said in this interview. It says that the expansion is coming from the public funded side of the BBC not the commercially funded side. The article questions how this can be justified when they are reducing the number of staff in London. 

pressgazette.co.uk 

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 2 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • Frances, Newsroom

(05-05-2023, 11:38 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 04:40 PM)cando Wrote:  It was openly advertised. This is a commercial BBC World hire.
That’s not what Naja Nielsen said in this interview. It says that the expansion is coming from the public funded side of the BBC not the commercially funded side. The article questions how this can be justified when they are reducing the number of staff in London. 

pressgazette.co.uk 

Well America is so much more important to the BBC then its UK roots, they should change their slogan from:

This is Our BBC 
to 
This is America's free BBC
[-] The following 1 user Likes TJTSW's post:
  • Independent