BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(22-05-2023, 09:18 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 08:56 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  A reminder of what we had and what used to be BBC standard.

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

And to be honest, that was the ugliest version of Impact and by that stage all the shows suffered from a samey rundown and format, not to mention revolting in house backdrop. 

I get money is tight but this is bleak stuff. Should have never gone to air. What’s the point of even having a creative director?

I really liked that Impact look, the intro had lots of detail, culminating with Yalda's face appearing. The music and effects were perfectly synced with graphics, studio wide shot/side shot transition. An actual effort was put in by creative people to achieve that.

As for Global, I prefer the original, more dramatic theme/open.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 13 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DTV, harshy, Jayesyn, Jeff, Quantum+83, sky303, SomeRandomStuff, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(22-05-2023, 09:47 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 09:38 PM)Andrew Wrote:  What’s bizarre is that there must be 100s of variants of the BBC News theme kicking around now that have been used for various programmes over the years, so why not reuse one of those

Using the same theme with different cheap visuals makes it look like a tin pot operation that can only afford one piece of music. It’s the sort of thing one of the Local TV channels would have done.
I totally agree, Andrew. It baffles me too. When these new strands were announced last week, I did - for a fleeting moment - wonder whether they might not have commissioned any new theme music for them. I suspected they might have reused something, but I really didn't expect them to use the exact same title music as every other bulletin.

Like you say, there are literally hundreds of versions of the Lowe music now and I'm sure they could have dug something out of the archive and reused it. They could even have resurrected the BBC World News 2010 themes - The Hub, Impact, GMT - and they would have been infinitely better than this. In fact, there was even a theme from the 2010 WN rebrand that never made it to air - Frontline with Lyse Doucet.

Ha! I stumbled across the Frontline audio package on my PC a few weeks ago (I do love the full one-minute closing bed and titles!), and I had much the same thought at the time about reusing older themes for current BBC News output. Great minds thinking alike...!  Big Grin

There are so many titles that have been virtually forgotten to time -- from the punchy Despatch Box, and Westminster Live; to the near-ancient 2W News & Sport, Newyddion BBC, and News 24 Tonight. 

I don't understand why those in charge believe that using the exact same music over and over and over again, until everyone's sick to death of it, is a better solution than delving into the huge library of BBC News music and using older options that are still on-brand. 

There's something depressing about the complete lack of imagination in both the visual and aural aspects of BBC News' new design direction.
[-] The following 11 users Like LDN's post:
  • AaronLancs, AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, itsrobert, Kojak, Quantum+83, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer, woodnorton

(22-05-2023, 09:37 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  Do you know when the 2008 Globe titles will finally end?

They will outlive us all.
[-] The following 9 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ginnyfan, LDN, mouseboy33, Newsroom, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(22-05-2023, 05:12 PM)harshy Wrote:  Ros Aitkins verify piece is very struttery like it’s  being played from a little web server.

This channel is just a joke a massive opportunity absolutely thrown away they just don’t care.
Just watched the Ros Atkins piece on the Ten.  Whoever was the camera operator for that, should be ashamed of themselves. The picture was shaking all over the place, more than any episode of Casualty I've seen.

Why haven't they used the BBC Verify circular purple logo that was played out during Breakfast this morning in any of the coverage today? And they should recolour at least some of the studio purple to match. What they have done, from what I've read in these comments here, seems completely pointless.
[-] The following 6 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83, SomeRandomStuff, Stuart

It’s rubbish. All of it. All the new titles look like they were knocked up in an afternoon, which they probably were! As others have said, I think they would have got 2 stars at most in the Gallery. Just not good enough. You’re the BBC, for crying out loud! A byword for quality worldwide.

Hopefully these monstrosities are just temporary - perhaps they had to get something knocked up sharpish (I understand BBC World is very keen on branded shows because they are much easier to sell worldwide).
[-] The following 8 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, harshy, Juicy Joe, Quantum+83, Robinho02, UTVLifer

(22-05-2023, 10:16 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Just watched the Ros Atkins piece on the Ten.  Whoever was the camera operator for that, should be ashamed of themselves. The picture was shaking all over the place, more than any episode of Casualty I've seen.

Why haven't they used the BBC Verify circular purple logo that was played out during Breakfast this morning in any of the coverage today? And they should recolour at least some of the studio purple to match. What they have done, from what I've read in these comments here, seems completely pointless.
I agree, the 'not-very-Steadicam' made me feel nauseous.  I changed channel.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Juicy Joe, Quantum+83

(22-05-2023, 09:51 PM)House Wrote:  That doesn’t explain why interviews are done to camera rather than to a screen, though, given these are usually not autocue-driven. They’ve also not been afraid to hide the auto cue controller on the desk given it’s visible sometimes in wide shots.

The Autocue will still need scrolling while they're reading the intro to the guest (which is when they would normally cut to the screen). I suspect it would look rather awkward and be distracting, seeing the presenter operating the controller.

It's one thing to have a fleeting glance of it for a few seconds on a wide shot, but it's another thing to see them operating it in clear view.

(22-05-2023, 06:05 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  The launch day of these new branded slots is so important that 2 out of 3 main presenters did not show up to do theirs.

For those who missed the amazing new looks!

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

"Welcome to Daily Global, where we'll bring you the top stories from around the world."

So just like every hour then?
[-] The following 7 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, Michael Power, mouseboy33, Quantum+83

(22-05-2023, 09:34 PM)Jonny Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 08:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It feels like virtually every change at BBC News since the move to NBH has had a whiff of temporaryness about them - always one or two elements changes in advance of something else expected to change a bit further down the line.    Maybe it was expectation rather than reality but even think when the NBH studios launched there was the feeling the continued use of the (amended) Lambie Nairn globe was ony until a new graphics package was ready.    We just didn't know that would be another 11 years or more.
I feel out of the loop. I was under the impression the botched looking red box that was applied to the 2008 titles last year was a stopgap preceding a comprehensive rebrand?

Baffled to see the 2008 Globe clumsily re-edited again with the Reith brand style and animations. 

Stretches credulity this is anything other than a temporary solution?

Exactly.   What is annoying is there is an actually pretty decent adaptation of the globe used as a sting as part of this look with it centred within the BBC NEWS logo.   It's short, but looks slick and professional, unlike any of the branding we've seen today and indeed the edit of the main titles.    If they'd fleshed that out to be part of the main title sequence, even if that means three pips instead of however many we get now then it likely would have worked fine.

I also thought they were supposed to be tidying up the headline sequences - they still seem pretty lengthy.

(22-05-2023, 09:59 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 09:18 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  And to be honest, that was the ugliest version of Impact and by that stage all the shows suffered from a samey rundown and format, not to mention revolting in house backdrop. 

I get money is tight but this is bleak stuff. Should have never gone to air. What’s the point of even having a creative director?

I really liked that Impact look, the intro had lots of detail, culminating with Yalda's face appearing. The music and effects were perfectly synced with graphics, studio wide shot/side shot transition. An actual effort was put in by creative people to achieve that.

As for Global, I prefer the original, more dramatic theme/open.

www.youtube.com 

The effort put into that is what you expect from a global news organisation - looks and sounds great, with a theme that is clearly unique yet also clearly BBC News.   Even the brief graphic at the beginning promoting Global as coming up looks a thousand times better than anything that made it to screen today.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, chrisherald, ginnyfan, Juicy Joe, Quantum+83

Since Tanya Beckett and branded programming have been mentioned, here's a how branded shows on BBC World News used to work:
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

Could have used a better name but a very strong bulletin with news as a priority:
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Independent's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, Quantum+83