BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Caught the 1pm news from B for the first time and what a cold, sterile, unwelcoming set that is. The blocks of white and grey just mean the set has no warmth to it at all, especially in the main desk area.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • all new phil, AndrewP, chrisherald, Daveuk, justinh

(18-05-2023, 03:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Caught the 1pm news from B for the first time and what a cold, sterile, unwelcoming set that is.  The blocks of white and grey just mean the set has no warmth to it at all, especially in the main desk area.

Totally agree. It’s a nice space but the design on the screens makes it look virtual and too stark. Looks miles better on a Sunday morning for Laura K’s show.
[-] The following 6 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jayesyn, UTVLifer, xlalonce

Brekkie Wrote:Caught the 1pm news from B for the first time and what a cold, sterile, unwelcoming set that is.  The blocks of white and grey just mean the set has no warmth to it at all, especially in the main desk area.

Confused. Are you saying you’ve never seen B in action before, that it looks different at 1pm, that you’re just reminded of it, or that it doesn’t suit that time of day?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

It does feel odd seeing it at 1pm but good that it all comes from the same place. It still feels odd if i check out NWT as to me thats Breakfast studio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeview87's post:
  • chrisherald

(18-05-2023, 03:42 PM)Moz Wrote:  
Brekkie Wrote:Caught the 1pm news from B for the first time and what a cold, sterile, unwelcoming set that is.  The blocks of white and grey just mean the set has no warmth to it at all, especially in the main desk area.

Confused. Are you saying you’ve never seen B in action before, that it looks different at 1pm, that you’re just reminded of it, or that it doesn’t suit that time of day?

I wasn't a fan of it at launch and don't really catch BBC News bulletins too often but it just felt really stark today in comparison to it previously being in E.   It was at the moment of a down the line shot which I think we discussed at launch wasn't the best.   I think they could probably get away with white graphics on the screens and monolith if the back of the set wasn't predominantly white and grey too.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Moz, UTVLifer

The set looks far better in wide shots than close up.
[-] The following 5 users Like Joe's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, Frances, UTVLifer

Joe Wrote:The set looks far better in wide shots than close up.
The catwalk is definitely the best-executed part of Studio B. Think the wider angle of the desk that includes the monolith looks quite good, but the head-on shot that tends to be used for the bulk of the programme is probably the worst part of the set. It would look fine for a news summary, but doesn't work for a proper bulletin. 

As others have said, B can look quite sterile. I think it works for The Six, but it could definitely do with warmer 'daylight' colours being added for The One and a few shades of blue and purple for The Ten. 

Part of me think we'll see quite a shift in the way the set looks when BBC News eventually unveils a rebrand. There's obviously a possibility that Studio B was designed with a different look in mind, but this look was unfinished and we got the refreshed 2008 globe instead.
[-] The following 17 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, denton, Former Member 406, Frances, Ittr, Jayesyn, Jeff, oscillon, Quantum+83, Radio_man, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Some may have noticed that on the 6 to night both Sophie and Fergus Walsh were both at the front monolith. I'd not seen that before and it worked well.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon

(18-05-2023, 07:59 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Some may have noticed that on the 6 to night both Sophie and Fergus Walsh were both at the front monolith. I'd not seen that before and it worked well.

Screenshots for those who missed it:

[Image: bbc-news-at-six-monolith-duo-01.png]

[Image: bbc-news-at-six-monolith-duo-03.png]

[Image: bbc-news-at-six-monolith-duo-02.png]
[-] The following 8 users Like LDN's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Jayesyn, Jeff, oscillon, Roger Darthwell, TJTSW, TVHead

I think the issue there and in general is that images look great on the monolith when you're watching in person - but not so great watching on a 16:9 TV. Wouldn't be surprised though if that's deliberate with the intention they'll work cropped for social media.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chris, chrisherald, LargelyALurker