BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(18-08-2023, 09:56 AM)DTV Wrote:  To be fair, can you point to any opinions I have expressed which I didn't state were my personal view.

And, no, I won't let users be when it comes to having takes that are detached from reality. Somebody has to provide a counterbalance to certain members in this thread, otherwise it just ends up with pages of people agreeing that viewing figures have substantially decreased or that the new channel is basically World News in everything but name or that the old BBC News channel was disproportionately hit in budget cuts over the last decade or that there's a financially viable international market for a UK domestic news channel or that everything bad started on the 3rd April or any of the many other nonsense arguments that have cropped up in the last few months.
With respect DTV, you're not the opinion police. If people want to think conspiracies then they will, and no amount of grandstanding on your part will change that. At least they're fairly innocuous conspiracies! Hardly GB News material Wink 

It may be fair to say this merged channel was always the natural destination, given the constant cuts and increased simulcasts over the last 5-10 years. So no, it's not the case that 'everything bad started on the 3rd April'. What started on 3rd April isn't even that bad, really. The presentation is rubbish, and the missing presenter situation is odd, but hopefully these are teething problems.

And that's part of the problem, the idea that there is a financially viable international market for a UK domestic news channel. We all know that and the BBC does too. But they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have to please both licence fee payers and worldwide viewers. Personally I wish the channel had become World News in everything but name.
[-] The following 3 users Like KatsKaravan's post:
  • AndrewP, Quantum+83, Reith85

(18-08-2023, 09:56 AM)DTV Wrote:  To be fair, can you point to any opinions I have expressed which I didn't state were my personal view.

And, no, I won't let users be when it comes to having takes that are detached from reality. Somebody has to provide a counterbalance to certain members in this thread, otherwise it just ends up with pages of people agreeing that viewing figures have substantially decreased or that the new channel is basically World News in everything but name or that the old BBC News channel was disproportionately hit in budget cuts over the last decade or that there's a financially viable international market for a UK domestic news channel or that everything bad started on the 3rd April or any of the many other nonsense arguments that have cropped up in the last few months.

Respectfully, I'm not sure it's your forum to be able to write 'No I won't users be when it comes to...X, Y or Z. 

Please don't take this the wrong way DTV, I find your posts usually very insightful and your knowledge of the industry is very thorough, however when it comes to this particular subject, you just have to accept people have very varied and passionate views.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AndrewP, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk

(18-08-2023, 09:23 AM)Keith Wrote:  I'd still like to think that the News channel could provide more of a UK service on weekdays between 9am to 5pm.  This could be through a combination of BBC One simulcasts, putting programmes in some back-half hours for non-UK viewers to enable UK focused half hours, and full opt-out bulletins with separate presenters.  If the 5 presenters currently off-air returned to screen then potentially one of those could even be used for a UK-opt out bulletin(s).

This is essentially what we had on the UK NC in January & February this year, but even a core daytime UK NC service like this was deemed too expensive to keep running, even though most of the morning on BBC 2 is a NC simulcast.
Ideally this would've been the long term solution for both channels - World News might still have needed to rebrand to BBC News due to the majority of programming still being shared, but both channels staying separate between the core UK hours for breaking news of 9am - 6pm on weekdays was obviously a better solution than a 24/7 fully merged service, especially in the run-up to a UK General Election.

But the BBC execs decided to go for a full merger and we've got what we have now.
[-] The following 4 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

So often the BBC is upheld as an example of impartial and reliable journalism whenever it is discussed in an international context, especially in providing foreign language services to areas where they're probably banned from receiving them anyway.

It is therefore very disappointing that as impartial and honest journalism is under threat in the UK like never before that the same effort isn't put in to protecting the UK news channel.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, matthieu1221, Nige, Nobby, Quantum+83

(18-08-2023, 10:19 AM)KatsKaravan Wrote:  you're not the opinion police. If people want to think conspiracies then they will, and no amount of grandstanding on your part will change that. At least they're fairly innocuous conspiracies! Hardly GB News material
(18-08-2023, 10:46 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'm not sure it's your forum to be able to write 'No I won't users be when it comes to...X, Y or Z. 
you just have to accept people have very varied and passionate views.
Again, I feel this is just a complete misrepresentation of what I said. I didn't say people can't air their differing views on here, just that if you are going to conject about these kinds of things, I feel it's reasonable to be challenged and asked to show your working out, especially if you're alleging some kind of malice on the part of decision makers.

I'm also well aware that people have varied views on the merger, not least because there are at least three members who have posted pretty much the same thing, pretty much everyday for several months. This has included one member with a tendency to post things that have already been debunked, and, again, I feel that it is reasonable to be a little annoyed if members continue to say things that are objectively untrue.
[-] The following 8 users Like DTV's post:
  • all new phil, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Critique, Joe, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain

For some reason the UK feed is not taking the NaO today, but instead staying with the World feed at 1PM. The EPG still shows NaO being scheduled.

Another weird thing to point out is that the lower thirds and flipper is INSIDE the BSL pushback rather than OUTSIDE the pushback. I suspect Gallery A is outputting the UK feed's BSL, and relaying Studio C's feed inside the pushback...
[Image: 1014e9810e7b1463ee48ee09f17d7d70.png]

EDIT: It seems they stayed with the World feed so they can cover the Lucy Letby case verdict... Usually this would've been an opt out from the balcony instead?

EDIT 2: Another observation - For some reason the graphics from Business Briefing (the 0530 business programme that got cancelled in 2020) are still laying around in the system and they've used its background graphic to show the portrait of Lucy Letby... A little bit of nostalgia from the late Gill Sans era~
[Image: 6a5365852e4b2b48be7b7391ad0c367f.png]
[-] The following 6 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83

Yes, the verdicts had been coming in over the past few days but unable to be reported while deliberations still ongoing so the broadcasters will have known quite likely they would be reporting this from 1pm.

I thought the coverage on the One with Jane Hill, and Anna Foster live in Manchester on the Channel is very strong. Shows the value of having someone of Anna Foster's quality able to anchor on the scene for such a horrific, significant case.
[-] The following 6 users Like steve's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85

Personally, I'm not against having a merged service, it's more the sloppiness of the execution and design that annoys me.

I'd much rather the UK opts used Studio E instead of the balcony.

I'm not really familiar with how the technical side of things work, but there do seem to be more bloopers than before.

There is a channel called Bax / MoreBax that has compilations of these on YouTube.

As echoed by others, some users seem to think that every change that has taken place since April has been a disaster.

I beg to differ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Marcell's post:
  • xlalonce

I thought this would warrant a UK only opt, but this is going out on World.
[-] The following 5 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

On the News at Six regional headline opt, the NC UK feed is taking North West Today headlines rather than Sportsday headlines tonight. Based on the magnitude of today's events, I think it is fair to assume the UK feed will take NWT at 1830. Worth to keep an eye out.

[Image: 58a767a0ada04203c80f08796a0ce700.png]
[-] The following 6 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, PatrZDZ