BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(02-08-2023, 10:45 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Geez those things are just creepy looking. Like something outta Black Mirror.
I actually think they look rather smart.  Much nicer than the Furio cameras, which now make me think of daleks without their outer casing.

Dalek Caan (Source: BBC)
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, mouseboy33

(03-08-2023, 05:53 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I actually think they look rather smart.  Much nicer than the Furio cameras, which now make me think of daleks without their outer casing.

Dalek Caan (Source: BBC)

I prefer the Furios because they can hide while trucking. Say one’s making a walk and talk to the curved wall, the Furio closest to it could be all the way down and the one tracking wouldn’t see it. They only elevate when need to.
[-] The following 3 users Like rkolsen's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(03-08-2023, 07:57 AM)rkolsen Wrote:  I prefer the Furios because they can hide while trucking. Say one’s making a walk and talk to the curved wall, the Furio closest to it could be all the way down and the one tracking wouldn’t see it. They only elevate when need to.
Yeah, I'm not generally a fan of cameras in shot, but the Furios do seem to be able to get away with it without being too intrusive and do sort of just work in C and E. The big lumbering electricfriends, though, just ruin every wideshot in B for me - like somebody has chosen to add a bunch of dark structural columns in front of all the key parts of sets.
[-] The following 14 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chaose, chris, chrisherald, James, Jayesyn, mouseboy33, Newsroom, Quantum+83, rkolsen, scottishtv, Spencer, UTVLifer

(03-08-2023, 09:13 AM)DTV Wrote:  Yeah, I'm not generally a fan of cameras in shot, but the Furios do seem to be able to get away with it without being too intrusive and do sort of just work in C and E. The big lumbering electricfriends, though, just ruin every wideshot in B for me - like somebody has chosen to add a bunch of dark structural columns in front of all the key parts of sets.
I think the problem with the Electricfriends cameras is they don't look like cameras. Everyone's used to seeing cameras on screen these days, so you don't really notice the Furios.

But when you see what appears to be a Pay and Display machine gliding through a news studio, it tends to catch your eye a bit more. Maybe over time, and if more broadcasters use them in this way, we'll get used to them more and it'll be less of an issue.
[-] The following 17 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chaose, chrisherald, James, Jayesyn, lepeterrr, LondonViewer, mouseboy33, Quantum+83, RhysJR, rkolsen, Stuart, thePineapple, Tim G, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(03-08-2023, 10:52 AM)Spencer Wrote:  But when you see what appears to be a Pay and Display machine gliding through a news studio, it tends to catch your eye a bit more..

Ok quote of the day........LOL not pay and display machines!!!!....HAHAHHAHA. Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • AndrewP, chaose, Quantum+83, Spencer, xlalonce

(03-08-2023, 10:52 AM)Spencer Wrote:  But when you see what appears to be a Pay and Display machine gliding through a news studio, it tends to catch your eye a bit more. Maybe over time, and if more broadcasters use them in this way, we'll get used to them more and it'll be less of an issue.
Maybe, but my preference, if you're going to get rid of manual operators, remains for fully robotic peds (as I believe A and D partly use), with the electricfriends very low ranked on my list. Even leaving aside the aesthetics, I remain thoroughly unconvinced as to their merits as a camera system. Despite some of the claims made at B's relaunch, they come across as slow, undynamic and inflexible - with very conventional shots and little variation in terms of height (even the Furios in low-ceiling E can do better). The BBC have the largest news set they've ever had and are unable to give it the sweeping wideshots and pan downs that it deserves.
[-] The following 11 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, IanJRedman, Jayesyn, lepeterrr, oscillon, Quantum+83, rkolsen, Spencer, UTVLifer

(03-08-2023, 09:13 AM)DTV Wrote:  Yeah, I'm not generally a fan of cameras in shot, but the Furios do seem to be able to get away with it without being too intrusive and do sort of just work in C and E. The big lumbering electricfriends, though, just ruin every wideshot in B for me - like somebody has chosen to add a bunch of dark structural columns in front of all the key parts of sets.

I’m almost done wondering if Electric Friends were selected given their Norwegian roots. Perhaps it’s better integrated with Mosartnn
[-] The following 4 users Like rkolsen's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83, xlalonce

(03-08-2023, 01:22 PM)DTV Wrote:  Maybe, but my preference, if you're going to get rid of manual operators, remains for fully robotic peds (as I believe A and D partly use), with the electricfriends very low ranked on my list. Even leaving aside the aesthetics, I remain thoroughly unconvinced as to their merits as a camera system. Despite some of the claims made at B's relaunch, they come across as slow, undynamic and inflexible - with very conventional shots and little variation in terms of height (even the Furios in low-ceiling E can do better). The BBC have the largest news set they've ever had and are unable to give it the sweeping wideshots and pan downs that it deserves.
The fact that the Laura Keunssberg show felt the need to get in a hand-held camera operator does rather back up your point.

I agree that with such an impressive space, it’s a shame it’s not shown off as well as it could be. I’d love to see a jib shot. Maybe there’s a chance they could get one in for the next election night.
[-] The following 6 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, DTV, Jayesyn, oscillon, Quantum+83

Let's be realistic though - for it's main purpose (news bulletins) you don't need more than conventional shots - you don't hear much moaning about the lack of jib shots on GB News!

Election night? Nice to have, but again, not essential. And it does seem like there are less camera mess ups in B than in E/C.

The health and safety benefits over the Furios alone are worth the slightly slower speed.

(03-08-2023, 07:00 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Let's be realistic though - for it's main purpose (news bulletins) you don't need more than conventional shots - you don't hear much moaning about the lack of jib shots on GB News!

Election night? Nice to have, but again, not essential. And it does seem like there are less camera mess ups in B than in E/C.

The health and safety benefits over the Furios alone are worth the slightly slower speed.
Fair points. I wonder though if the lower incidence of camera mess ups in B has more to do with the fact it only appears on screen for three (and until recently, two) half hours a day, compared to E which was on air for most of the day when it was home to the News Channel.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, UTVLifer