BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

It's hard to look credible and trustworthy when you can see employees pratting about in the background of a news piece. You'd think - and hope - the BBC were better than this childish display.
[-] The following 4 users Like DavidWhitfield's post:
  • AndrewP, DeMarkay, James, JJJJ

(18-07-2023, 08:11 PM)Josh Wrote:  BBC staff trying to get into shot during a HostageCam take earlier:
twitter.com 

Please tell me that those idiots are going to be disciplined.

One of those moments when you just needed a director to cut the hostage interview sooner rather than later - but no doubt the director was asleep at the wheel and no one is bothering with quality control these days.

It looks like the Washington studio if that wasn't obvious with the background. I am not sure what they can do, its just a feed, who is to know it happens to be broadcast live.....they could have been having a joke with someone on the gallery!
[-] The following 6 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AndrewP, chaose, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, strollfan, TJTSW

(18-07-2023, 09:18 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  Please tell me that those idiots are going to be disciplined.

One of those moments when you just needed a director to cut the hostage interview sooner rather than later - but no doubt the director was asleep at the wheel and no one is bothering with quality control these days.

I think you're over-reacting, there is nothing wrong with having a very subtle bit of fun on a news channel, it doesn't have to be serious 24/7, you can have fun in a job.
[-] The following 11 users Like Hemsright's post:
  • agentsquash, Alessi, AndrewP, chrisherald, Former Member 237, Frances, justinh, Nobby, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, strollfan

(18-07-2023, 09:18 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  Please tell me that those idiots are going to be disciplined.

If your studio is off air, how is it your fault that the hostage box in London has got you displayed as an OS?

The people taking selfies during the Queen announcement was not on. This line is a lot more blurred.
[-] The following 7 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, strollfan, thePineapple, xlalonce

(18-07-2023, 08:43 PM)msim Wrote:  Add this to the two morons who decided to take selfies in full view of the cameras during the Queen death announcement.

And yet when you Google "photographs, young people, behind, Huw Edwards" now, there is no mention of that incident on the first few pages at all. Have the BBC buried that incident somehow? Give their SEO team a raise.
[-] The following 3 users Like Nobby's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, SlimyTrain

(18-07-2023, 09:31 PM)Hemsright Wrote:  I think you're over-reacting, there is nothing wrong with having a very subtle bit of fun on a news channel, it doesn't have to be serious 24/7, you can have fun in a job.
You can indeed - look at Ben Thompson the other day shielding from the snake he couldn’t bear the sight of…a good example of on-air fun that stays within the lines of professionalism. This is a bit different.

I’m also not suggesting that having a group of young people parading through a studio pulling silly faces at the camera is the biggest crime news broadcasting has ever seen. However it’s bloody lucky that Theo Leggett was doing a story about Jaguar Land Rover and not, say, a plane crash as he has in the past - how crass and insensitive would that have looked? The Mail would have had a field day.

It also speaks to a general impression of “anything goes” at BBC News at the moment. Why were those kids doing this in the first place? Were they on some sort of training day? If so, why hadn’t the senior team in Washington ensured that studio was offline? Why did the team in London responsible for those screens leave that OS up and visible? Why didn’t they notice when it continued appearing on screen for so long?

To reiterate, this wasn’t a televisual disaster. However it reinforces my view that people internally have stopped giving as big a stuff about the output of the Channel than they used to - and that’s a slippery slope..
[-] The following 5 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, oscillon, Reith85, xlalonce

(18-07-2023, 09:43 PM)Nobby Wrote:  And yet when you Google "photographs, young people, behind, Huw Edwards" now, there is no mention of incident on the first few pages at all. Have the BBC buried that incident somehow? Give their SEO team a raise.

Nope. The BBC and other news outlets have respected Huw Edwards's wife plea for privacy and have stopped reporting on the issue for the time being.

(18-07-2023, 09:49 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  You can indeed - look at Ben Thompson the other day shielding from the snake he couldn’t bear the sight of…a good example of on-air fun that stays within the lines of professionalism. This is a bit different.

I’m also not suggesting that having a group of young people parading through a studio pulling silly faces at the camera is the biggest crime news broadcasting has ever seen. However it’s bloody lucky that Theo Leggett was doing a story about Jaguar Land Rover and not, say, a plane crash as he has in the past - how crass and insensitive would that have looked? The Mail would have had a field day.

It also speaks to a general impression of “anything goes” at BBC News at the moment. Why were those kids doing this in the first place? Were they on some sort of training day? If so, why hadn’t the senior team in Washington ensured that studio was offline? Why did the team in London responsible for those screens leave that OS up and visible? Why didn’t they notice when it continued appearing on screen for so long?

To reiterate, this wasn’t a televisual disaster. However it reinforces my view that people internally have stopped giving as big a stuff about the output of the Channel than they used to - and that’s a slippery slope..
I can agree with you on most parts, I wouldn't be here right now if the story being reported was something extremely serious. Also I think they did it because they knew they were on as they can see the output on BBC News & I guess they wanted to do something fun - It's just really sad that people on this forum are acting like its the worst thing to ever happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hemsright's post:
  • chrisherald

It's the BBC not Fox..... relax.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 237's post:
  • SlimyTrain