BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Interesting decision from BBC News to have a full-sized lower thirds aston displaying the Champions League final score during a pre-recorded show at 21:30 UKT - while having at the same time a very much static flipper!

[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(10-06-2023, 11:36 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Interesting decision from BBC News to have a full-sized lower thirds aston displaying the Champions League final score during a pre-recorded show at 21:30 UKT - while having at the same time a very much static flipper!
It ran out of energy to flip quite a while ago. I think the space is only there to contain the time on the UK feed which could be placed elsewhere and release some screen real estate. They need to sort out the lower-thirds, but of course that has implications elsewhere in other programmes, so perhaps will take about 15 years.

I don't understand why they're still showing '.co.uk' when '.com' redirects anyway for UK users to a site sans adverts.
[-] The following 8 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Daveuk, Juicy Joe, Newsroom, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

A return to the Tower perhaps?

Or perhaps the 2007-2013 design?

They were broadcast sans ticker regularly..

With both output from Singapore would probably look less messy too!

Quick question -- how much testing and consultation was conducted within the BBC r.e. the current lower thirds?
I'm not up often enough to watch any ABR, but the clips I do see it does look really strange with the programme strap "too high".

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • Quantum+83, thePineapple

Probably not worthy of its own thread but noticed at the start of today's Politics East a 'This programme was recorded on Friday' message. Presumably to explain why they didn't cover Nadine's resignation.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

(11-06-2023, 03:00 PM)Keith Wrote:  Probably not worthy of its own thread but noticed at the start of today's Politics East a 'This programme was recorded on Friday' message. Presumably to explain why they didn't cover Nadine's resignation.
Most of the English regions had the "programme recorded on Friday" message.

Is the live feed on the BBC News App different to the feed in the iplayer app? I was watching on the news app which suddenly crashed out of a discussion with a guest about the Nicola Sturgeon arrest when it crashed out into the weather which seemed to have already been started.
I wanted to read the headlines so swapped to iplayer and they were still in the discussion.

Edit: ignore me! I must have hit the bar at bottom as I use noticed the clock is saying 1527!

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

Seems as if the News Channel is on the World Feed as there’s no clock on the flipper.

That said… the flipper is actually working.

But tuning in wanting to get the very latest on the developments with Nicola Sturgeon and you’re greeted with a huge QR code saying to follow the story there whilst they report on a story about the Egypt boat fire.

What really is the point in the News Channel now, if it’s just telling you to look on the website anyway.
[-] The following 4 users Like RDJ's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald

I bet someone at BBC News is now convinced there is an establishment conspiracy to arrange UK-centric events at extremely inconvenient times for them to have a fully staffed opt from the global feed. Big Grin
[-] The following 12 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, Independent, James2001, MLehon, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, TJTSW

What even is this layout...

[Image: UYXzfA0.png]

(11-06-2023, 04:52 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  What even is this layout...
'Confused' is probably the best description.

[*]4:3 lower third graphics
[*]16:9 image (except for the odd blank space on the right)

I guess the two dozen viewers still watching in 4:3 will be rather confused by the 'talking earring' on the left, and also probably have no idea about QR codes in the first place.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer