BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(19-06-2023, 08:13 AM)South Wrote:  I believe it was originally stated last year at the time of the Rollout of the new studio B that a graphics refresh would follow this year. I think everyone assumed that would be at the launch of the new combine service. However at the launch I remember someone saying that a major overhaul has been delayed due to budgetary constraints. Therefore I would agree that there is not likely to be any refresh of graphics this year.
it’ll be the year 3000 at this rate
[-] The following 1 user Likes Superman1986's post:
  • Nutfield001

Perhaps a comprehensive 'refresh', or even overhaul, of BBC News presentation was once planned -- there were certainly noises to that effect some months ago. Perhaps it was simply a miscommunication -- the promise of 'new looks' and 'fresh titles' might have been a case of Chinese whispers; as the information passed from one person to another, a reference to the p!ss-poor title sequences for the new branded programme blocks could easily have been gradually reinterpreted as 'a whole new look is coming'. 

But whatever was previously planned, I think it's becoming increasingly clear that what we've got now is what we're stuck with:

[*]the existing globe-and-cats-cradle look for BBC One bulletins, as well as for 'regular' BBC News channel bulletins, and the Nations; 
[*]a completely different style (with location footage and scrolling placenames) for the English regions; and 
[*]a whole bunch of different but entirely generic styles that look like free templates for publishing your personal podcast -- all of them inexpertly based around nothing more substantial than "any f**king circle" and "shades of red" -- for branded segments on BBC News. 

The fact that Reporting Scotland has literally just introduced refreshed titles with the maps-and-cats-cradle style is surely proof enough that this look isn't going away any time soon. And when also viewed in the context of the recent introduction of the sh!tty titles for Verified Live, News Now, et.al -- and the recent update of the National titles with Chameleon branding -- I don't think it's realistic to expect another 'refresh' of any kind anytime soon. 

This sorry, embarrassing, amateur mishmash of styles -- along with the idiotic changes to the functionality of the lower thirds, while still retaining the same design -- appears to be the refreshed BBC News brand identity, in its totality.
[-] The following 17 users Like LDN's post:
  • ALV, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, ginnyfan, Ittr, Jayesyn, LargelyALurker, Newsroom, oscillon, Quantum+83, seenee, Spencer, Stuart, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(19-06-2023, 09:54 AM)LDN Wrote:  Perhaps a comprehensive 'refresh', or even overhaul, of BBC News presentation was once planned -- there were certainly noises to that effect some months ago. Perhaps it was simply a miscommunication -- the promise of 'new looks' and 'fresh titles' might have been a case of Chinese whispers; as the information passed from one person to another, a reference to the p!ss-poor title sequences for the new branded programme blocks could easily have been gradually reinterpreted as 'a whole new look is coming'. 

But whatever was previously planned, I think it's becoming increasingly clear that what we've got now is what we're stuck with:

[*]the existing globe-and-cats-cradle look for BBC One bulletins, as well as for 'regular' BBC News channel bulletins, and the Nations; 
[*]a completely different style (with location footage and scrolling placenames) for the English regions; and 
[*]a whole bunch of different but entirely generic styles that look like free templates for publishing your personal podcast -- all of them inexpertly based around nothing more substantial than "any f**king circle" and "shades of red" -- for branded segments on BBC News. 

The fact that Reporting Scotland has literally just introduced refreshed titles with the maps-and-cats-cradle style is surely proof enough that this look isn't going away any time soon. And when also viewed in the context of the recent introduction of the sh!tty titles for Verified Live, News Now, et.al -- and the recent update of the National titles with Chameleon branding -- I don't think it's realistic to expect another 'refresh' of any kind anytime soon. 
Speculating, but maybe they're reluctant to spend too much, which might give the perception of the BBC having lots of money to spare despite the two year licence fee freeze. On the one hand you have staff striking over proposed cuts to local radio and cuts through the recently merged news channels. On the other you have regions being upgraded to HD and new sets being rolled out.

Whilst new titles and graphics are probably a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of new sets they're probably seen as being the least necessary spend for now. At time they're telling local radio they need to cut costs they might be cautious of undermining those arguments.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 7 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83, TVFan, UTVLifer

(19-06-2023, 09:54 AM)LDN Wrote:  But whatever was previously planned, I think it's becoming increasingly clear that what we've got now is what we're stuck with:

I nearly choked on my cuppa with that one. Big Grin

Your comments should come with a health & safety warning! Tongue
[-] The following 7 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, Newsroom, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

I don’t even mind they’re still using the globe cats and cradle look. To be honest my only issue is the Chameleon branding on the main titles. It just looks a mess. It would be so much better if they lined up ‘BBC’ and ‘NEWS’ together in the white space opposite the globe, similar to what’s on the screen in the studio.

Leave the chameleon branding to the countdown and bumpers, which look fine. Titles do not need chameleon (in my opinion).

And, don’t get me started on the titles for the recently introduced slots on BBC News!
[-] The following 8 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, LargelyALurker, LDN, oscillon, Quantum+83, Transmission, UTVLifer

www.bbc.co.uk 

How did that video even make it to air, the back focus is clearly totally out on the camera. They zoom in to focus, then zoom out and its way out of focus.
[-] The following 2 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83

(19-06-2023, 09:39 AM)Superman1986 Wrote:  it’ll be the year 3000 at this rate

Did Busted mention it?
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Former Member 406, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Superman1986, UTVLifer

Studio E for the News at Six this evening

OMG AM I DREAMING? IS THIS 2022? GILL SANS? OLD DOG? TRUNDLE CAM?
[Image: 773a4709d0046246d3477f01429e940e.png]
[Image: e2805fe007a274ad3791406718962e3c.png]
[Image: 60820b3c1af5139d95dc92f6786fe09d.png]
[-] The following 12 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Newsroom, oscillon, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(19-06-2023, 06:00 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Studio E for the News at Six this evening

The red box is back!

Must be problems in B. I noticed during the 1 none of the screens on the right were being used (left from the presenter view) for DTL interviews, the weather was pre recorded and the presenter didn't stand at the catwalk when handing to the nation's and regions.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83