BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I can't believe that I've just heard Rita say on the 10, when talking about Turkish inflation " . . . that's the rate at which prices rise".

Has the flagship evening UK bulletin now been reduced to Newsround levels of explanation to the audience? Confused
[-] The following 10 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Alf Stewart, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, thomalex, thomash79, UTVLifer

It would be great to see an hour similar to this being recreated during 2am UKT/9pm ET. Assuming sports is done live at the time, a branded hour that integrates the separate programs. News from DC, Business from Singapore and Sports from Manchester. But the simulcasts with PBS probably make it difficult to do that today unless they can convince them to take the entire hour. It's also possible ABR is also simulcast elsewhere if I'm not mistaken.
What a coincidence the YouTube algorithms pulled this out with the first headline in the functioning ticker mentioning Ike Turner given the recent passing of Tina Turner! And five headlines from three locations and titles in 1 minute!
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like Independent's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, watchingtv

(29-05-2023, 10:34 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Has the flagship evening UK bulletin now been reduced to Newsround levels of explanation to the audience? Confused
But the audience is not as well versed in economics as some of us think …
Read the first paragraph of section 11of the Blastland Dilnot report
www.bbc.co.uk 

I did not see the item to get the context but explanations are needed…
Just think of the Welsh VAT burden pageb19,!
[-] The following 4 users Like Technologist's post:
  • bai4943, Jeff, Quantum+83, RhysJR

(29-05-2023, 10:34 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I can't believe that I've just heard Rita say on the 10, when talking about Turkish inflation " . . . that's the rate at which prices rise".

Has the flagship evening UK bulletin now been reduced to Newsround levels of explanation to the audience? Confused
This is the right thing to do. Everything should be explained simply and accessibly. If you don’t do this all the time, you veer into assumed knowledge — thinking everyone will know who the Spanish prime minister is and what Thailand’s currency is. It takes three seconds to add a little explanation, and it’s for a mainstream audience of millions of viewers.
[-] The following 13 users Like Connews's post:
  • AIB01WB, bbctvtechop, bkman1990, bob, Jeff, Joe, LargelyALurker, LDN, Nobby, Quantum+83, Reith85, SlimyTrain, Telefunken

(29-05-2023, 09:39 PM)DTV Wrote:  I think you're right about an apparent shunning of proper news reports among some quarters, I get the impression some senior editors consider it a bit old-fashioned - but I just find that a bit odd considering it is pretty much the USP of television news - if you just want to organise discussions, move to radio/podcasts.

While GB News and Talk TV are certainly notable examples of ''discussion' over news', I'm not sure it's necessarily the BBC copying them so much as a general panelification of TV news since the middle of the last decade - a view that what people think has happened is as/more important than explaining what has happened. I mean, Politics Live - probably the BBC's unedifying pinnacle of this - actually predates the opinion channels.

Comparing the World Service to World News is always a bit hard as, although there is a lot of News on WS, it's more of an international Radio 4 than a news channel. But I'd expect any analysis to find that it's very internationally-focussed during its news programming and with a news agenda that is more newsworthiness/PSB-based than World News used to be. Indeed, if anything, WS has probably got less UK news on now than it did two decades or so ago - back then it used to have a few 'news in the UK' programmes, which have largely gone as standalone programmes.
I think there were only a few packages in an old NC newscast? Especially on weekdays.

I normally watched the old NC in daytime hours and always spotted interviews with correspondents or guests. Most packages were from the One and the Six, and they run them in the 8pm hour.

But compared with the old World, the amount of packages on the new NC has been decreased radically.

(29-05-2023, 10:16 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  I wonder if this is all because said senior editors have seen the incredible success of podcasts, thought 'we want some of that' and so have tried to turn whole programmes/channels into sort-of extended podcasts? Notwithstanding that everyone and their dog has a podcast now, so wouldn't these news channels be better off being an alternative to all of that?

You're probably right about it not being so much the BBC copying GB News, as it is a more general trend. Though I note with great interest that John McAndrew, who is now Director of News at the BBC, was the launch editorial director of GB News (although he left just a few months in). Perhaps his influence is being felt?
The BBC News Board member overseeing the News Channel is Director of Digital, Naja Nielsen, not McAndrew.
[-] The following 4 users Like Frances's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Quantum+83

(30-05-2023, 01:32 AM)Frances Wrote:  The BBC News broad member overseeing the News Channel is...
Is that a cousin of the titular villain from the 3rd Austin Powers movie?
[-] The following 7 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Frances, Independent, Quantum+83, Stuart, thomalex

(29-05-2023, 10:37 PM)Independent Wrote:  It would be great to see an hour similar to this being recreated during 2am UKT/9pm ET. Assuming sports is done live at the time, a branded hour that integrates the separate programs. News from DC, Business from Singapore and Sports from Manchester. But the simulcasts with PBS probably make it difficult to do that today unless they can convince them to take the entire hour. It's also possible ABR is also simulcast elsewhere if I'm not mistaken.
What a coincidence the YouTube algorithms pulled this out with the first headline in the functioning ticker mentioning Ike Turner given the recent passing of Tina Turner! And five headlines from three locations and titles in 1 minute!
www.youtube.com 
Isn’t that what Newsday is meant to be? It’s just been pared back now so it’s just in Singapore at the moment. They still have basically the same introduction.
[-] The following 5 users Like whistlerpro's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Independent, interestednovice, Quantum+83

They cut off Dexter's Fletchers interview on Breakfast so they could simulcast a radio show, poor from BBC News UK.
[-] The following 6 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Scratch_Perry

(30-05-2023, 10:10 AM)harshy Wrote:  They cut off Dexter's Fletchers interview on Breakfast so they could simulcast a radio show, poor from BBC News UK.

They always pause at 8.59. The interview continued on BBC One.
[-] The following 7 users Like freeview87's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bai4943, Jeff, Quantum+83, Reith85, Telefunken

As I've said before it's baffling why a live interview is even scheduled across that junction. Only takes a slight tweak to the running order to avoid that situation and provide a clean opt out point.
[-] The following 10 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, Jeff, LDN, Quantum+83, Scratch_Perry, Stuart