BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Please don’t give them any more ideas!

I struggle to watch the channel for too long already as my TV is plasma and my phone is OLED - both susceptible to burn-in.

Maybe the BBC should be considering that if they are obsessed with making the channel more watchable on mobile.
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald, harshy, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

I think Olly may be looking for someone!!

up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 10 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, BBI45, bkman1990, DeMarkay, MLehon, Nobby, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, watchingtv

(21-07-2023, 12:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  Why do they do intro and say it’s three hours of fast paced news bla bla bla, it’s not, it’s the same thing.

Because it's a three hour programme?

(21-07-2023, 12:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  If they really want to go opaque graphics overload they should make the live graphic opaque too with strobing reds and whites.

Couldn't agree with you more. I think it would look great! Really bold and bright colours are what we need. Gotta grab people's attention!
[-] The following 2 users Like KatsKaravan's post:
  • AIB01WB, chrisherald

(21-07-2023, 12:03 PM)harshy Wrote:  Why do they do intro and say it’s three hours of fast paced news bla bla bla, it’s not, it’s the same thing.

If they really want to go opaque graphics overload they should make the live graphic opaque too with strobing reds and whites.

LOLZ!

Technically it's  also not 3 hours unless its the top of the first hour. 

Load of rubbish. 

Has anyone not come up with an 'ism' for Amroliwala's trademark throwing his script down to the left as he starts speaking at the TOTH?
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AIB01WB, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, rkolsen

I think I like going directly with the inspiration and calling it an 'Amroliwalaism'.
[-] The following 8 users Like PJamo's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Newsroom, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I believe he has always done it - even back in the good old days of the BBC News Channel when he regularly presented with Jane Hill.

It makes sense really to quickly check your script before going live, plus you almost have to do something at the TOTH as there is always an awkward 2 or 3 second pause between cutting to the studio at the end of the countdown and the cue to start.
[-] The following 5 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Here he is doing it at the close of a weekend national in 2001!

m.youtube.com 
[-] The following 9 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Newsroom, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, watchingtv

(18-07-2023, 09:08 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  It's hard to look credible and trustworthy when you can see employees pratting about in the background of a news piece. You'd think - and hope - the BBC were better than this childish display.

(18-07-2023, 09:18 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  Please tell me that those idiots are going to be disciplined.

One of those moments when you just needed a director to cut the hostage interview sooner rather than later - but no doubt the director was asleep at the wheel and no one is bothering with quality control these days.

I watched it just now on my TV. I don’t think they’re employees - one of them was wearing a muscle shirt. All of them had badges and lanyards that are vertical and from what Ive seen regular employees have horizontal badges

My bet is either they were guests, taking a tour or a group that was going to be interviewed.

(15-07-2023, 01:56 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  twitter.com 

BBC World has been pretty poor in its coverage of the region.

(21-07-2023, 09:42 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I believe he has always done it - even back in the good old days of the BBC News Channel when he regularly presented with Jane Hill.

It makes sense really to quickly check your script before going live, plus you almost have to do something at the TOTH as there is always an awkward 2 or 3 second pause between cutting to the studio at the end of the countdown and the cue to start.

I was watching a video of German (or possibly Czech) news intros the other day, some of their intros they have two presenters standing in the studio, dimly lit as there is a countdown, for 10-20 seconds. Having to look as if they are talking about something before the intro. Talk about awkward!
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

I guess we should be thankful that on this new BBC News Channel, there is the option to opt-out to bring UK audiences news that is significant for us but irrelevant for international viewers, such as Starmer's speech this morning. But all it highlights is that the UK "feed" of the channel has next to zero budget now. Presentationally, there's no professionalism to the channel - UK opts crash out and then back into the international channel, there's no dedicated studio available to the UK stream, yesterday morning during the by-election coverage, the UK stream couldn't even manage proper TOTH headline sequences, so presumably there's no separate presentation gallery available to the UK stream either.

I'm probably very late to the thread with these thoughts. I just find it quite sad. The channel is rarely, if ever, mentioned on domestic bulletins now as somewhere to go for more news & analysis. The BBC is purely relying on people's loyalty and trust in the BBC News brand to keep viewers. If the license fee is abolished by the next UK government, maybe that will be the final nail for any UK news channel output. Or it'll become a subscription service, in which case, a much more professional operation would be expected.
[-] The following 12 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, LDN, Quantum+83, Rolling News, TVHead, UTVLifer