BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(07-06-2023, 12:55 PM)harshy Wrote:  They probably wore trainers in the past but they were stuck behind a desk so the viewer would never know

I do think this has been been blown totally out of proportion. 
Normally Sophie wears heels, there could be multiple reasons why she might not be able to which may not be associated with dress code, some could be medical. What would you suggest in those instances she can not present the news or do her job, that would be discriminatory.
[-] The following 8 users Like South's post:
  • Alf Stewart, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, GMc, oscillon, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain

(07-06-2023, 01:36 AM)lobster Wrote:  Sorry to say this, but you are outdated

She looks like she's off to play tennis somewhere. Excuse me for thinking news and workplace is supposed to be serious business. They might as well present in pyjamas next. Cool

BTW, she is usually one of the best dressed and most stylish. That's why this is a surprise.

(07-06-2023, 11:10 AM)Spencer Wrote:  From a practical point of view, surely wearing trainers or soft-soled shoes is beneficial given there's more walking around in the new Studio B, in that they make less noise. The last thing you want is a noisy clip-clopping in the background caused by a clacky mule.

Providing the male newsreaders are 'allowed' to wear them too, wouldn't be told 'no' by the powers that be, then I'm sure there wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I see from the weather forecast on the 1 earlier the letter S appears to have walked out in solidarity with the NUJ across the country, with Belfat, Newcatle and Glagow being affected.
[-] The following 14 users Like South's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Happy2001, itsrobert, Ittr, matthieu1221, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, SlimyTrain, Stuart, xlalonce

(07-06-2023, 02:58 PM)South Wrote:  I see from the weather forecast on the 1 earlier the letter S appears to have walked out in solidarity with the NUJ across the country, with Belfat, Newcatle and Glagow being affected.
Here are ome creen grab…

twitter.com 
[-] The following 8 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, RhysJR, Stuart, TVHead

(07-06-2023, 02:01 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  She looks like she's off to play tennis somewhere. Excuse me for thinking news and workplace is supposed to be serious business. They might as well present in pyjamas next. Cool

BTW, she is usually one of the best dressed and most stylish. That's why this is a surprise. 
What she’s wearing does not have an impact on her journalism. Period.
[-] The following 10 users Like lobster's post:
  • Alf Stewart, bkman1990, Brekkie, Critique, Frances, GMc, leewilliams, London Lite, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain

(07-06-2023, 06:48 PM)lobster Wrote:  What she’s wearing does not have an impact on her journalism. Period.

Tell that to those who hounded Shaun Ley for wearing shorts, behind the desk!

I have to say it tends to be the male newsreaders who bear the brunt of dresscode comments these days on wider social media, something that doesn't seem to be these case with female presenters.
[-] The following 4 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, GMc, SlimyTrain, xlalonce

(07-06-2023, 02:01 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  She looks like she's off to play tennis somewhere. Excuse me for thinking news and workplace is supposed to be serious business. They might as well present in pyjamas next. Cool

People always go to extremes in arguing in this sort of thing. As entertaining as your comment may be, clearly in 2023 there is no suggestion that a newsreader on the BBC would wear pyjamas. But maybe in 50 years, if in society people are wearing pyjamas to work, it might be an option. That’s the point – times change, and more casual footwear actually reflects how people actually live today.

As for the suggestion upthread that newsreaders should shave before going to air - what an out of touch remark.
[-] The following 5 users Like Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, GMc, SlimyTrain

I agree. Someone made a light hearted comment about Sophie wearing trainers and suddenly everyone has moved to the far extremes of the conversation

Either it’s a complete disgrace and the BBC should be ashamed, or clothing doesn’t matter at all and they wouldn’t bat an eye lid if Clive Myrie turned up in trackies and the trainers he uses when doing the garden
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, TVFan

Sorry take it off topic. But a behind the scenes of a self operating reporter. www.facebook.com 
[-] The following 10 users Like watchingtv's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, Newsroom, oscillon, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, xlalonce