BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Newsroom Wrote:
ginnyfan Wrote:I don't think Yalda was very happy to have to do that story at the top of the hour.

I was having the same chat with a friend at dinner. She looked horrified to have to explain this on a global branded show. 

Dire!

“It’s just been announced that British television presenter Phillip Schofield has stepped down from British TV channel ITV, this follows him leaving the British morning magazine show This Morning on British channel ITV and he will also now not present the British British Soap Awards which were due to be filmed in Manchester in Northern England next Saturday and air on British channel ITV”

I’m exaggerating of course, but it was a bit like that, particularly when they had to throw to a correspondent to explain who Phillip is to worldwide viewers!
[-] The following 10 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, Newsroom, Quantum+83, Rolling News, Stuart, UTVLifer

8 minutes on Schofe at the top of the hour, and another 5 at half past. All this for a global audience who have no idea who he is! Utterly ridiculous. 'Daily Global', my foot!

Edit: And of course they went back to the story after World opted out for The Travel Show.

(26-05-2023, 07:22 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 07:21 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I don't think Yalda was very happy to have to do that story at the top of the hour.

I was having the same chat with a friend at dinner. She looked horrified to have to explain this on a global branded show. 

Dire!

Yalda looked even more uncomfortable, borderline horrified at the TOTH having to do this story than when Alison and Dermot gave their 30-second obituary-style tribute to Schofield on Monday's TM
[-] The following 8 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, Jeff, Quantum+83, Superman1986

(26-05-2023, 07:48 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  8 minutes on Schofe at the top of the hour, and another 5 at half past. All this for a global audience who have no idea who he is! Utterly ridiculous. 'Daily Global', my foot!

Edit: And of course they went back to the story after World opted out for The Travel Show.
The thing is about these kinds of UK-big/World-nothing stories is that, while I think there is a way you can still cover it, any such ability is massively hampered by the utterly lethargic pace of the channel at the minute - you're doing fifteen stories this hour, fine; you're doing half-a-dozen stories this hour, this is one of them?
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(26-05-2023, 08:42 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 07:48 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  8 minutes on Schofe at the top of the hour, and another 5 at half past. All this for a global audience who have no idea who he is! Utterly ridiculous. 'Daily Global', my foot!

The thing is about these kinds of UK-big/World-nothing stories is that, while I think there is a way you can still cover it, any such ability is massively hampered by the utterly lethargic pace of the channel at the minute - you're doing half a dozen stories this hour, and this is one of them?
I think a quick hit for UK viewers during World's :15 break, and then that interview after they broke for The Travel Show would have been far preferable. Maybe a report towards the end of the hour if World absolutely had to know about Schofield.
[-] The following 9 users Like Studio7's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DTV, Independent, interestednovice, Jeff, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(26-05-2023, 07:21 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I don't think Yalda was very happy to have to do that story at the top of the hour.
Yeah Yalda doesn’t strike me as someone who’d sit at home playing Spin To Win

On a positive note, I'm really enjoying seeing so much of Tanya Beckett lately. I had forgotten what a good presenter she is. Personality in spades.

Absolutely, re Tanya. An excellent presenter and highly experienced.
[-] The following 11 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, Independent, interestednovice, London Lite, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(26-05-2023, 03:38 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I think you hit the nail on the head for me. Some of the presenters seem bored when they are presenting. I dont expect them to be bouncing around or jumping about, but geez. You look back say at the old Flag era and there was some peppier presenting. Now its just library hush-style of presenting. Sometimes toward the end of the sentence I dont even hear what was said.
Is the self-operated autocue a factor in this? Presenters are limited in adding flair because they are having to do more.

The channel seems to be running on a shoestring. They've 'merged' but the quality and resource is below what each single channel used to have.

The dullness of the presentation (being desk bound etc) compared to what these presenters worked with just a couple months ago can't help this.

I thought gradually they would go back to the usual presentation, with the side shot of screen, main close up shot and occasional catwalk usage. But NO, it looks like we are stuck with this one close-up shot forever. The studio wide intro shot is also somehow slower and less urgent than before.

It must be because of this terrible change with the self-operated autocue. Presenters have to focus on kicking that peddle or switching that button on the device on the desk. It must make the whole thing much more complicated for them. There's no freedom to change camera shots, turn around, move freely. They are all like frozen robots, having to focus on that device.

Was this change really necessary? Surely someone who used to do it in the gallery, can do it again. Are they that desperate to save a few bucks? I have also noticed more presenters now have their small or big bags under the desk, or next to their chair, something that never happened before. I wonder if they have to do their own make up now, perhaps? The desk area has become a dressing room as well, for some.

[Image: 12-05-2023-5.jpg]

[Image: 21-05-2023-2.jpg]

[Image: 24-04-2023-1.jpg]

[Image: 22-05-2023-5.jpg]

What's next? Presenters operating the whole gallery? Being the floor managers? Do they even have them anymore?
[-] The following 11 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, James, Jayesyn, Manxy, oscillon, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer