BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I've noticed a few times when they do the 'long outro ' at the bottom of the half hour, the camera judders when it hits the end of the track. Like in this example from a few weeks ago

m.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald

(22-07-2023, 11:47 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  I've noticed a few times when they do the 'long outro ' at the bottom of the half hour, the camera judders when it hits the end of the track. Like in this example from a few weeks ago

m.youtube.com 

It’s been doing that for years, that bbc news outro music is still top quality after all these years it’s a shame they usually rush the end though.
[-] The following 5 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, Rolling News

It was always evident sacrificing the morning slot especially would be problematic for UK breaking news.

I do think even with the content produced now there is a bit of flexibility to shift one show to a UK focus, assuming they can now put out two rolling programmes simultaneously.

I assume there are currently two UK based World shifts in the morning then the branded shows at 12, 3, 6 and 8. For me as a starting point I'd have the morning World shifts stretched to 1pm, then branded 3-hour shows at 1, 4 and 7. That frees up one team to be UK only either airing either 9-12 or a split shift of 10-12 and 2-4.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(22-07-2023, 11:59 AM)harshy Wrote:  It’s been doing that for years, that bbc news outro music is still top quality after all these years it’s a shame they usually rush the end though.

I think it’s used to fill time if they finish a little early. Agree it’s good music and one good thing about this merger is we get to hear it more often in the U.K.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, Quantum+83

(21-07-2023, 07:12 PM)STVenthusiasm Wrote:  I think Olly may be looking for someone!!

up.metropol247.co.uk 

There was more presenter and gallery creativity in that 15 seconds of output than a day's worth of NC output from studio C.
[-] The following 12 users Like Worzel's post:
  • agentsquash, AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, oscillon, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer, watchingtv

(22-07-2023, 10:43 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  The BBC is purely relying on people's loyalty and trust in the BBC News brand to keep viewers.
Well it's not not working - despite the freakout over April's viewing figures, those for June showed the channel's reach and audience share higher than the last four pre-merger months, though the Average Daily Minutes watched is still lower. Thus far, the merger has not substantively dented the channel's UK audience. To be honest, not especially surprising - regardless of some complaints on here, UK news is hardly uncovered on the channel.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • KatsKaravan, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell

(22-07-2023, 11:59 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  It was always evident sacrificing the morning slot especially would be problematic for UK breaking news.

I do think even with the content produced now there is a bit of flexibility to shift one show to a UK focus, assuming they can now put out two rolling programmes simultaneously.

I assume there are currently two UK based World shifts in the morning then the branded shows at 12, 3, 6 and 8.  For me as a starting point I'd have the morning World shifts stretched to 1pm, then branded 3-hour shows at 1, 4 and 7.  That frees up one team to be UK only either airing either 9-12 or a split shift of 10-12 and 2-4.

There's currently 3 morning presenter shifts from NBH; 5 - 7am, 7 - 9am & 9am - 12pm.
Yet on Wednesdays, there's no actual dedicated full hour of news on the UK stream until 1pm. 
I don't understand why 9am - 12pm can't be 3 hours of UK focussed news and branded as such with say Martine, Karin or Annita, it could be called "UK Today". After all, the channel is meant to focus on its core markets at peak times in those markets. 
9am - 12pm is a busy time for developing UK news and the UK news agenda is set for the day, and this will apply even more so over the next 12 - 18 months in the long build up to the General Election. Yet UK viewers get a radio phone-in every morning. I just don't get it.
[-] The following 13 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, harshy, LDN, Newsroom, oscillon, Quantum+83, Rolling News, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(22-07-2023, 04:19 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  There's currently 3 morning presenter shifts from NBH; 5 - 7am, 7 - 9am & 9am - 12pm.
Yet on Wednesdays, there's no actual dedicated full hour of news on the UK stream until 1pm. 
I don't understand why 9am - 12pm can't be 3 hours of UK focussed news and branded as such with say Martine, Karin or Annita, it could be called "UK Today". After all, the channel is meant to focus on its core markets at peak times in those markets. 
9am - 12pm is a busy time for developing UK news and the UK news agenda is set for the day, and this will apply even more so over the next 12 - 18 months in the long build up to the General Election. Yet UK viewers get a radio phone-in every morning. I just don't get it.

Doesn't make sense does it.   

And one more shift than I thought then.  I assume World Business Report has it's own presenter too.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(22-07-2023, 04:19 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  There's currently 3 morning presenter shifts from NBH; 5 - 7am, 7 - 9am & 9am - 12pm.
Whilst there are 3 presenter slots this doesn’t necessarily mean there are 3 gallery teams or floor managers or that those slots could be extended to allow one of them to move to a fixed UK opt.
Two of the shifts already provide the backbone for the ad hoc opt out ability for the majority of the day and therefore can on occasion be on air for over 6 hours in a day (the 7-9am presenter is the opt presenter until 2pm most days with the 9-12 presenter leading the opt out from 2 until the news at 6 and then producers cover any evening opt outs), and the third appear to be a dedicated team whose contracts could well remain unchanged from prior to the opt and who may well remain attached primarily to the business unit rather than the channel (and therefore could be unable to appear outside of their current hours without the Martine situation occurring).
The later editions of WBR ado typically have a stand alone presenter but when Ben Thompson is presenting he typically fits it around a news shift at least once a week and on occasion every day for the week.
Furthermore whilst people on here may feel that mornings are the busiest time in the news agenda the usual time for UK opts and the fact that previous human interest segments on the channel have also aired in the 9-11am slot would suggest that the busiest hours for UK News are actually 10:30-14:30 and therefore any UK opt finishing at 12 would miss a lot of UK news whilst almost certainly reducing the ability to opt during the afternoon when breaking news is arguably more likely.
[-] The following 5 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff, RhysJR, UTVLifer

It’s ridiculous, the Uk feed it’s full on red graphics all the time, too many simulcasts and the Uk opt is just a presenter on a stool stood in front of a tv screen and Nicky Campbell, at least on the world feed you get those nice chameleon trailers(who does the pres on the global feed), no Nicky Campbell but proper news, and on the half hour programmes they show a nice transparent bbc news logo with no ticker, the Uk licence fee viewers have got it bad with bbc news Uk, they are taking the Mickey and masquerading the simulcasts as high quality Uk content.
[-] The following 8 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Radio_man, UTVLifer