BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(28-08-2023, 07:42 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  I remember Laura Whitmore's Sunday morning show on 5 Live used to also be broadcast from London, as well as Nihal Arthanyake's afternoon show which also comes from NBH iirc

Nihal's in Salford.

Newscast is expanding to weekends, with Paddy O'Connell and Laura Kuenessberg hosting new Saturday and Sunday editions.

twitter.com 

I really wish they'd give Newscast a bit of a refresh, ditching the cartoonish graphics and the soundbite intro would be start. I know it's supposed to be a more lighthearted podcast but compared to some more recent news based podcast such as News Agents and The Rest is Politics it's feeling a bit tired.

Weekend editions are a good move however as certainly fill a current gap among the competition.

Is this channel seriously still in on air? *serious question
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • News76

(29-08-2023, 06:12 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Is this channel seriously still in on air? *serious question

Yes unfortunately although at this point we'd be better off venting at Ofcom since the BBC have got their fingers in their ears over this.
[-] The following 8 users Like News76's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, harshy, Newsroom, Nige, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

(29-08-2023, 06:05 PM)thomalex Wrote:  I really wish they'd give Newscast a bit of a refresh, ditching the cartoonish graphics and the soundbite intro would be start....
Given they've recently added garish cartoonish graphics onto Radio 4 programme images, I don't think they'll be going any time soon...

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

Do we know what sort of reach the Newscast... etc podcast have?

(29-08-2023, 08:34 PM)News76 Wrote:  Yes unfortunately although at this point we'd be better off venting at Ofcom since the BBC have got their fingers in their ears over this.

It was once a great channel but as a presentation enthusiast it’s awful now this news channel, it’s so basic, presenters look gormless especially when they come back during the break, studio c which used to look great when it was world news looks outdated with the presenter rooted to their desk, it’s a real shame, thankfully we have a bbc news nostalgia thread.
[-] The following 7 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Nige, Quantum+83

This feels like more a rearranging of the deckchairs with BBC News to review if it needs more presenters for the channel, or more specifically the streaming opt outs.

I've felt all along this ad-hoc format will probably end up less efficient than running two channels (well, one and a third) was.

deadline.com 
[-] The following 12 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, matthieu1221, News76, Nige, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, UTVLifer

It probably has cost more money, the five chief ex world presenters presumably got a massive pay rise, and the five previous news channels presenters will probably want the same amount if they come back, then you got all these random presenters(well they are not bad) who probably drafted in earning no where near those amounts yet are having to provide a same level of service as the top presenters who get paid £230k for doing the same thing, although I don’t think it’s helped the branded shows don’t really showcase the chiefs presenters unique skills like the previous branded shows, it’s just poor very disappointing for a pres geek, it’s sad to see.

There is hope in the sense where the network news still looks amazing and produced to a much higher standard as well as the stuff from Salford which looks very good and neither have been inflected with those dreadful red graphics.
[-] The following 7 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, Nige, UTVLifer, xlalonce