BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Also another alkward finish from Newswatch to back to Breafast with an odd shot of Mike Bushall before Charlie starts talking

(24-06-2023, 08:07 AM)steve Wrote:  Yes, I just watched that and thought exactly the same. If four in ten viewers think the mix is wrong, that’s not brilliant!

I suspect it’s also a very difficult thing to ‘survey’ anyway.

I think Paul Royall is very good, but I did feel watching him that he was going through the scripted lines defending something he perhaps doesn’t 100% believe in…

Did feel like a bit like government minister spouting the scripted lines they've been briefed on which results in not actually answering the question (and actually raising more), not really knowing what they're talking about or even believing it.
[-] The following 5 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83, steve, TJTSW, UTVLifer

UK feed rejoined World an hour earlier, at 9am UKT, to cover mutiny in Russia.
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(24-06-2023, 12:11 AM)News76 Wrote:  3-They have surveyed the wrong people
But why aren't they doing everything to cater exactly to me!!!
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Ashley, cando, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain

To be honest, yesterday evening is probably one of the few times I've seen anybody normal complain about the News channel - though, of course, what they're complaining about is the channel's inflexibility last night when they decided to stick with programmes like the whingefest that is Newswatch rather than cover the actual breaking news.

Now, of course, there are reasons that the News channel may not have gone that early with breaking news (and they were faster than most other channels), but I just thought I'd note the irony that one of the only times I've seen anybody off this forum complain about the new channel has been about them airing a navel-gazing exercise about said new channel.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • JosiahStuart, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

I take it they've at least dropped the back half hours today?
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • oscillon, Quantum+83

What a breath of fresh air Gareth Barlow is on the BBC News Channel! He has real authority and urgency in his presentation and reminds me a bit of Ben Brown. Unlike some presenters who are somewhat deadpan and give the impression that they’re just going through the motions, Gareth manages to convey the sense that something significant is happening right the way through a shift. I look forward to seeing him being used widely across BBC platforms.
[-] The following 11 users Like Newshound's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, Chud, harshy, Jayesyn, Jeff, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer, Worzel

(24-06-2023, 01:21 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I take it they've at least dropped the back half hours today?
Yes, it's full rolling news mode today.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • oscillon, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Reith85, UTVLifer

(24-06-2023, 01:42 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, it's full rolling news mode today.

This is the sort of story you’d hope the new Channel could excel on - an international story of huge significance. Last night though the BBC was incredibly slow to react, they seem to making up for it a bit today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • UTVLifer

(24-06-2023, 02:12 PM)steve Wrote:  This is the sort of story you’d hope the new Channel could excel on - an international story of huge significance. Last night though the BBC was incredibly slow to react, they seem to making up for it a bit today.

Is that because the news channel effectively has no UK overnight operation now, outsourcing the hours abroad?
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer