BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Noticed during Washington and Sally Burdocks hour, the bbc logo does not animate in the titles but does outside of the hours mentioned.

(09-08-2023, 02:26 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I couldn’t agree more with your last point. When I think back to when I get the channel was it’s best was in the news24 days, when they had the promos about headlines every 15 mins. Must be about 2003 as it was clamshell era. The channel worked because it was always flipping between summary of headlines, couple of stories in depth summary of headlines, news in brief. You actually got a lot of information.

Just been searching up the BBC Motion Graphics Archive and came across Suzie Brown's creation from 1999 for BBC News 24. How bits were so organised back then.

News Headlines: At 00, 15, 30 & 45.
Sports Update: At 15.
Business News: At 20.
Weather Forecast: At 25.
News Bulletin: At 30 for a five minute block.
And then in depth reports for the rest of the hour.

www.ravensbourne.ac.uk 
[-] The following 7 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

Tadgh Enright newscasting the 5am hour from London this morning. First time I’ve seen him doing anything other than business.

Just bizarre that WBR is the only show, comes with old titles, also has BBC News in a red box and turns studio C blue now but it’s pointless especially with those ridiculus red graphics, this channel just a joke presentation wise, rubbish.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • freeaxe, ilsondan15

(09-08-2023, 11:33 AM)harshy Wrote:  Just bizarre that WBR is the only show, comes with old titles, also has BBC News in a red box and turns studio C blue now but it’s pointless especially with those ridiculus red graphics, this channel just a joke presentation wise, rubbish.

Oh aren’t you a fan? You hadn’t mentioned.
[-] The following 7 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bai4943, ivlm001, Joe, Manclad83, Rob Francis, thomalex, UTVLifer

(09-08-2023, 04:25 AM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Just been searching up the BBC Motion Graphics Archive and came across Suzie Brown's creation from 1999 for BBC News 24. How bits were so organised back then.
To recycle an earlier graphic of mine, this is broadly how the channel's standard hour schedule evolved over time.
[Image: News24ClockfaceSchedule.png]
- The xx:30 news summary got shorter and shorter, becoming just a headline sequence by the latter half of the 2000s. (Conversely, the TOTH headlines got longer).
- The coming up sequence and business headlines were dropped by the mid-2000s.
- Business and sport segments got shuffled in mid-2002 and then moved back when Sport moved to Salford in 2012 (though, of course, business segments were dropped from March to November 2013).
[-] The following 11 users Like DTV's post:
  • AaronLancs, AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy, matthieu1221, PatrZDZ, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, TVFan, UTVLifer

(09-08-2023, 01:03 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Oh aren’t you a fan? You hadn’t mentioned.

Clearly not a fan it truely sucks especially after watching 20+ years of BBC World News where the bar was set so high now it’s so bad and a mish-mash of legacy and poor new stuff.
[-] The following 10 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, News76, Newsroom, Rolling News, SuperSajuuk, xlalonce

(09-08-2023, 03:56 PM)DTV Wrote:  To recycle an earlier graphic of mine, this is broadly how the channel's standard hour schedule evolved over time.
[Image: News24ClockfaceSchedule.png]
- The xx:30 news summary got shorter and shorter, becoming just a headline sequence by the latter half of the 2000s. (Conversely, the TOTH headlines got longer).
- The coming up sequence and business headlines were dropped by the mid-2000s.
- Business and sport segments got shuffled in mid-2002 and then moved back when Sport moved to Salford in 2012 (though, of course, business segments were dropped from March to November 2013
When you look at the structure of the hour like that it becomes really clear why it felt like the news channel had a much snappier pace. 

Looking at it from an adult attention span view, 1999-2002 is probably best for keeping people engaged. There’s lots of dissuasion around it but you’re looking at about 10-15mins. So lots of brief sections could actually keep people more engaged. I’ll admit I am struggling with some of these long (and slightly dull) interviews with talking heads.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 6 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(09-08-2023, 09:03 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  When you look at the structure of the hour like that it becomes really clear why it felt like the news channel had a much snappier pace.
As you suggest, what the graphic doesn't show is that how much time was spent on each story has increased over time. The first 15 minutes of an hour in the early-2000s would typically cover about seven/eight stories, with those (and sometimes even more) recapped reasonably well in the five-minute BOTH summary. By the mid-2010s, you generally only got three/four stories in the top 15 minutes, with that basically falling to two more recently (some of the slow pacing habits do precede the merger). Obviously, there are arguments for spending longer - the BBC would say it gives more analysis, though personally I find that a four-minute talking head (even internal) tends to be a less efficient way of imparting the same info as a 90-second package.

I do think there's something to be said for regular segments, particularly in terms of helping make things feel a bit more lively. News in Brief segments (including maybe delineated Around the World/UK in Brief ones) should definitely be used the old-World way of being a regular feature, rather than the current old-NC way of being used as a way to plug gaps in the running order. As I said the other day, the current Sport and Business set-up is just a total mess - on at completely random times that are simply a legacy from World's old schedule. If you're going to continue with such updates (as presumably cutting them would be a fair saving), at least do them in a way that people can seek them out if they want.
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jeff, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(09-08-2023, 06:34 PM)harshy Wrote:  Clearly not a fan it truely sucks especially after watching 20+ years of BBC World News where the bar was set so high now it’s so bad and a mish-mash of legacy and poor new stuff.
In late-2004, BBC World changed the way that opt-outs were done. For the best part of a year, a far too high proportion of opts were botched, with network frequently cutting out or in of the studio output mid-sentence.

When World followed News 24 in moving from an orange to a red clamshell in April 2005 (nine months after News 24), they only did so for the live generated titles - all other graphics remained orange, including titles for weekend summaries, The World Today and BBC News Extra. There was also a mismatch of orange graphics having a large BBC News logo and small BBC World logo, while red graphics were the other way round.

The 2007 graphics launch not only featured numerous elements outside the safe zone, with the graphics having to be altered multiple times over several weeks, but the ticker frequently broke down during the first two months of the new look and a red breaking news ticker not introduced for several months.

During the late-N8-era, the colour which the newsroom was lit for World News and World Business Report varied depending on the edition.

You complain about WBR retaining old titles, but neither the 2000, 2003 or 2006 WBR rebrands coincided with wider presentation changes.

This isn't to say that there hasn't been some sloppy presentation since the merger, but none of the actual issues are new.
[-] The following 14 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bai4943, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, ivlm001, Jeff, oscillon, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, TVFan