BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The award for the most useless graphics goes to BBC News. Not a single word on that screen is of any use to anybody.

[Image: IMG-0061.jpg]
Can’t even be arsed to get the right colour on the full screen breaking news graphic.

[Image: IMG-0062.jpg]

Shambles. There is simply no pride in the channel
[-] The following 17 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, harshy, ilsondan15, James, Ma76, matthieu1221, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, SlimyTrain, TJTSW, TVenthusiasm, Universal_r, what

This shows the current BBC graphics at their absolute worst for me.

[Image: image.png]

Tiny serif text (where everything else on screen is sans serif), drowning in dead space to all sides. 

Either have two lines of text (like they used to), or reduce the size of the graphic.

I'll get the praise out of the way. The new Breakfast/Sport studio looks really nice. A long overdue change for Breakfast, and a nice refresh for the sports bulletins. I'm also a fan of the new graphics for BBC Sport. I've never been a massive fan of yellow, but the various shades mixed with cyan elements looks really good.

Now onto the negatives, which can pretty much be summed up in one word. Why? Since the merger, there's been various problems with the graphics, notably how they've been utilised. Whether that be the reduction of the strap from a useful source of background information to a bare bones indicator to the topic at hand, or the flipper either being completely non-functional, or only containing three stories at any one time. What has been done to fix this? Completely removing the flipper? Reducing the strap size to make better use of screen space?

Neither. All they've done is change some colours to make it so that every story looks like breaking news, thus making it looks like every story is a breaking story. I don't like to be this negative, because there are people who will have worked on these graphics and are presumably trying their best in less than ideal circumstances, but if you can't fix something that is broken, then just leave it. My design skills aren't the best, but I'm fairly sure I could produce an updated version of the graphics that better fit the (seemingly minimal) requirements for the news channel within a day. I do have to ask at this point, who is signing off on all this? Because it feels like there's no care anymore, and it's just embarrassing now.

And just as I'm about to post, they've gone back to the grey strap, but presumably just for World Business Report...

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 12 users Like BBI45's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Frances, LDN, Ma76, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, Universal_r, what

Been a busy morning and only just put the news channel on. I honestly thought it was the end of an update on some breaking news, it wasn’t till the next story came up I’m realised that this was the new lower thirds.

The business news is on and that’s got the old black lower thirds.

What the actually is going on? I am convinced now that this has got to be a concerted effort to run the news channel into the ground. It looks so amateurish now.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 6 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85

The black strap was one of the few things that looked good in that graphics package.

I guess anything goes now. There's no point in looking for alignements, coordination or any sort of visual sense. It's almost as if they are conducting an experiment to see just how much torture viewers and presenters can take. Dodgy

Next challenge - make the presenters sit on high stools without anything supporting their back. Lets see how they control their little scripts device from that position. Plus no more wide screen studio shots, that's too much excitement for our viewers.
[-] The following 7 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, Reith85

Ehh the old graphics are back on World Business Report with the transparency and the ticker is working wtf is going on with this channel.
[-] The following 8 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Daveuk, Quantum+83, Reith85, thePineapple, TVenthusiasm

Appears we've gone into UK-opt for the Covid inquiry. Breaking strap colour no longer matches clock, and the flipper has broke again.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 9 users Like BBI45's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, Ma76, Quantum+83, Reith85, thePineapple, TVenthusiasm

(26-06-2023, 02:20 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  This shows the current BBC graphics at their absolute worst for me.

[Image: image.png]

Tiny serif text (where everything else on screen is sans serif), drowning in dead space to all sides. 

Either have two lines of text (like they used to), or reduce the side of the graphic.

And why on earth is everything still 4:3 safe.   BBC World used to be the excuse but surely BBC World doesn't really broadcast anywhere in 4:3 now - and if they do they should just put the picture in a 16:9 (or at least 14:9) frame instead.    I don't think any other major international news broadcaster still keeps things 4:3 safe.

That horrible bright red of the new breaking news strap actually makes my eyes hurt! Far too brash!

Back to normal on World…let’s hope nobody notices and it stays this way!

[Image: IMG-0069.jpg]

Edit…. The red has returned 😭
[-] The following 10 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Frances, harshy, Jayesyn, LDN, Ma76, Moz, oscillon, Quantum+83