BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Brekkie Wrote:
Moz Wrote:Breaking News coverage of Tina Turner's death has been spot on to be honest.

Of interest to Americans though so of course it has.

To be fair the news of her death is of interest to many outside America as well. She was an incredible singer and performer.
[-] The following 10 users Like AJB39's post:
  • aaron_scotland, AndrewP, BBI45, bkman1990, chaose, ginnyfan, JamesWorldNews, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Scratch_Perry

I don't get why they don't simulcast Politics Live anyway - should have been one of the first things they did when cuts came in over the last couple of years. And now it's UK content at a peak part of the day.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990

(24-05-2023, 08:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't get why they don't simulcast Politics Live anyway - should have been one of the first things they did when cuts came in over the last couple of years.  And now it's UK content at a peak part of the day.
I'd rather Politics Live wasn't on at all, to be honest (or at least was completely retooled). There are far too many rent-a-gobs on there who contribute nothing of substance. The whole point of that programme seems to be to get buzz on social media.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, denton, DTV, GMc, Telefunken

(24-05-2023, 08:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(24-05-2023, 07:48 PM)Moz Wrote:  Breaking News coverage of Tina Turner's death has been spot on to be honest.

World wide surely, pretty big name
[-] The following 5 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, JamesWorldNews, Kojak

(24-05-2023, 08:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(24-05-2023, 07:48 PM)Moz Wrote:  Breaking News coverage of Tina Turner's death has been spot on to be honest.

If you'd watched the coverage it turns out she wasn't very popular in America for large parts of her career - it was the UK audience that really gave her success.

She also relinquished her US citizenship ten years ago.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 7 users Like Moz's post:
  • aaron_scotland, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jon, Scratch_Perry, xlalonce

Tina Turner was an international superstar so coverage of her death is more than justified. The same could not be said for the S Club 7 member a month or so ago, as sad as it was.
[-] The following 7 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, bob, JamesWorldNews, Pips2022, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(24-05-2023, 08:45 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(24-05-2023, 08:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Of interest to Americans though so of course it has.

If you'd watched the coverage it turns out she wasn't very popular in America for large parts of her career - it was the UK audience that really gave her success.

A bit like Neighbours and Australia then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • chrisherald

(24-05-2023, 08:45 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(24-05-2023, 08:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Of interest to Americans though so of course it has.

Exactly, she was Swiss towards the end of her life (and never lost her popularity on the continent). So it really is 'world news'. Considering the channel was leading with Schofield's resignation on Saturday, which is of zero interest to anyone outside the UK (as well as many people in the UK), I don't think them leading with Tina Turner's passing tonight is anything to get worked up about. Think about how Michael Jackson's death dominated news bulletins. Same rules apply here.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Pips2022, xlalonce

Not sure if you all miss my point or prove my point. BBC News isn't made primarily for a UK audience anymore, hence a death of a celebrity with an international profile is likely to be dealt with more appropriately on a channel which prioritises it's international profile.

Of all the things to pick holes in the merged channel, I don't think giving heavy coverage to Tina Turner, who was a megastar in the UK and internationally, is one of them.
[-] The following 17 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chaose, chris, chrisherald, DTV, JamesWorldNews, Moz, oscillon, Pips2022, Quantum+83, seenee, strollfan, Studio7, thomalex, xlalonce