BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Another reminder of how great Studio E still looks after all these years, and how the Furios are so much more discreet on screen compared with the Electric Friends cameras. I wonder why the studio change occurred, though, since it’s not like B would be in use for anything else at this time of day?

Edit: Never mind, I now see Chris Cook’s explanatory tweet has been posted in the thread!
[-] The following 6 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83

Did anyone else's region news preview have the accompanying caption of "Coming up at 1.30" just now?

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

You'd think they would schedule the routine maintenance when the studio is not scheduled to be used at weekends (outside of the Sunday Ten since there's no Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg til September.)
[-] The following 6 users Like News76's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, James, Quantum+83

It’s a bit surprising that the “new” Studio B needs extensive maintenance at all, given that the new set and associated upgrades are only just over a year old. Wouldn’t any work on hoists, lighting grid, etc have taken place then, ahead of installing the new set?
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83, TJTSW, xlalonce

(16-08-2023, 01:41 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Another reminder of how great Studio E still looks after all these years, and how the Furios are so much more discreet on screen compared with the Electric Friends cameras.
As impressive as the set in B is, it still feels a downgrade on E - very hard to top, the 2001 refresh of N6 is the only national set that comes anywhere close for me. Obviously, the world class backdrop is a huge part of that, but I do also feel that the whole set just works really well and does feel part of the newsroom, even if they could maybe have 'blended' it a bit more with the backdrop. I guess we can still hope that it eventually gets a new 2022-style set, but the existing one works fine for me.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83

(16-08-2023, 02:06 PM)DTV Wrote:  As impressive as the set in B is, it still feels a downgrade on E - very hard to top, the 2001 refresh of N6 is the only national set that comes anywhere close for me. Obviously, the world class backdrop is a huge part of that, but I do also feel that the whole set just works really well and does feel part of the newsroom, even if they could maybe have 'blended' it a bit more with the backdrop. I guess we can still hope that it eventually gets a new 2022-style set, but the existing one works fine for me.

I still can’t warm to B. It just feels so sterile compared to E which i puts down to it being so bright. It still just feels like a massive warehouse however how it’s laid out it feels cluttered especially around the desk. it’s the same with the new regional sets. They lack any warmth and  it feels like they’ve just dump the sofa in the corner. Definitely a step backwards. It just feels like an updated 2008 n6

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 8 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chris, chrisherald, Daveuk, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, Stuart

(16-08-2023, 02:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  It’s a bit surprising that the “new” Studio B needs extensive maintenance at all, given that the new set and associated upgrades are only just over a year old. Wouldn’t any work on hoists, lighting grid, etc have taken place then, ahead of installing the new set?
I wouldn't be too surprised if health & safety (and the BBC's insurance) requires annual checks to be performed.

(16-08-2023, 01:53 PM)News76 Wrote:  You'd think they would schedule the routine maintenance when the studio is not scheduled to be used at weekends (outside of the Sunday Ten since there's no Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg til September.)
It could be that the relevant people are only available to do the checks/works during weekdays and/or it cost considerably more to do this work at the weekend.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Chrisckmedia, chrisherald, Quantum+83, RhysJR

They played out verified live with Matthew Amroliwala but it’s Rajini sat in the chair, don’t they label their titles on a vt clock or something?
[-] The following 6 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(16-08-2023, 02:05 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  It’s a bit surprising that the “new” Studio B needs extensive maintenance at all, given that the new set and associated upgrades are only just over a year old. Wouldn’t any work on hoists, lighting grid, etc have taken place then, ahead of installing the new set?

Hoists will require checks every six or twelve months (dependent on use / equipment type), regardless of age or condition, under various bits of H&S law (LOLER and PUWER in particular). It's not optional and it's not something you can put off to a more convenient time.
[-] The following 9 users Like mcrdev's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83, RhysJR, UTVLifer, watchingtv, xlalonce

All very interesting, thanks for the industry insight there.

I suppose that moving a couple of programmes to Studio E is hardly a problem (or even really noticeable to most viewers). I didn’t realise that such checks would be that regular, but Studio B isn’t that lightly used now that I really think about it. It just seems like relatively light use compared with Studio C which still gets over 12 hours of use per day on average!
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, xlalonce