BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(26-07-2023, 10:35 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I’m very glad they ditched the horizontal swiper section for top stories from the Beta version which had the effect of hiding most of the main stories.

I suspect more likely is it’s just another rogue element of BBC News’ Frankenstein mish-mash of branding styles. I’ll admit though, it looks quite nice.

I think it looks a bit too dark and ominous to me.

It’s just dark mode on your phone, surely?

(26-07-2023, 12:06 PM)Joe Wrote:  It’s just dark mode on your phone, surely?

The title picture if the globe is not just dark mode as it is showing on the normal version too.
[-] The following 3 users Like South's post:
  • AndrewP, KatsKaravan, Quantum+83

I just feel like I am constantly scrolling down now where at least the previous app was split into topics. It’s the same with those bottom icons on the old app. They were really useful. 

I don’t mind the home as there is a wide variety of stories and topics on show which may catch your eye but it just feels cramped.

It also seems iplayer is the only app which has the blocks morph into the iplayer icon. I thought the whole point of them was apparently join t he dots (what dots they were joining I have no clue). 

More and more it feels like they are just changing things for the shake of change and are literally going with their first idea. The red bbc logo just doesn’t look right.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(26-07-2023, 04:06 AM)LDN Wrote:  I don't recall seeing the BBC News globe graphic on this red-to-black gradient before (the gradient matches that used on the app's splash screen):
[Image: bbc-news-app-globe-red-bg.png]

A sign of things to come?

It reminded me of the style of the images on the login page of the BBC website, but with a darker background.

[Image: TVLF%20242.jpg]

(26-07-2023, 12:10 PM)South Wrote:  The title picture if the globe is not just dark mode as it is showing on the normal version too.
Same on mine, both light and dark mode. Looks nice. I wouldn't read anything into it though. That image was probably made specifically for the app.

Is this new update only for the UK version of the app?

I do wish BBC News would stop the practice of reporters presenting to camera whilst the action is going on behind them. Lucy Manning just looked very flustered trying to walk and report whilst Kevin Spacey left court alongside her on the News at 6. It may seem ‘clever’ but I think it really distracts from the story.

Which part of BBC News is covering the story of Sinead O'Connor's death? Did it go out on the World or UK feed?

(26-07-2023, 07:50 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Which part of BBC News is covering the story of Sinead O'Connor's death? Did it go out on the World or UK feed?

It's on both feeds, not an opt-out, rolling coverage presented by Yalda Hakim in her usual Daily Global slot.
[-] The following 3 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, UTVLifer